Water Pump Issue - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
You can also check to see if coolant is moving in the overflow with the cap off IMSMC. It does circulate once the thermo opens I think....so I would see if it's moving at all....if so, it might even be worse then what you're thinking...it might be motor time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got an update from the Chevy Dealer on Friday. They needed to dig deeper then the 1 hour = 100.00 per hour to 2 more hours total = 300.00 he said to check the head gasket and see if the chain was turning the water pump. They got back with me yesterday saying the head gasket was fine and the chain was turning so it should just be a water pump change. Total bill will be right at 1,200. I say sure go ahead and change it out. They get back with me this morning after getting the water pump off and said the pump and chain were turning, but the chain has a lot of slop in it. They tell me it needs a new kit installed that includes Sprockets, Chain and Tensioners. Total price is right at 2,200. While the pump is off I may as well get a new one. It is close to 300 for the pump. Grand total of little over 2,500 bucks..... Cheaper then the other dealer but still a lot of money to me. I love this car so I have to get it fixed!!!

Thanks for all of your all's responses! They was some really good info in the posts and a number of things to check.

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Make sure while they're in there they are doing the 2nd balancer chain
This is just as important!! It keeps your motor in balance.
TonyRedline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Make sure while they're in there they are doing the 2nd balancer chain
This is just as important!! It keeps your motor in balance.
Yes, Great point. I asked them to check all other chains etc. while in there. I asked today specifically about the timing chain, but the service rep said he thought it was on the other side but wasn't totally sure. He said he'd ask the technician about it. He did tell me one of the Tensioning guides was really loose and all of the teeth on the sprocket were wore down. I have 115.000 miles on the car.

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Maybe I was unclear. Every 2.0L has 2 chains, a timing chain and a balancer chain that sits directly behind the timing chain. The timing chain, while most important, DOES NOT run your waterpump. The balancer chain does. Both chains are run off sprockets on the crankshaft.
Both chains SHOULD BE REPLACED at the same time. BOTH chains are as important as each other.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 06-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Garage
Here is a shot of the two chains. You can see the timing chain (lighter colored chain that wraps up around the cam sprockets) and the balancer chain (darker chain) that drives the water pump behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62122438_10157411511854777_224766281528639488_o.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	105381  
TonyRedline likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 06-19-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Thanks Robo...I was at work and just wanted him to know there were 2 chains before they put his car back together!
TonyRedline likes this.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRedline View Post
Got an update from the Chevy Dealer on Friday. They needed to dig deeper then the 1 hour = 100.00 per hour to 2 more hours total = 300.00 he said to check the head gasket and see if the chain was turning the water pump. They got back with me yesterday saying the head gasket was fine and the chain was turning so it should just be a water pump change. Total bill will be right at 1,200. I say sure go ahead and change it out. They get back with me this morning after getting the water pump off and said the pump and chain were turning, but the chain has a lot of slop in it. They tell me it needs a new kit installed that includes Sprockets, Chain and Tensioners. Total price is right at 2,200. While the pump is off I may as well get a new one. It is close to 300 for the pump. Grand total of little over 2,500 bucks..... Cheaper then the other dealer but still a lot of money to me. I love this car so I have to get it fixed!!!

Thanks for all of your all's responses! They was some really good info in the posts and a number of things to check.
Wow - I got off easy by comparison. Had the water pump replaced and then had to have the mechanic go back in to reset the tensioners. He was not a happy camper. Parts and labour came in at just over $600 but I "negotiated" my way out of any of the costs associated with the tensioner reset as he didn't use the proper tool when replacing the pump. All is good again.

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
The big expense for any car, is labor costs for tear down & re-install at dealership prices. Hard on any checkbook or Mastercard.
At 115k on the odo, this is the right thing to do at this point. I love this car so I have to get it fixed!!! Expensive love knows no bounds or amount.

With the front half of the motor already apart to inspect the suspect WP/over heating issue, other problems per the SM/tech at Dealership 2 confirms what the 1st dealership determined to be the problem.
Less costs at this dealer than the one that installed the OEM WP replacement.

