Top came open while driving?? WTF?? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Top came open while driving?? WTF??

I've had my Sky since 2008 and baby it and keep it garaged mostly and only drive it like twice a month. I was driving down the freeway with the top down and my top opened up on the freeway. Now I don't know if I closed the top latch all the way or not by accident. I pulled over right away and closed the top back down. After I got home the top was hard to open. I had to push up on the middle bar to pop it open. Also the back latches are not reaching all the way and it's not snapping shut? I need help and not sure what has happened. I checked the bands on the both sides and they seem fine. Nothing broken or cut. Not sure?

2008 Redline
Techno Gray - 5 Speed
Black/Red Leather
6-CD/MP3
Magna-Flow
Chrome Wheels
Chromies
Stubby
Red Calipers
REDLINE Brake Light Overlay
Tint
Plate: WOLFSKY
Deposit: 10/02/07
Born: 11/9/07
Shipped: 11/14/07
Arrived: 11/30/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like the framework is out of alignment or bent. The middle bar/batten is now down, in it's shape from the original position. That's the reason you had to push it up from inside and underneath to pop it back into place. The rear catches/latches on the buttress panels, that snap down on to your trunk lid, are also out of alignment. At what speed were you doing when this happened? Under 30 mph it might not be to bad to repair this. IF it was over 30 mph, then maybe it might be a little worse than thought. This might be more than a DIY fix here.

I don't know if the dealer can or will fix this for you, but you can ask for an estimate and see what they say? They could outsource this an independent shop, that works on tops/interiors to be repaired. However it is not your fabric top that needs adjustment, it is the framework itself. Some adjustments that the dealer could make, that might get it close to where it was before. Unless they need to make major adjustments or replace something in there, this could take time and $$$$ to make it right again, not sure but then again this is dealer costs were talking about here.

Last thing I would check is your top latch just to make sure it not bent or bad in some way? The latches on the trunk lid, and their operation and parts are next in line. Can't hurt any, and if the dealer guys are sharp, they will make sure they work right.

Being that your car is garaged, then no chance of any leaks involved here, but it might not hurt to check for some just in case. No rain, no problem use a garden hose and find out if some water is getting past any of the gaskets around the windows and the trunk seals, you never know but it takes 5 minutes of your time just to be sure.

I don't know about you, but I kept a few hand tools in my trunk ( yes I do have room! ) for that emergency road side Billy Bob fix. Something to think about, just in case down the road a bit, it happens again??? I would also look at everything you can see, cables, hinges, nuts/bolts anything out of the ordinary that strikes your eye as wrong. Maybe DIY, then again if the dealer guys know what their doing, they should be able to tell you, one way or another what's up with your top operation.

Let's us know what the results are in your fix it attempt or if the dealer said what?, there are some owners here that have had work done on their top, or had dealers or an independent shop do work on their tops before, that will help you out. I'll now turn the mike over to the next owner who knows far more about it, than I do.

FWIW: Always before moving said vehicle, check and reassure that your top latch is indeed "latched". You buttress panel latches should also be checked, just a couple of pushes down on them, before you drive off. I check this almost every time when my top is in the UP position. When stored away in the trunk, check to make sure nothing is pinched or binding up on your top. A must is that your top latch be left in the open position when stored, otherwise it will get bent by the trunk catch when you store it away for top down cruises. IF it is bent by this it won't latch onto the interior catch when you close the top. An "adjustment" by you the owner will have to be made if this happens. IF it is really bad, parts and availability will be needed to bring it back to safe operation.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 03-21-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, Do you think the buttresses got moved? I can close the top but the buttresses are hard to reach to snap. Off by a half inch maybe. I'll check the top bar and I printed out your hardware page and I will inspect. I called the dealer to get an estimate. I will report back here as I find out more.

