Torque bar lift for rear lid - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Torque bar lift for rear lid

The other day I went to lower the top; rear lid didn't pop up, but I was able to lift it eventually...quite heavy when one of the torque bars is broken. Anyone have any experience repairing/replacing this? My 2007 has 16K miles, but out of warranty!

I'm new to this site, so if this has been addressed, I apologize... just let me know of the proper thread.

Thanks

Red Sky Guy

Upstate NY
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
On some, the springs are weak and don't hold the top open but I've never heard of one breaking. Yours may be the first.

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I agree, the first I have heard of breaking. Are you sure that it is actually broken, as opposed to somehow disconnected ? I haven't heard of that happening either, but seems more likely and, possibly, easier to fix.

I have been told that replacing one requires that the rear bodywork be removed, making it pretty much an all-day job.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
There are a couple of threads on the solstice forum about using springs from Lowes to help get the trunk open. One has pictures. To get at the torque rods hnd hinges you have to pull the rear valence, inner fenders and the rear bumper. It is not terribly difficult, jut time consuming. Lots of fasteners.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Mine were replaced several weeks ago. Too bad they didn't do anything to raise the deck so I took the advice of someone on the forum and went to Lowe's and got me two coil springs. Now when I hit the button the trunk opens all the way vertical and stays there. I just love the surprised looks I get from people after I hit that button.

Don

2008 Redline
Black/Black/Black
5 speed
Spoiler
Kenwood DNX570HD
Kicker Speakers
Monsoon amp
WR V2
DDM Backbone Steet Version
GMPP Upgrade+
Solo'S MACH Shorty Exhaust

aka: Elvira
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info; the service tech at the dealership diagnosed the break...but it could be disconnected...it's certainly loose, and tough to get at....more investigating to do!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I got a better look this am...it's broke, appears to be broke right at the elbow...now for the fix....if anyone has any shortcuts, good ideas, etc...I'd be most happy to hear about them. I'd like to get it done before I put it away for the winter...but if it means tying it up for a long time, I'll wait until January....Any thoughts, shortcuts, etc...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I got a better look this am...it's broke, appears to be broke right at the elbow...now for the fix....if anyone has any shortcuts, good ideas, etc...I'd be most happy to hear about them. I'd like to get it done before I put it away for the winter...but if it means tying it up for a long time, I'll wait until January....Any thoughts, shortcuts, etc...

Thanks

Red Sky Guy
Delmar, NY
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM

have part

I have one extra from my parts car. send me a note texaslifeonline at gmail.com
Scott

Scott
================
'12 Kia Optima SX GDI turbo
'07 Custom Blue RL conversion, Auto (project - not running yet but working on it)
'06 Honda Odyessy EX-L minivan
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
I have one extra from my parts car. send me a note texaslifeonline at gmail.com
Scott
Scott - Long time, no see! How's it goin'?
Any progress on that beautiful blue roadster?

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
This is a drawing of the rear compartment from the Sol catalog but its the same for the Sky. In fact, I have Sky torsion bars on my Sol.

I have found the left one but not the right.

I asked ICS to see if they have any in their inventory. They are checking.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp rear-compartment-hardware-torsion bars.bmp (386.4 KB, 1479 views)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Epilogue ....before I put it away for the winter, I had my body shop guy do the repair...both rods pretty cheap..around $20. He removed/replace/ adjusted for proper lift for a total of $200...a bargain since I didn't have time to play with this. That was 12/2010...been problem free since then...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
[email protected] fixed a screw up I had with installing the springs to aid in the lift.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
There are a couple of threads on the solstice forum about using springs from Lowes to help get the trunk open. One has pictures. To get at the torque rods hnd hinges you have to pull the rear valence, inner fenders and the rear bumper. It is not terribly difficult, jut time consuming. Lots of fasteners.
Hi, Yeah dang... Mine broke on the driver side at the bend. I heard that all that stuff has to be taken off to replace the torque rod. Where can I get the instructions to go about what and where to remove (fenders, bumpers, etc.)? And the best place to order the driver side part?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Yes you do have to remove most of the rear end body parts to access these torque rods/hinges for our trunk lid.
I had a hinge go bad on mine. Just plain broke. PITA. I order the new hinge part ( special order non-stock item )
from the dealer.

I had the work done by my local body shop however. Cheaper then doing the dealer rates for this.
My suggestion would be get an estimate from a local body shop about repairing this. Order parts and pricing
is cheaper through them, then you buying them from the dealer and trying to do the install yourself imo.

Not sure what the current price is for these torque bars are, you can be sure is if one is bad, the other one
you don't replace is sure to go out soon. After replacement of the mechanical parts for operation of our trunk lid,
then the body panel alignment is key here. I would check with the body shop manager to see if in fact they have
worked on a Kappa before... making any commitments. Round about guess here would be $100. in parts maybe
with 2-3 hours labor body shop rates for this type of repair. Just make sure your happy with the end results here.
Does the trunk work right? Are the body panels lined up right? No noises or odd sounds from trunk operation?

You could try wholesalegmpartsdirect or one of the other parts sites listed here in the forum. This will give you an idea
about part #'s, pricing, availability, shipping info, etc. OR you could leave up to the body shop manager to source
the correct part numbers and pricing for this. It is his job after all or his parts guy that is.

I have parts drawings for our trunk, but no numbers or pricing info. I do have the PDF from the factory on Body
Panel adjustments, the how to for our car. These are just for reference sake and not as a guide for this repair.

LAC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in