1) Difference in price between the two dealerships?
2) WP warranty?

Head gasket is fine. That's a plus in your favor and checkbook. However "so it should just be a water pump change". Hmmmm.
This is the 3rd WP, the OEM one, then the replacement one from the first dealership, that has a parts warranty?
But this 2nd WP did not fail on it's own per the 2nd dealer or did it fail in some way? IF it did then it's warranty from the
1st dealer. IF not a failure of the part, then it is non-warranty issue on the part from the 1st dealer.
However...I say sure go ahead and change it out. You opted for a new WP and the cost/labor here driving up your bottom line.

This extra cost to you for this new WP part, $300. is an add on to your total costs. 3rd WP
on this car since the factory @115k with no head/motor damage so far. I see where you changed out the OEM thermostat recently
and burped the system. That's good in one aspect here, old OEM part gone so it wasn't a stuck thermostat that was driving up your
temps in the first place, not that the 1st dealership would have noticed that or replaced the thermostat in the WP replacement they did earlier?

Then this from the 2nd dealership: Tensioning guides was really loose and all of the teeth on the sprocket were wore down.
SO.. did the 1st dealership miss this too when replacing your WP? Did their work cause this slop in the chain guides, thus causing the worn sprocket issue and now replacement of these parts at dealership 2 also?

Timing chain/balancer chain replacement with guides/sprockets. Another good thing to do on your part with 115k on the odo. Expensive? Yes.
Less expensive than having your motor blow out later. Pretty much.
Tensioning guides was really loose and all of the teeth on the sprocket were wore down. Soon this would have let go in Murphy's Law world.

Now back to the warranty issue here.
In writing from this 2nd dealership. After this work has been completed, the first 30 days will tell you something.

I would bring it back to them, have them re-check everything they did if you have any concerns, odd noises, temps rise beyond your comfort level.
Lot of money on your part, lot of labor on their part, just to be safe to both parties involved here.
They the dealership does not want to go through this again for a warranty issue.
You do not want to go through this again for the time lost, money well spent.
A never ending cycle when dealing with several dealerships.

When was this 2nd WP changed out by the first dealer? Mileage on the odo? Cost of that job to your checkbook?
How did the 1st dealership miss all the worn sprockets teeth, loose slop in the chain guides AND... anything else?
I understand from your point of view that I might as well replace it with a new one, why risk it at the cost of $300,
plus the original labor costs of this job at the first dealership.

Lot of love and expense on your part with your car, maybe GM will help some if you bring it to their attention,
then again maybe not for a car no longer in their production line up?

Luck with it. Let us know is all is well after the break in period of 30 days/3000 miles more or less.
AND IF you have to return to the 2nd dealership for problems related to their most recent work on your car?

LAC
TonyRedline likes this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 06-20-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Received the car last night. Friend of mine brought up a Great Point! Where did the metal shavings go from the sprockets being worn down? They have to be sitting in the oil pan and circulating through out the engine when running. I asked the dealership if they drooped the oil pan to clean it out. They said the motor would have to be pulled to get the oil pan off. "I didn't know this" They said they did change the oil and filter and would recommend doing another oil and filter change at 500 miles "I will do it sooner" . So with that added to the bill I had a grand total of 2,699.39. They said I have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the work they did. I looked at the papers before handing over my credit card and didn't see that written anywhere. I asked why it wasn't, and they said it's automatic with GM on the work they did. I ended up having them hand write the warranty on the papers and sign their name to it, and then I paid them.

So, I get in the car right at 5:30 last night, and the shops closing time. I start the car and it has a weird vibration I had never felt from this car before. The motor wasn't idling anything like it did before. I let it warm up as always and it seemed to calm down. I take off down the road and it seems to run fine. I was mainly keeping my eye on the temperature of course and after reaching 190 it leveled and and stayed there. Then I start testing the performance and anything over 4000 rpms didn't feel right and I had a code come up on the display. I took a picture of the code and sent it to JohnWR a Moderator here "Great Guy" He said it was general Malfunction Indicator Light that some call the Service Engine Light that could mean about anything. He also said if this light is ever blinking don't drive it because it's something serious. I took the car home and parked it.

