Strange leak dilemma!? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Satdpc
  • 1 Post By Robotech
  • 1 Post By The_Ghost
  • 2 Post By Need4Speed2
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Strange leak dilemma!?

I posted a few weeks back that I noticed a 12 in circumference liquid/stain below the front right side of my 08 Redline. https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/what-95517/
The liquid seemed to be slightly viscous (maybe pink?), sightly oily......was hard to tell.
Some suggested a leaking water pump, some said maybe leaking power steering fluid.

I have since marked the liquid level in the plastic radiator reservoir, topped up my power steering fluid and keeping an eye on my radiator/water temperature.
All are in normal range, no (discernible) liquid drops, no elevated temperature increases.
(I only use the car once a week for around town errands, gym, etc)

Yesterday however, I noticed a 10 ins circular WATER puddle under the same spot, front right, near the wheel.
I took it today to my mechanic to see where the leak may be coming from.......and he saw NOTHING, nada, no sign of water, oil, wet spot, stain, nothing!

WTF!!??? What are the symptoms of a slowly failing water pump?

Condensation? But after a week. (We did have rain a few days before)
Ideas?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed the same thing on my 2008 Redline CFSE w/13k miles. Checked the water pump, motor mount and no leaks anywhere. Then I notice there is a small rubber tube extending out of the bottom of that area surrounded by a segmented baffle/rubber fingered thing (sorry for such a poor description.) I didn't trace where it leads to but it looks like a drain for water from above someplace. I need to investigate further but I think this was the source of the water on the floor.
Need4Speed2 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 View Post
I posted a few weeks back that I noticed a 12 in circumference liquid/stain below the front right side of my 08 Redline. https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/what-95517/
The liquid seemed to be slightly viscous (maybe pink?), sightly oily......was hard to tell.
Some suggested a leaking water pump, some said maybe leaking power steering fluid.

I have since marked the liquid level in the plastic radiator reservoir, topped up my power steering fluid and keeping an eye on my radiator/water temperature.
All are in normal range, no (discernible) liquid drops, no elevated temperature increases.
(I only use the car once a week for around town errands, gym, etc)

Yesterday however, I noticed a 10 ins circular WATER puddle under the same spot, front right, near the wheel.
I took it today to my mechanic to see where the leak may be coming from.......and he saw NOTHING, nada, no sign of water, oil, wet spot, stain, nothing!

WTF!!??? What are the symptoms of a slowly failing water pump?

Condensation? But after a week. (We did have rain a few days before)
Ideas?
Sounds like a water pump leak. Look for signs of coolant on the block directly under the water pump.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Sounds like a water pump leak. Look for signs of coolant on the block directly under the water pump.
We did, nothing found.
Would the fluid level in the plastic radiator overflow container drop? What other symptoms would there be?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
We did, nothing found.
Would the fluid level in the plastic radiator overflow container drop? What other symptoms would there be?
It depends on how much is leaking. So far, yours didn't sound like much so you may not see a huge difference in the level. Keep an eye on it and see if it drops over time.

Another symptom is going to be fluctuating coolant temps like when you get an air bubble in the system. The more that leaks out, the more obvious it will be.
Need4Speed2 likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
A/C condensation will drip when parked if you were running A/C. Would be clear water though. Often have large puddles from this on all of my vehicles.

2007 Silver/Red Sky Redline
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Always remember this on the WP leaks. They usually start small and then quit for a while. And then they catastrophically fail. They could quit leaking for 50 miles...or as mine did, 2500 miles...but when it comes back, it will leave you stranded on the side of the road.... So make 100% sure that it was not your WP that leaked.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
What exactly fails on the LNF waterpump? It looks like a major PITA to replace after watching the engine build videos.
Is it higher RPM? Higher than normal temps it is designed for?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a280z View Post
What exactly fails on the LNF waterpump? It looks like a major PITA to replace after watching the engine build videos.
Is it higher RPM? Higher than normal temps it is designed for?
It's very expensive and a huge pain to replace!!! It's about $1500 at a dealership to have this done. Some here will tell you they've had it done for less then $800, but that's because they went to a dealer that had ZERO clue what was all involved and didn't know how to quote a job correctly.

