Saturn Sky Forum banner

Very slow when filling up gas tank.

9K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  rjgramps 
#1 ·
Everytime I go to the gas station I can only get a couple of second at a time before the nozzle clicks. It seems like gas is back feeling in the hose. I have to wait for the gas to drain down before pumping more. It takes an extreme amount of time to put $10 in...

I've did some research and saw it could be the EVAP canister vent valve or solenoid. I did have a code for this but it has since cleared. (Cant remember the code number). Is this the likely culprit? And where is this vent valve and solenoid located? I'm will to try all possibilities until I find a solution.

- Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Took off main vapor hose before the canister and it was filled with charcoal. I ended up damaging the hose but I blee out the charcoal. I accidentally broke the hose that T's off of the main hose so now I'm looking for a replacement... I've plugged the small vent line and was wondering if there would be any negative effects to still driving with the small vent line plugged...

Also I've looked around the internet and can not find the hose. If anyone can send me a link to one I'd appreciate it.

GM part number 10351141

#5 ·
The problem I had was that the metal flapper valve at the top of the filler tube slid down into the restriction at the mouth of the fuel tank. To repair it I had to remove the filler tube and then the trunk liner. Then I cut a hole in the trunk floor to gain access to the clamp at the bottom of the tube to remove the displaced valve. I was unable to remove the valve so I bent it with a long thick screwdriver. I put the part of the floor that was cut out back in and reattached it with layers of duct tape.

#7 ·
Ok. Buckle up. I had the same problem and the fix is a PITA any way you slice it. You cant get to the evap canister thru the trunk unless you cut a major part of the right side top away in the trunk above the gas tank.The cover you CAN remove is to the left of the canister and you cant get to the canister from the removable cover. I took it to 3 qualified mechanics. Two of them said they wouldn't touch the job the third one said he would give it a shot but he didn't want to do it because the proper way to do it is to take down everything that covers the gas tank then drop the gas tank out. The canister is attached to the right side of the gas tank. You have to drop the gas tank down before you can get to the canister. I have heard that you can cut like I said before on the right side of the part that covers the gas tank in the trunk. You may be able to get to it that way but there are hoses and different things in there. I could not get anyone to even look at doing it that way. I could not put any gas in my car so I finally had to take it to the GM dealer and drop just shy of $2,000, most of it labor, to get it squared away. That's why I said buckle up. If there is another way to solve the problem the dealer and the other mechanics have no clue. You are in for a very rough ride either way you cut it.

#12 ·
I cut out the top of the trunk floor this pst weekend to replace the purge valve and bad charcoal canister (pellets were falling out of it once removed from car). My dremel with a router guide and cutting bit worked great. Had a buddy running shop vac at same time to minimize cutting dust & debris. Weinstalled a new canister and valve, but it is still slow to fill tank. I can hear the gasoline gurgle up the fill tube, right before it shuts off the pump. I pulled the vent tube extension from the gas tank and it is clear. However, I tried to move air through it (by mouth) when it was attached to fixed tank vent tube and no air would pass. I am hoping someone has ideas or perhaps something I missed. FYI - I sealed the floor opening that I cut out with silicone and a fabbed piece of zinc plated sheet metal, held down with a couple of rivets. It almost looks factory.

#14 ·
This evening, I bought a bore scope inspection camera and took a look down my gas tank fill tube. Here’s what I found from the inlet to where the fill tube meets the tank. I don’t know what I’m looking at, so if anyone does, the first round is on me. Tell me how to fix it & I’ll also but dinner

Attachments

#15 ·
problem with filling up also

Just experienced this problem for the second time:

It happened a few years ago, just after having a problem with my fuel gauge not reading accurately, I drive the car infrequently, not knowing the real fuel level – stopped for gas on a run in NJ, and the attendant said it was almost full. Watched myself as it kept clicking off almost immediately – even though the guage said ¼ . Ran out of gas. Since only using top tier gas in all 3 family saturns – all of them now read accurately.

Started using a new Sunoco – which has just installed new tanks (thinking they were clean) – but regardless of what I tried the pump stopped immediately. Just took it out today and stopped at a different sunoco and same issue. Tried to flip the nozzle (again ) upside down and it worked fine – even holding the pump fully open.

Read here that the cause is probably the charcoal filter clogged – and some may enter into the air line – wondering if it could be possible to blow air down back into the filter without doing any damage ? If you were going to replace the filter anyway may be worth a shot.?:surprise:

#16 ·
I can only offer up that i had the same issue with my MINI about 3-4 yrs ago and replacing the overflow canister/filter fixed the problem. The suggestion was that I had topped up / overfilled the tank at some point causing fuel to run down thru the canister and clogging it up.

#17 ·
We have swapped out a couple of the charcoal canisters. Rather than go through the pain of dropping the tank we pulled the trunk liner then cut the top off the fuel tank cover. Kind of like brain surgery LOL. Found that it was very difficult to source the Kappa canister but found a substitute that works well and is nearly identical but readily available. All documented on Sol forum.

There are many threads on this subject over there. Here is one

https://www.solsticeforum.com/threads/punisher.65168/page-139#post-2018233

#18 ·
I have had my 2008 Sky a little over six months and thought the lack of trunk space would be the thing I disliked most. After the first two fill ups I realized what was to become the most aggravating part of owning a Sky. Squeeze, click, squeeze, click, and on and on. Pretty sure that one of the previous owners overfilled and eventually saturated the charcoal cannister. Don't want to rip apart the trunk and tryin to avoid dropping the tank. Decided to try using a funnel and it works. Not the fastest fill, but I am able to maintain a constant flow. Warning: gas fumes are more prevalent. Although a bit expensive at $20+, this one from Amazon works perfect after cutting 1 1/2" off the spout. TEC Products FlexAll Funnel - Flexible Rubber Funnel with Handle
Drinkware Lamp Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Fashion accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.