Drove the car straight to the dealership this morning and told them about the code. They take the the car into a bay and scan it. After like half an hour they tell me it was the Intake Camshaft Solenoid and they replaced it and said the car was good to go. So far So Good! Car is running GREAT and the Temperature of the car is running between 185 - 190 consistently with the temperature here in Bardstown, KY right at 78. Perfect Top Down Weather!!!

Thanks for all the help and reply's everyone! You people are Awesome!!!

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRedline View Post
Received the car last night. Friend of mine brought up a Great Point! Where did the metal shavings go from the sprockets being worn down? They have to be sitting in the oil pan and circulating through out the engine when running. I asked the dealership if they drooped the oil pan to clean it out. They said the motor would have to be pulled to get the oil pan off. "I didn't know this"
They are right, the engine does need to be pulled to pull the oil pan. it's a pain but no way around it. Maybe not pulled all the way out, but enough that you can't just "raise it a little" and get to it. I want to preface the rest of this post by saying I'm not sure how much automotive knowledge you have so I'm writing this as though you have none so that way regardless of your actual knowledge level I don't miss anything...you know, never ASSuME. LOL

Now, about that question about the shavings...we'll get to that in a moment.

Quote:
So, I get in the car right at 5:30 last night, and the shops closing time. I start the car and it has a weird vibration I had never felt from this car before. The motor wasn't idling anything like it did before. I let it warm up as always and it seemed to calm down. I take off down the road and it seems to run fine. I was mainly keeping my eye on the temperature of course and after reaching 190 it leveled and and stayed there. Then I start testing the performance and anything over 4000 rpms didn't feel right and I had a code come up on the display. I took a picture of the code and sent it to JohnWR a Moderator here "Great Guy" He said it was general Malfunction Indicator Light that some call the Service Engine Light that could mean about anything. He also said if this light is ever blinking don't drive it because it's something serious. I took the car home and parked it.
As a general rule, a flashing Check Engine Light (CEL) or Service Engine Light (SEL)...which are the same thing and the two terms are interchangeable so you'll hear it referred to both ways...usually means you have a misfire condition in the engine which IS serious and you SHOULD stop the car. JohnWR is spot on with this (and one of the electrical geniuses we have on the board AND a great guy...). When it comes on and stays on though, there are a few hundred things it could mean. To determine what the problem is, you need a code reader to pull the code then you look the code up on the internet and see what that code means. Usually it will be something like P0300 (which is general engine misfire), P0013 (intake cam solenoid) and P0014 (exhaust cam solenoid) to name a few.

Good news is for about $15 and a smart phone you can do this yourself. You can get a Bluetooth dongle for about $10 off eBay and then download the Torque app for your Android phone (there is a different app for Apple but I can't remember it at the moment). Both apps have a free version which will read codes, display codes, and let you clear codes. The Pro version of the Torque app which will give you enough information to make your head spin is a whopping $5 last I checked.

Here is a link to one of the Bluetooth dongles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-O...EAAOSw0kVc7RUI

This is what I use for simple code reading/clearing and running some virtual gauges if I want. For what you're doing, this will be more than enough.

This will let you immediately scan your car and see what codes are being thrown so that you don't have to get it to a dealer or shop to figure out this information since some places do charge to read codes.

Which you may have again shortly...

Quote:
Drove the car straight to the dealership this morning and told them about the code. They take the the car into a bay and scan it. After like half an hour they tell me it was the Intake Camshaft Solenoid and they replaced it and said the car was good to go. So far So Good! Car is running GREAT and the Temperature of the car is running between 185 - 190 consistently with the temperature here in Bardstown, KY right at 78. Perfect Top Down Weather!!!
Remember wondering where those shavings may have gone? Chances are they wound up in your Camshaft Solenoids. Yes, solenoids plural. You have one on the intake and the exhaust and usually when one goes, the other isn't far behind. So if they changed just the intake, the exhaust may go sometime in the near future. It is not uncommon when you have the kind of wear that you did in the timing chains that the debris winds up in these solenoids and if you look up pictures on these solenoids I'm sure you'll find a few showing what they look like when people remove them and find them packed full of not-so-happy metal shavings.

