Turbo replacement in Detroit MI area - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChopTop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Turbo replacement in Detroit MI area

So this is my first post- just got my Sky last week. I took it to my mechanic and had it all looked over. Everything checked out except the turbo. Apparently it is leaking and needs replacement. I sort of knew this before having it shipped to me, just hoped it wasn't that bad.
Is $1800 reasonable for this part?
I have a 2008 Red Line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eengel01 View Post
So this is my first post- just got my Sky last week. I took it to my mechanic and had it all looked over. Everything checked out except the turbo. Apparently it is leaking and needs replacement. I sort of knew this before having it shipped to me, just hoped it wasn't that bad.
Is $1800 reasonable for this part?
I have a 2008 Red Line.

The replacement part (K04 Turbo) should be around $500.00 plus labor and fluids. Here is one of many on fleabay:

Saturn Sky K04 Turbo

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console Cover
Enjoying Another Cancer Free Day
https://bethematch.org/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
You can also contact Martin at RPM Motorsports. They sell rebuilt turbos and offer a big wheel turbo upgrade option too for reasonable prices. I have their big wheel turbo and am very happy with it.

I want to say that Performance Auto Werks also carries a stock and big wheel K04 for our cars.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Please tell me what garage you went to since I live in Detroit and I never make that mistake!!! A new turbo from a GM dealer is only about $600!!! And it's about 6 hours of labor according to the GM time guide. So....

Parts: $650
Labor: 6x$140/hr = $840

Total: ~$1500

If you're using an independent shop, labor is usually around $80/hr. So it would be about $1300.

NOTE: If you go with anything other then the original K04 turbo, you will have to be retuned!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Total Turbo replacement? Brand new OEM price? Rebuilt OEM turbo? Upgraded turbo internals? Upgrade to a bigger bad ass non stock OEM replacement?

$1800.00 for that price: An itemized list of what for here. Labor $ ? Parts $ ? Time ? Warranty on work performed by mechanic? Get a second opinion to these costs before work is started? Has your mechanic done this before, turbo work or has he worked on Kappa's turbo before? Current mileage on your car?

Anything else a concern under the hood while this work is being done? Now would be the time imo. Inspect the old parts after removal, just for a base line to what or why this or that part failed or its condition as of wear and tear, based against current mileage? Previous owner, with unknown usage and maintenance did or did not do before you bought it? You knew that the turbo might be bad, and the cost with replacement after your purchase, you considered the money involved with that, which is a good thing with the Kappa imo. Car is not cheap to repair for major stuff like the turbo, or the WP, or ________ , but if it well maintain it can bring years of permagrin to your face and soul, just like the rest of us out here.

No matter what you do with your turbo, it has to be done, a given. Then the testing phase of the break in period, and maybe some minor tweaking after the replacement. Will there be any new learn up or down with ECM, or maybe the MAF, or TB when your SKY comes alive on the road during this break in period? More than likely a few owners here, can give you some clues to what to look out for, or help to you and your mechanic, after the fact, just in case your not smiling after $ 1800 +/= ? For that kinda of $$$, I would pay close attention to what your car does, or doesn't do after the replacement imo. A few here that I know of, have replaced/rebuilt/upgraded their turbo. They would know first hand, the do's and don'ts about before/after turbo replacement in the Kappa.

Hope all goes well, soon you will be in permagrin land again. Life is good isn't it?

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 10-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
"Is $1800 reasonable for this part?" NO! Please tell us who gave you that price so that we can stay away from them.

FWIW, Michigan does have a Detroit area Kappa club: Michigan Kappa Club

Next event
8th Annual "End of Summer" MKC Kappa Color Cruise 10-22 2017 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
HORNET1 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
What is wrong with the turbo, exactly?
@jgassor had his turbo bearing fail, got a replacement turbo, and disassembled the turbo without jacking up the car. Basically removed the intake, disconnected the hoses and lines, then separated the compressor and center section from the turbine housing and put the new center assembly and compressor on the old turbine housing after doing a little cleanup to the turbine housing. His has been running fine every since and it's a very simple affair compared to replacing the entire turbo.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 10-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I'm skeptical that the turbo is leaking, leaking what? What symptoms do you have, check engine lights? I'd find another mechanic...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Leaking what could be the oil seals are gone? Cooling tube fitting could be leaking, wouldn't that drive up the temps? Shaft or vanes out of balance or alignment? Bearings? Rebuilding the internals should not cost a fortune. Replacing the entire turbo maybe I could see that kinda cost, if that is what is being done here? Brand new turbo right out the box price and install?

A second opinion is needed here I think? Is this an independent shop and mechanic? Not a dealer price, but what would they ( dealer ) say is wrong with your turbo, and what it would cost to fix it, yeah I know dealer cost and warranty, on parts but then you have the factory view of what's leaking from your turbo? A 3rd opinion of this would be the comparison to the 1st shop price totals, and the dealer price totals.

Make sure before you spend your money wisely or not in this case. I think maybe here too, if another Kappa owner is close enough by to your location, a quick meet and greet, could be arranged, with a look over discussion by the owners, then maybe a clear picture can determine the problem for you?

LAC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wastegatesolenoidimg.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	96786  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Depending on your mileage you might want to consider changing the water pump since the turbo has to come out to replace it.

2008 Solstice gxp

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in