Trunk / Buttress opening problems info - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Trunk / Buttress opening problems info

From a thread over on the Sol side, reproduced for your reading pleasure

The way the trunk release works is when you push the trunk open button, a relay releases both the buttresses by moving the locking wires AND a cable pulls on the trunk latch release.

The two buttresses are the "wings" that continue the line of the top on each side back to the trunk lid. The two holes in the trunk with the chrome trim rings are the buttress holes. Inside the two buttress holes you can see a locking wire that engages the slot on the buttress lock. It looks like a small arrow head on the end of each of the buttresses and is pressed into the buttress hole when putting the top up.

There is a cable that is Y shaped that goes from an actuator (electromechanical device that pulls on the cable) to each of the buttress locking wires. The Y cable moves each of the buttress locking wires to the inside of the car and releases the buttress locks. There are springs in each of the buttresses that cause them to pop up and rotate forward to the retracted position. If one of the buttresses does not pop up but the other does, that is a good sign that the end of the Y cable that releases the buttress locks has failed. This can be repaired in one of two ways. First, by replacing the Y cable, and second by repairing the end of the Y cable that has failed. The end of the cable have plastic fittings that over time can fail. This plastic fitting can be replaced with a crimped fishing weight. There is an earlier post in this thread that describes this repair. Its pretty simple and easy to do.

If the buttresses DO pop up (retract) but the trunk does not open, that can be due to a sticking trunk, failed torsion bars - there are two torsion bars behind the trunk lid that act against lever arms on the hinges and open the trunk. They can rarely fail by breaking. Many have torsion bars that are weak and occasionally the trunk lid will unlock but will not pop open.

You can check the operation of your trunk release by pushing the trunk open button on your fob and pulling up on the trunk at the same time. If the trunk lock releases you should be able to pull the trunk open.

It is possible that there is an obstruction in the trunk lock that is causing it to not release. I have seen people get micro fiber towels into the trunk lock and it clicks but will not release. If you have this condition then you need to get a friend and both pull up while activating the release button.

It is possible that the trunk lock is NOT releasing. There is a special cable set that includes the relay and cabling that pulls on the trunk lock to release it. If that relay is not activating, it can be because of a fuse or other electrical problem or worst case the relay has failed. If it has failed, then you need to manually unlock the trunk.

There are a couple of ways to manually release the trunk lock. The "GM" way is to jack up the left rear wheel, take off the tire/wheel, remove the inner fender and cut a hole through the trunk side, or go through the trunk pressure release valve so you can reach inside the trunk and pull the emergency manual trunk release. This is a relatively simple but non-trivial job to do.

The other method is you can go in through the drivers side "flap" that rotates up when the top goes up and if your arm is skinny enough, you can reach inside and manually pull on the lock and release the trunk.

I have not done this personally but have read about it on this forum. I recommend that if the trunk lock is not releasing, you borrow a friends car and look carefully at the locking mechanism and practice manually unlocking it while you can see what is in there, then do it to your car.

Once you have your trunk open you should be able to visually inspect the trunk lock and see if it has failed or if there is some other problem.

Here is a site with drawings and part numbers that may help visualize how things work.

2008 Pontiac Solstice Rear Compartment Hardware, Part 2 - 2M1201901LNFM822MB67

In this picture, part #19 is the cable assembly that releases the trunk lock. This cable assembly is part number 15896556 CABLE R/CMPT LID LAT REL,(R/CMPT LID REL ASM W/REL HANDLE)
Replaced by: 25984475

If you look carefully, you will see that this cable assembly continues over and connects to #9 the Y cable that releases the two buttresses. This Y cable is part number 15805321 CABLE R/CMPT LID LAT REL,(INCLS 7)(PART OF 12),(BUTTRESS REL CABLE ONLY)
Replaced by: 25980845

When you push the button on your key fob to open the trunk, a coded radio signal is sent to the car's receiver. The receiver tells the BCM that the operator wishes to open the trunk. The BCM then generates a command to the #19 cable assembly relay that activates it and opens the trunk. Anything that interrupts this command path can be the problem. Check the easy things first. Fuses, power to the car, listen for the cable assembly relay to click near the center of the trunk and observe if the buttress locks are moving toward the center of the car. If you see the buttress locks moving away from the buttress holes (look into the hole with the chrome rings around them in the trunk) then you know that the relay is working. If the trunk is still not opening, then the problem is in the lock cable or lock mechanism for the trunk. Most likely it has an obstruction in there.

AND

This old thread also provides an alternative method for manually opening the trunk using the emergency release handle

Easy Fix for Complex Problem: Manual Trunk Lid Pull

09-15-2006, 03:16 PM #1 (permalink)
no-slack

Join Date: Dec 2005 Easy Fix for Complex Problem: Manual Trunk Lid Pull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For you people that have been worried about the power going off to the automatic trunk lid opener, the button in the key fob or the glove box not
working or if you have an electrical malfunction, here is a simple answer to
the problem.

Do the following:
1. Put top down in trunk and lean driver's seat forward, exposing seat belt slot where it comes through back wall at top of cabin.

2. Locate the Emergency Trunk Release Handle (ETRH).

3. Looking
at top of front, inside of trunk almost directly below top of crown behind
driver's seat and locate a motorcycle type of cable with white locator in clip-on support with about 2 inches of inside pull wire that goes to a black lever.

4. Pull manual ETRH to make sure you have the correct lever. When ETRH is
pulled, you will see lever move about 1 1/2 inches. At this point you will need
the following parts: Twenty inch piece of wire that is normally used to hang a
picture, large split ring that is used for holding keys, electrician's tape to
cover twisted wire ends and wire cutting pliers.

