Saturn Sky Forum banner

Tire pressure monitor

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Amorget 
#1 ·
Got in my car a week ago and the TPMS said I had 8 lbs in my left front tire. Had the tire icon with the exclamation point in it. Had picked up a nail. The pressure number was correct however it was saying it was left front but it was actually the left rear. Is there a fix or something to just be aware of and not sweat? And deviation and I am out and checking the pressure myself. Thoughts??

#2 ·
The tire sensors have to be taught to the car for it to know which one is which. It appears that your tires were rotated without this being re-done.

Who rotated your tires? There is a procedure that you can follow to reteach them yourself, but if someone else did the rotation I would go back and make them do it.

Or you can leave them as they are. It doesn't actually hurt anything beyond not knowing which is low. Since I still check them manually with a tire gauge it wouldn't bother me.

#3 ·
On my way home from work today it dawned on my sorry ass what happened. You are correct, Grasshopper. I had the front moved to the rear and vice versa. It is my mechanic who did it and is on vaca for another week. What is the procedure to do it yourself? If its not too technical I might give it a whirl.

#4 ·
All done and fixed the TPMS readout. I'm sure a lot of you know how to reset the tire sensors after rotation but for those that don't, let me impress you with my new knowledge. Insert key into ignition. Light up the dashboard and access the TPMS readout on the DIS. It doesn't matter whether it displays front or rear tire pressure as long as you are there. Take your fob press lock and unlock at the same time and hold until the horn chirps twice. Pick a tire and let a few pounds out. I held mine open maybe 3 or 4 seconds then wait about 5 to 10 seconds. The horn will chirp once. That wheel is done. Repeat that 3 more times and good to go. Your welcome!

#15 ·
I find the sensors handy to have. They alerted me once to a slow leak around a valve, and I also use then to check pressures once in awhile - they normally drop slightly over time. Changed the sender batteries after about 8 years and no issues.

Better than my BMW which tells you that you have a low tire but no details as to which one.

#16 ·
Agreed... it's not a system I would add, but I also don't mind having it.

I actually spent 3 months driving around on wheels that didn't have the sensors but I kept the wheels that did have the sensors next to where I parked. This kept the light off most of the time as my commute is only a few miles round trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.