Ticking time bomb - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Draike13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Ticking time bomb

So.... I'm there 40k miles, how many people want to guess how long (time and milage) I have before I have to replace my water pump....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190830_095052_1567176484549.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	105703  

Driving an 08 Saturn Astra
To keep the miles off my garage queen (#58 of 89 Saturn Sky Hydro Blue Redline)
and contemplating Buying an old Opel GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My '08 has 85k on the original pump. You may be listening to that ticking for a long time.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
Even though the water pump is a verified issue with these cars, this doesn't mean EVERY car had the problem. Just keep an eye on it and as long as your coolant level sensor is working, it will tell you when you have the first signs of a problem.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Even though the water pump is a verified issue with these cars, this doesn't mean EVERY car had the problem. Just keep an eye on it and as long as your coolant level sensor is working, it will tell you when you have the first signs of a problem.
Exactly. I just rolled over 150k miles and I have the original water pump. Have one sitting in a box just in case so I can fix it the day of, but so far so good.
a280z likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draike13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Exactly. I just rolled over 150k miles and I have the original water pump. Have one sitting in a box just in case so I can fix it the day of, but so far so good.
That is good to know, I just thought it was a forgone conclusion that it was going to leave me stranded at some point after 40k. But 150 on the original water pump has me sighing in relief. Of course it would be my luck it will still do it.😁

Driving an 08 Saturn Astra
To keep the miles off my garage queen (#58 of 89 Saturn Sky Hydro Blue Redline)
and contemplating Buying an old Opel GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Have a coolant flush done at the local dealership. There is general consensus among some people that the coolant balls up with age and wedges itself between the seals causing the leaks....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
So far, so good for now. I'm in the same boat, at 44,500 on mine. Yes the WP could go out... then again
other owners have stated it could last a long time before failing. Hard to compare here what could happen
on the specific car & WP at any given mileage. Some here are still on the OEM WP at high mileage, where as others here
could be on their 3rd. Such is the WP woes on the Kappa.

Changing out the old fluid is a good thing, recommend by the MFG. Nothing lasts forever. High temps, over heating
can cause a lot of damage to other parts of the motor. Not a good thing here. Any mechanical part has a life expectance
to it, which the failure rate can change with conditions, alterations/modifications, lack of proper maintenance by the owner
during it's collective life time. Expensive item to replace? Sure it is, comes with any major part replacement for any car/truck.

No we owners don't look forward to the WP going out, the time involved to replace it, the costs, and the aftermath of will it
work, will it squeal and require a return to the dealer to fix it again. Is this any worse for an owner to considered compared
to a transmission going out? The WP is a known issue with our model, but it does not mean every Kappa will have it go out
at a certain mileage on the odo.

I don't look forward to mine going out, or the costs for replacing it either. I knew this fact going in, when I bought my Sky.
Did it deter me, when I went to purchase it? Hell no... I was prepared for it to happen at any time, during my ownership.
So far.. so good.

LAC
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
I think mine went south about 55,000. I had a flush done and within 1,000 miles the pump was toast. Don't know if the flush had anything to do with it. I have had quite a few odd ball things to fix on mine. Chased gremlins for better than a year. I hope the last ones gone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
I think mine went south about 55,000. I had a flush done and within 1,000 miles the pump was toast. Don't know if the flush had anything to do with it. I have had quite a few odd ball things to fix on mine. Chased gremlins for better than a year. I hope the last ones gone.
I had to go find the original bill for the mileage count, date of service, plus costs.

It looks like I had this done back in Oct. 2015, with 28,289 on the odo, Cost for the
flush and refill was $ 124.95. Given the notation down below here, I have changed out
the fluid before the 30K, but way past the 24 months limit/waypoint for this service. Car born on date
was Oct. 2007 IIRC. 8 yrs. from born date, to first flush/fill. Way past 5 years for cooling flush.
I am not sure what the previous owner did, if anything to the radiator cooling system.
That's why I did it then, given the years since the factory installed fluid, and no previous
knowledge if the first owner had this done, more than likely not, without a service record pull
by the dealer, from the VIN #.

So over the course of the 4 years since this was done, the mileage difference of some
16,211 miles, with no problems. If GM recommendation that the Dex-Cool fluid should be changed out
after 5 years of use, I should be up for another change next Oct. Some note here, on pg. 5-29 of the
owners manual, Notice: In addition, the engine coolant could... require changing sooner at 30K or 24 months,
whichever comes first. In the back of the manual, pg. 6-6 under Additional Required Services, it is recommended
Engine Coolant system service, or every 5 years @150K. with a note, to clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and filler neck.

I have cleaned my radiator & IC too, the outside on both sides. Some grime and slime, but did the dealer clean the inside of
the radiator during this flush/refill? That I am not sure of. Condenser is another thing that I'm not sure of.

Given the cost of this service, the miles I have done so far, with the possibility of another fluid change with in
the next year, against the cost of the WP replacement, think I will stay on schedule here with what is recommended
by the factory. Sure the cost of this service, is part of the Big picture for our cars maintenance and with me
doing this service again next Oct. that's $250. in maintenance over the 6 yrs, just for the radiator/cooling system,
during my ownership to protect the cooling system on our model. Given the cost of the $900. - $1100. WP replacement,
I think it is pretty good bang for buck here for any owner. Yes the WP could go out at any time. Each car is different,
they look the same, they use the same parts, use the same recommended service, but... Murphy's Law comes into to
play for any owner.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 09-04-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in