Saturn Sky Forum banner

Taillight/turn signal out. How do I change the bulb?

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Knight 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to access the rear turn signal bulbs? One of mine went out and I can't figure out how to get to it to change it. :confused:

#2 ·
Not an easy task...but with some perserverance, it is feasible. :lol: To explain it on this post is nearly impossible. There r 2 hexnuts when u open the trunk on each side....on top of the tail light...u must take them out...now is the hard part..get a chisel...get some electrical tape around the tip of it..this is done so u do not mess your paint on the bumper...put it uder your tail light and with a wiggle (push up just slightly) and pull your tail light toward you...it has much resistance...u will think u r breaking it off...it is a snap on type of attachment...eventually it will give...and then u have access to that bulb...this is not the best of instructions...maybe someone else can handle it better than me...but the most important thing to remember is the chisel or screw driver with tape around it..this way u will not mess up the paint on your bumper...u definitely will need something to pry the tail light off...Good Luck

#3 ·
Someone suggested using a paint stirring stick like you get when you buy paint. The lower pin is the hardest to get undone.

Their are two pins holding the tail light in once you remove the top two screws. The two pins are top right, bottom left on the right tail light and top left, bottom right on the left tail light.

Usually the top pins come out easy, it's the bottom ones that can give you trouble.

I have removed mine probably 15 times over the last year working on mods and it's still not an easy task.

You can usually get the top pin out by pulling just a little, the bottom pin will take some prying so this is where the paint stirring stick comes in.

Once the bottom pin comes loose you need to remove the tail light by sliding it out away from the car as it kind of tucks in on the trunk side.

Be carefull as many have cracked the lower corner of their tail lights by trying to pull the lower pin out. :brentil:

#4 ·
It's a royal PITA. Lot of things can go wrong. From cracking the fixture, scratching the car, breaking the weather strips.

Perhaps the worst user serviceable access design on the entire car. Worse than the battery access.

I changed many a bulbs in my day. Some cars have been easy and obvious. Others have been not-so-obvious, but once you knew the trick, they were easy. With the SKY, even if you know the trick, and have done it before, it's still PITA.

If you do try it yourself, I would recommend having a thick micro towel at the ready once you free the fixture. The pins on the bottom of the fixture are pointed and can easily scratch the bumper, and it's nigh impossible to avoid the fixture moving about as you replace the bulb. So, as soon as you free the fixture, slip that towel between the fixture and the bumper.

#9 ·
Because the TOPIC is searchable (which is how I fond it) and the replies above did not match up with my own experience - which I documented with instructions and photos - on FB. While you may not find that useful, others may. But thanks for your criticism.

#10 ·
No need to turn changing a lightbulb into a federal project

OK, got it. Could have started a new thread here and described your How To; maybe with a few pics and a link to a Utube video instead of a direct line away from this site? Otherwise the subject has been discussed here quite thoroughly over the past 12 years.

Previous relevant thread -> Tail Lamp Replacement

#12 · (Edited)
Forget that web site...he makes something simple difficult....if u want just plug and play...go here. This is what we used. And if anyone is interested, I will ship my tail lights with these sequential lights included for 400 dollars and that would include shipping. If u live in Florida, 350 and I will install them if u bring your car here...

WebElectric Products - Sequential Turn Signals, Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, One Touch Convertible Top, Dynamite Stick, One Touch Turn Signals, Daytime Running Lights, L

#13 ·
I have to agree with marlboromike here. I admire the passion that Mike Martin has for his Sky but, some of his videos and the mods he makes are pretty cheesy.
When I first got my Sky I saw his video on putting on the Red & Black seat covers. So I went out and purchased a set of them and did my seats. Guess what? They look like cheap, ill fitting seat covers! I ended up after a week removing them and having a professional upholstery shop do my seats. In most of Mike's videos, he does make things look harder than they actually are to accomplish. He has a bit of the "bull in a china shop" approach to working on his car. But again, I do appreciate his passion and his willingness to pass on information.

#16 ·
Good gosh, it is not hard at all! Yes, the inside post (above the SKY emblem on the bumper) tends to need a little more persuasion, but just be patient and gently pry it up. I used a plastic Harbor Freight trim removal tool to get under it and push up gently. Just do not apply pressure on the clear housing. The metal post WILL eventually pop loose.

Putting it back in: Just take your time and don't let the two metal posts rub/scratch the outside paint as you move it into place. Once you see how it goes in/out, it is very logical.

After you remove and reinstall the things a few times, it gets easier also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.