5. Bend about 2 inches of wire back on end of 20 inch wire forming a hook. Pull split ring into wire hook and twist small end around long wire several times to secure split ring to end of wire. Wrap twisted end with a few turns of electrician's tape.

6. Run other end of 20 inch wire through seat belt slot and route up and around brace and other cable part over on top of clip that holds white end of motor-cycle cable. Thread end through top or lever that holds end of motorcycle inner cable. How the 20 inch wire is run is very important. You may have to
try it a couple of times until it pulls lever easily.

7. Make sure you have a couple inches of wire left on split ring end of wire inside of seatbelt slot.

8. Bend end of wire that has been run through lever back over top of lever and twist around long part of wire several times and cut off excess and tape.

9. Close trunk lid and pull split ring and make sure it works. Then try with top up, trunk lid closed and bolsters in their holders.

10. If wire has been routed correctly, the trunk lid shoud open when pulled.
This is not at all complicated and I hope I have adequately described the
procedure. It sure beats GM's suggested removal of left rear tire, etc. Also, it is strongly suggested that you do not pull the split ring while cruising down the highway at 100 mph.

NOTE: ETRH WILL NOT RETURN ON ITS OWN. Make sure you have returned it manually each time you use split ring pull so trunk will lock completely. For additional information or digital pictures of procedures, e-mail me at [email protected].
Charles, No-slack, Powers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Orange Grommet - latch stuck

I like this Plan B for when the relay does not work. What I had to deal with was the latch cable not working, seems that 50 cent orange grommet crumpled and broke. I made my own specialty tool so I could manually unlock the latch. You Plan B would not work in such a failure for this issue. The cable has to be attached to the latch to open. On the flip side my specialty tool would not be of use if the relay was not working. What concerns me is during a car show how this would attract attention, or could I disguise it with black electrical tape. May look into you fix this holiday weekend, would like a plan B if out and about instead of having to drive in the rain because my deck lid is stuck.

TulsaSky
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I have a spare set of cables in case but am looking at a manual approach that can be done in an emergency. The one described is not mine, I found it doing research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone should carry this tool in their glove compartment...it releases your buttress..do not pay this price because it sells for about 10 dollars on other sites...all u do is slip it into the buttress hole and push...SOUND FAMILIAR Your job is to push in the proper direction...the buttress now releases.

KENT MOORE J-42214 HEADREST REMOVAL TOOL J CAR: eBay Motors (item 280550647093 end time Sep-17-10 08:51:47 PDT)

Last edited by marlboromike; 08-31-2010 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This needs to be stated one more time.
Place this great little tool in the glove compartment.
As dumb as it sounds. After I removed mine from the trunk I place it the glove compartment. lol
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Mine is in behind drivers seat!

Picture of the official tool, and my homemade tool and do not put it in the trunk!

TulsaSky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J-42214-A.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	38678  
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 PM

uh-oh

I am having the same problem w/ my trunk. It is not covered by my extended warranty, and it cost $50 for the dealership to look at it, tell me what was wrong. They are advising that it's the cable, and want $300 to fix it. Whoa! I have the tool to open the trunk, but does anyone know how to use the tool? It's just not quite working for me?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
I have a spare set of cables in case but am looking at a manual approach that can be done in an emergency. The one described is not mine, I found it doing research.
I had a problem opening the trunk since the passenger side top would not release. I took it to a GM dealer and they didn't know what to do so I took it home and put enough up ward pressure on it so it did release with out damaging the release pin. Upon looking at the mechanism I could see that the $.50 plastic retainer was gone there for there was no way to activate the pin. I used a heavy duty tie rap in front of the ball to keep it from going thru the ring and it works well. I still don't feel comfortable with the possibility of this happening again especially if I have ice cream or milk in the trunk or god forbid the wife. I will be installing a manual release for the pins by putting a safety wire to each pin then run the wire to the center grommet and out to the opening just above the license plate. (Saturn Sky) I may also change the tie rap with a fishing weight.
The dealer did call back and told me that Saturn does have tool for opening the trunk, I just wish that he would have done the research before I brought it in.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Putting your wife in the trunk is never a good idea !

I have a fishing weight on one side. Using the tool to open the buttress is a frustrating effort. I think running a cable to behind the drivers seat is a good idea. ( I need to do it).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM
bea

Hey I own an 2008 Saturn sky red line and Im having and problem with the right buttress cable not releasing, where can I buy the tool I need to use to release it thanks
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bea View Post
Hey I own an 2008 Saturn sky red line and Im having and problem with the right buttress cable not releasing, where can I buy the tool I need to use to release it thanks
Tool zum manuellen Öffnen der Dachecken - GT-Manufaktur
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Yup best price you will find. Fortunately I was ordering some other parts so that helped with shipping.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Ordered and will keep in glove box.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
By the way, thanks to all for this great thread but I am confused about the part of how to open the trunk as stated in the first post. The poster states:

"The other method is you can go in through the drivers side "flap" that rotates up when the top goes up and if your arm is skinny enough, you can reach inside and manually pull on the lock and release the trunk."

Maybe just me, but I just spent an hour trying to figure out what he means by "reaching inside and manually pull on the lock and release the trunk" How can you reach inside? My arm is skinny enough but I can see no way to even access the inside on my 2008 Sky via this method? Could someone please shed some light on what I am doing wrong or what I am missing. Am I having a senior moment here?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Location: Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina Just across the harbor from Charleston
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I agree with Silver turbo. Do you actually put your arm in the open tulip lid and reach back to pull the trunk release cord that one would use if someone was trapped in the trunk? It seems like a toothpick wouldn't fit thru that thing.

2009 Evening Blue
5-sp stick NA
Leather Seats/Monsoon Radio
Limited Slip Differential
Solo Storm series Muffler
DDM Backbone

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in