Water pump failure - Page 10 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

View Poll Results: Did your SKY water pump fail?
Yes (mine is a 2007) 26 17.22%
Yes (mine is a 2008) 40 26.49%
Yes (mine is a 2009) 3 1.99%
No, and I have at least 30K miles 82 54.30%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just watched mine turn over to 30k at lunch time...Time will tell

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
Do you know the model number of the Gates water pump your getting?
I ordered yesterday the 251-751 at $135 from someone on eBay. I feel like ordering the 252-821 just to see what the deal is and match the two to our original water pump...
But I would need to find the original Kappa water pump to compare.
Anyone have an old leaky water pump that came off the Kappa car???
The Gates part number is 43529 didn't list the model number sorry will have to wait for it to arrive and hopefully stamped on it.
post #138 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Any frustration caused by this issue is definitely understandable. Please keep us posted on the situation. Please send a private message and include the VIN#, your contact information, and situation. I hope this is resolved quickly.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Sent Matt a private message, he replied and I sent him my info. It would be great to get an official response !!

'72 Nova
'81 RS Camaro
'84 TransAm
'86 Grand National
'08 Sky 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffr1 View Post
Sent Matt a private message, he replied and I sent him my info. It would be great to get an official response !!
Here is his response:
[QUOTE=GM Customer Service]Thanks for the information. I was able to get the current GM issued part# 12630084 for the Sky water pump. If you're having current issues, I would suggest taking it to a Certified GM Service Department. I will happy to work with you through this process. Thank you.

I requested a timeline of the different wp p/n's and failure rates but that may be a stretch, and asked what the orig p/n was for the 07's.

Our best guess may be to find out a p/n that was used on an older model of say malibu or ion from say 01-05 with high miles and see what their p/n's were.

My mom drives a '04 ion, but only has 40K - I have checked the ion forums in the past and never remember seeing ANY failures, and they had some VERY high mileage cars.

Any other ideas ?

'72 Nova
'81 RS Camaro
'84 TransAm
'86 Grand National
'08 Sky 2.4
post #140 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
[quote=dffr1;574477]Here is his response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Thanks for the information. I was able to get the current GM issued part# 12630084 for the Sky water pump. If you're having current issues, I would suggest taking it to a Certified GM Service Department. I will happy to work with you through this process. Thank you.

I requested a timeline of the different wp p/n's and failure rates but that may be a stretch, and asked what the orig p/n was for the 07's.

Our best guess may be to find out a p/n that was used on an older model of say malibu or ion from say 01-05 with high miles and see what their p/n's were.

My mom drives a '04 ion, but only has 40K - I have checked the ion forums in the past and never remember seeing ANY failures, and they had some VERY high mileage cars.

Any other ideas ?
I think that's what we been talking all along. Getting a different water pump that fits out cars that stays working longer....
Don't the GM Customer Service guy have any info or logs on this..
post #141 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 AM

As a mechanic of sorts for over 40 years for Brunswick Bowling, some other considerations that may be in play, most water pumps are belt driven which is a smooth transfer of torque through the belt, our pumps being chain driven have inherint vibration as the teeth mesh with the gaps in the chain, this vibration causes the shaft to stress on the bearings and seals, thus this could cause the premature wear of the pumps. Any replacement pump that proves reliable on a belt driven system may have the same failure rate on our chain system.

Just my view with no real proof of the theory.
post #142 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

This is the succeeding list of part numbers I have for official GM water pumps. The information posted on this forum is being documented for feedback to GM. I am not a technician so I can not provide technical advice. Please see your dealer about issues you're having, replacement fits, etc. I will be happy to follow up with you regarding repair status, dealer satisfaction, etc. Please DM for official concerns. Thank you. I hope everyone is having a good week.

List of Succeeding Water Pump Parts to Current

90537805 Year 2000-2000

24439798 Year 2000-2002

12585226 Year 2000-2004

12591894 Year 2000-2010

12624935 Year 2000-2010

12630084 Year 2000-2014

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Last edited by GM Customer Service; 10-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
post #143 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks, Matt.

I've saved a printed copy of that message as well as bookmarked it for future reference.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #144 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Yeah, Thanks! It's nice to see a GM CSR helping out

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #145 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 PM

water pump failure and coolant air bubble

Can't help but think the many cases of air bound pumps are possibly resulting in pump failure? Would the majority of folks with pump failures have already experienced air bound pumps and hi temps? If so, probably not unreasonable to think a pump seal would be the next thing to go...
post #146 of 277 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Can't help but think the many cases of air bound pumps are possibly resulting in pump failure? Would the majority of folks with pump failures have already experienced air bound pumps and hi temps? If so, probably not unreasonable to think a pump seal would be the next thing to go...
Can someone post a picture of the original Kappa water pump. I just received the pump I ordered the other day and would like to compare them... Will post picture of the new pump soon (after the week-end)...
post #147 of 277 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Water pump failed on 2008 RL at 41108. Water Pump replacement part no. 12630084. Symptoms were an engine temp to 257 F before settling down to 198 F +/-. Low coolant message.

Also replaced Air Breather Tube to PCV, anyone have this crack on their Sky?
post #148 of 277 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM

Hey guys so I join the club of 40-50k water pump failures. I have an 08 Redline. One morning driving to work the temp light and coolant light both came on. By the time I got to the DIC Coolant, coolant light went out and was dropping below 240, and went all the way back to normal favoring 205 to 210. Next stop put water in it and it stayed in the normal temp range. Next day took it to the GM shop, and showed them how it was wet near the water pump. No questions asked, they tested it, pump was the leaking source and replaced it with the 5/100k warranty.

So today (day after getting it back) I was driving home from work (within 10 min starting the car) and the temp light comes on, again it is dropping quickly down before i could get to the DIC Coolant, so I am like great pull over and temp is back in normal range. But coolant is not low enough to trip sensor but lower than it was when i got the car back(1/4-1/2 in below normal fill) So i put some coolant in it i got from above incident drive home. Mixture of stop and go and highway and temps stayed below 210.

So just now I did the coolant "Hand Job" steps and drove the car around. Temps never got above 205 except after i did a short pull coming back to my garage to test the system, let it sit in the garage to see how the system would react. Temps would stay at 210 and let it idle for 5 mins, but never drop lower. Upper hose was hot, lower cold on the radiator. I then brought the RPM's up to 1250 to spin the water pump up a bit, and temps dropped to 200 and then touched the radiator hoses, upper still hot, lower is noticeably warmer then before. Let it idle for 5 and it went to 210 and then shut it off. Fans turned off automatically and will check it tomorrow going to work. Also during the process I listened and felt the fan which would cycle from being at a lower speed about 195 and increasing with temp changes.

So I think the shop just didn't burp the system good enough and an air pocket was stuck in the system, and so when I was driving to work this morning the heat cycle let the bubble work it way up. So when i was leaving the bubble found its way in the wrong place and tripped the sensor the system burped it out.
post #149 of 277 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Glad ta hear it sounds like you have it lined out...I'm still keeping a close eye on mine cause it seems like the 08's are having the most problem with this..I'm at 32,000 and hope if it's gona go out that it will before March when my warranty runs out.

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #150 of 277 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Tarantula Sky
WOW!
I have 90,500 miles on the Tarantula...... no pump isues as of yet.... but I just bought a new OEM water pump for $65 just in case

07 Auto Blue GM Tune
XIX 20s/Slotted Rotors
Fujita CAI & IC Pipes/Magnaflow Quad Tips
KW DNX8120/VerticalDoors/
WR /Sequential/Pulsing 3rd BL/SmokeLights

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in