2008 Redline
Techno Gray - 5 Speed
Black/Red Leather
6-CD/MP3
Magna-Flow
Chrome Wheels
Chromies
Stubby
Red Calipers
REDLINE Brake Light Overlay
Tint
Plate: WOLFSKY
Deposit: 10/02/07
Born: 11/9/07
Shipped: 11/14/07
Arrived: 11/30/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFSKY View Post
Thanks, Do you think the buttresses got moved? I can close the top but the buttresses are hard to reach to snap. Off by a half inch maybe. I'll check the top bar and I printed out your hardware page and I will inspect. I called the dealer to get an estimate. I will report back here as I find out more.
I don't know if this helps...

The only time I've had the issue where the butt(ress) plugs wont go into their holes has been when I didn't have the inside latch fully engaged.

I wonder if your inside hand lever/latch mechanism got messed up somehow with all the troubles you had?

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
Wolfsky,

Seeing that you are in SoCal, if you can't get it fixed. I have an extra top. I bought it from 40rty when he put the Coupe top on. Both of my tops seem to be perfect on my Sky's. If you need one let me know. It is just taking up space in the shop. I don't want to sell it, but for someone close that needs one, I will. Let me know. I must tell you that I have never taken it out of the wrapping 40rty put it in, but feel confident it is in good condition. He is a pretty good guy. Of course last resort, hoping you figure it out.

We have had two of these in the last couple of weeks. Don't think I have heard of it happening before.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking im also wanting to go to a coupe rarely have the top down anyway
Curious what my soft top would go for
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM

Garage
I paid virtually nothing for it, and bought the rear deck lid at the same time for 250 to 400, not for sure what I paid for it. I was in part collecting mode at the time and bought a lot of stuff.

I would guess a used top with everything is going for 700.00 bucks. Not sure. I certainly will not be asking that much for it. Helping each other is what this forum is about to me.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
WOLFSKY, I hope you get your top fixed without much fuss.
The wording in your original post was a little confusing on the orientation of being up or down when things went awry.

(Offtopic: To Skersfan & jburbs22, I'm looking to purchase a complete replacement top; black cloth connected to all necessary mechanical hardware (I don't want to have to get this stuff stitched into my current hardware) and in great condition if that's what either of you has available.

I'll look into the proper forum area to post a want-to-buy request but since you two mentioned it I thought I'd nip it in the bud here, so to speak.

Vision Shockwave wheels
Windrestrictor v2
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I was in part collecting mode at the time and bought a lot of stuff.
Hmmm...... are you secretly Marvic? Or is that typical of Yellow Sky owners?

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 AM

Garage
I restored classic cars for many years. I see the small numbers of these cars and know there will be a time when parts will not be available. So started putting away things that I felt would be hard to get. Plus buying a full working top and rear deck that was 400.00 if I remember correctly. Hard to pass that up.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I restored classic cars for many years. I see the small numbers of these cars and know there will be a time when parts will not be available. So started putting away things that I felt would be hard to get. Plus buying a full working top and rear deck that was 400.00 if I remember correctly. Hard to pass that up.
You know I was just "yanking" your chain.......

terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM

Garage
I did buy a bunch of stuff from Marvic though. Hope to see him back on here soon.

Last edited by skersfan; 10-25-2016 at 07:10 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Garage
skersfan's unofficial nickname is Marvic West. LOL

Seriously though, thank god for folks like Marvic and Skersfan that have the foresight and ability to store spare parts for these cars because one day, we'll be at the point where some parts will only be available by cannibalizing other cars.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
skersfan's unofficial nickname is Marvic West. LOL

Seriously though, thank god for folks like Marvic and Skersfan that have the foresight and ability to store spare parts for these cars because one day, we'll be at the point where some parts will only be available by cannibalizing other cars.
We may be pretty close to that point in time already. I'm seeing more and more parts becoming unavailable through the standard outlets for parts.

That is why I now recommend a telephone call to the place that supposedly has the requested part to verify it is in stock, available to sell and ship.

YMMV

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I did by a bunch of stuff from Marvic though. Hope to see him back on here soon.
I hope so too, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of his return.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in