Saturn Sky Forum banner

The two check valves for the cooling system..??

9K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Fpdsarge 
#1 ·
I stumbled upon this today...

"The two valves are there to remove air bubbles from interrupting the flow of coolant in the engine. When they fail, the car will run hot while driving, but will decrease in temperature when stopped. Also the heater will blow only cold air. These are both telltale signs to replace the check valves. As I understand it they are cheap and easy to fix."

Where are these two two check valves for the cooling system? (Photos?)

#5 ·
They are just one way valves that look like thimbles. Just make sure you lube them up and insert them the right way (I guess that advice applies to a lot of things...). There is a picture in the TSB that Dave posted.

Available for under $20 on Ebay, they once listed at $800 a pair in Canada ('only $400 in the US)!

#7 ·
Yeah - I have always wondered how GM could possibly justify the original prices.....

#8 ·
Did the original price include anything else? Installation, coolant replacement, etc? The price would still be high, but not a ridiculously as if it was just parts.

#12 ·
My Sky seems to run hot at times. Am in AZ where its 100-110F. Car runs 200-210 on flat ground, 215-220 climbing hills. During winter here when it's 50-70F car runs 195-200 on flat but will still be 210-215+ on hills.

Heater blows hot air. A/C blows cold. When climbing hills I tend to back off the throttle or am afraid it will climb past 220. Had WP replaced (was leaking) and coolant flush at dealer. No change. With heater working fine is it still possible air is in system?

#13 ·
That's normal, in my experience, with the 2.0 cars.

Owned mine since 2007 and never had an overheat problem except when I had issues with the fan (a couple blown fuses and two failed controllers). If you get the air out of the system and don't open it when hot, there shouldn't be any need for check valves.

#24 ·
Thank you Need4Speed2!!! My 2008 Sky Redline 2.0 Turbo has been overheating for awhile...hi temp has been around 228 degrees under load (uphill). Used the link, bought two pieces and downloaded the 2010 GM bulletin. Can’t wait to get them installed.
P.S. RockAuto listed only 4 remaining...I bought 2, leaves 2 left!!!

#25 ·
Welcome to the forum Fpdsarge.

I am glad you found the check valve replacement info helpful. Also, thanks for posting the tip about the RockAuto having only 2 of the valves remaining.

I have approved your post, and you'll need one more approved before your account automatically upgrades to regular member and your posts will appear right away.

Again, welcome! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.