There's a lot of "theory" on this, but we've never really figured it out. There are several MAJOR considerations for this:

1. The WP that were included on our cars were about 8 pieces pressed together. These "pressurepoints" over time leak. New designs are less then 4 pieces.
2. Since the turbo cars usually...usually fail sooner then NA cars, it could be attributed to heat. The turbo is above the WP, the cat to the back...temps in there can get very high, thus causing premature seal failure. There is very little air that circulates in that area. If you look at Cobalt SS forums, they don't have the failure rate that we do...which is odd, but the motor is transversely mounted.
3. The coolant over time "balls up". Little microscopic balls form in the coolant and lodge themselves between the seals, causing the leak.
4. One thought that used to be far-er fetched is the vibration from the balancer chain and balancers in the motor. If that was the case, there would be more failures in the Cobalt SS, HHR SS, ATS, Camaros.... However, many people aren't in tune with their vehicles like others. And a new factor that I just found out is that the balancer chain tensioner (we have 2 chains that run our cars...a timing chain, and a balancer chain that is run off the cam and is only for the 2 balancers and the WP) is oil pressure regulated. As this tensioner wears out or the tiny oil holes plug up because of lack of oil maintenance, the balancer chain can easily skip a link...thus getting the engine out of balance and creating some major vibration issues internally that many people here won't notice. This is what I think has happened to my balancer and will find out more this weekend as I'm tearing apart my timing chain.

At any rate, follow the link below to the Solstice forum to see what we came up with...

Here's a good read: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ps-fail-74909/
a280z likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you very much The_Ghost! Great read.

I've flushed the coolant when I got the car at 40k, and again at 60k with Dex-Cool.
Installed the bleeder valves to not trap air in the system (had one incident that the temp went to 225)
Maybe I should swap the catalyzed downpipe with a cat-less one to reduce temps in the area.

The hood vents should have been functional
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a280z View Post
Thank you very much The_Ghost! Great read.

I've flushed the coolant when I got the car at 40k, and again at 60k with Dex-Cool.
Installed the bleeder valves to not trap air in the system (had one incident that the temp went to 225)
Maybe I should swap the catalyzed downpipe with a cat-less one to reduce temps in the area.

The hood vents should have been functional
The hood vents won't help coolant temps. Has more to do with heat soak in other areas of the engine and how quickly heat can be pulled from the engine bay.

It seems when you replace the stock water pump, the new water pumps don't suffer from the same issue. Mine went at 70K and at 145K I have no issues...and that last 70K was with a turbo on the car.

IF your water pump does fail, replace it and it probably will never be an issue again.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
It's very expensive and a huge pain to replace!!! It's about $1500 at a dealership to have this done. Some here will tell you they've had it done for less then $800, but that's because they went to a dealer that had ZERO clue what was all involved and didn't know how to quote a job correctly.
I'm sure as hell ain't taking it to a dealer, my regular ole' mechanic will have to do the job, but having the right information beforehand to guide him will certainly make the process easier and cheaper.

That said, WHAT exactly is involved in the water pump replacement?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
That said, WHAT exactly is involved in the water pump replacement?
By the book I believe it's cat/downpipe, turbo (including oil and water supply and return and PCV), and exhaust manifold. Then you can get the water pump out.

Someone recently posted some pics about how they did it by backing the water pump out, disassembling it below the turbo, and removing the halves. They reversed to install the new one.

Caveat emptor.

2008 Red Line
D30 Override red on red
Three pedals
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
K04 Big Wheel Turbo
Solo Street Race exhaust
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
A/C condensation will drip when parked if you were running A/C. Would be clear water though. Often have large puddles from this on all of my vehicles.
UPDATE:

After making myself nuts and doing multiple checks, AC condensation drip is what it was.

Thanks all!
idle-mind and a280z like this.

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Glad it turned out to be a non-problem.
Need4Speed2 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in