These lights should be available to buy <3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
These lights should be available to buy <3

I'd love to see these rear lights become available as an aftermarket product :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58614667_10156064077276630_9004068214992273408_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	104903  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I'm thinking that advances in 3D printing will eventually lead to the home hobbyist being able to design and print one-off custom parts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I'm thinking that advances in 3D printing will eventually lead to the home hobbyist being able to design and print one-off custom parts.
Up to a point you are correct, but the 3D printer is not a Star Trek replicator, and there are a lot of things it is not well suited to produce, like these (or any) lights. Printing lenses especially presents some serious problems, although it would certainly be possible to print the molds needed to create them using a process like vacuum forming.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Perhaps not today, but I think one day we will be able to 3D print things like this.

Think how far we've come with regular printing from the days of 9 pin dot-matrix printers versus full color laser printers today. Will be interesting to see how this technology, along with 3D scanning, progresses.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
To true! Considering that they have now "printed" a heart!

Dwaine

2007 American Redline
Vin 1G8MG35X27Y120974
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Perhaps not today, but I think one day we will be able to 3D print things like this.

Think how far we've come with regular printing from the days of 9 pin dot-matrix printers versus full color laser printers today. Will be interesting to see how this technology, along with 3D scanning, progresses.
"One day" I'm certain that someone will work it out. But I think that for the foreseeable future it will be out of reach of the "home hobbyist". And there are more suitable technologies available.
Dot matrix printing has been around since the 1920s, and the first "home" color laser printer showed up in the mid-1990s, after the technology was first demonstrated around 1970.
Is technology advancing faster? Certainly, but the problems of printing an optically clear three-dimensional curved surface to the consistency needed for an acceptable auto part is pretty considerable.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
"One day" I'm certain that someone will work it out. But I think that for the foreseeable future it will be out of reach of the "home hobbyist". And there are more suitable technologies available.
Dot matrix printing has been around since the 1920s, and the first "home" color laser printer showed up in the mid-1990s, after the technology was first demonstrated around 1970.
Is technology advancing faster? Certainly, but the problems of printing an optically clear three-dimensional curved surface to the consistency needed for an acceptable auto part is pretty considerable.
Oh I agree...not saying it's happening in the next 10 years...but next 20? maybe...30 years and they would start to get to the point where homeowners could purchase them. Maybe faster. We'll see.

Keep in mind that in the 1980s a CD-ROM drive was thousands of dollars. By the late-90s, they were $50 and you could get CD writers.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in