Good news is even if you're not highly mechanically inclined, these are super easy to replace and fairly cheap. Tools required are a 10mm socket and ratcheting wrench with a short extension (Lefty loosy righty tighty LOL).

If you look at the picture I've attached, you'll see the valve cover of the engine (it's the huge red thing...and this is with the engine cover removed by pulling up on it really hard) and running down the center of it are four coils that drive your spark plugs (the black squares with wires coming out). Just in front of the one on the far right of the head (the engine is sitting with the front of the car to the right and the rear of the car to the left) you'll see two round looking cylinders poking up with wires coming from them. These are the cam solenoids...intake is on the left (driver's side) and exhaust is on the right (passenger side). To change one, you start by pulling up on a little plastic retainer on the plug (they are the gray part of the plugs in the picture) that unlocks the plastic button (which is the black part of the plug that is surrounded by the afore mentioned gray lock) you have to push on while pulling up on the plug to remove the plug from the solenoid. The retainer doesn't come out...well, shouldn't come out...but just pulls up a few millimeters. When the plug has been removed, you will use your 10mm socket to remove the one bolt that holds the solenoid to the valve cover. Once this is out, give a firm tug on the solenoid and it will come out. You may need to work it a bit as there is an o-ring on it to seal it in the valve cover.

Once that is out, insert the new solenoid, seat it in the hole while aligning it's mounting tab for the bolt is aligned with the hole for it in the valve cover, replace the bolt tightening it down to just barely past snug, put the plug back on the new solenoid pushing down until you hear a slight click, then push the retainer in the plug back in place. Done.

I think the solenoids are about $50 each perhaps? Here are the part numbers for both:

Intake camshaft solenoid: 12655420
Exhaust camshaft solenoid: 12655421

I don't know what they charged you for the solenoid but this may save you a few dollars at least and is really no more difficult than changing your spark plugs and easier than changing your oil. Hope this helps and I hope the other solenoid doesn't fail but at least, if it does, you are aware and have some knowledge that may save you a few bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redhead001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	105401  
TonyRedline likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 06-21-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
This is good news for you, So Far. You did the right thing, with the warranty in writing imo.
First 30 days, hell first 30 minutes more like it to find a problem. Replacing the intake cam solenoid
fixes part of the problem here though.

How did the dealership miss this code before handing the car back to you? Rough or semi-rough idling
test drove car by service tech but... it's good to go? Picking up your car at 5:30pm just when the shop is closing... Hmmm.
Dealership has the car for 1/2 hour to hook up their scanner, read the code then determine that the solenoid is bad. OK
but this was done after the work was completed. I would check under your hood, just to see the ole eye test, IF anything else
looks out of place? Check all connections, fittings, hoses, etc. You never know until you look closely. Question everything you
don't like? For $2700. bills you have that right, warranty or not.

Good that the temps are with normal range for now. Changing out the oil & filter is important cause your friend is right here
where did those shaving go? New oil & filter is cheap insurance when having major work done like this. Unless the oil pan really
needs to come off is another question and.. expense on your part. I'd wait before doing that.

Robo ( another nice guy too, here on our network ) has some great info, about if one cam solenoid went, the " other " one is surely
to go out soon. Easy to replace, not that expensive and gives you some piece of mind here sort of. Changing out the plugs would
be a good idea too @115k if they have not been replaced before? Go easy on your performance tests during this break in period imo.
Normal driving for awhile , as you check over their work and how your car operates to your $2700. satisfaction?
Anything you don't like you can go back and address your concerns with the SM at the dealership as they arise, more or less.

Top down weather driving conditions... curb your enthusiasm, prevent the permagrin just a bit here. Keep your drives short and close to home & dealership, just in case for a few days/weeks.
You do not want to be out in the boonies, carving up the twisties and... have something go wrong, long tow bill back to the dealership, know what I mean?

For $2700 bills things better be ok for you the consumer/owner/operator.
IF so then let the dealership/GM know your satisfaction with this dealer, and...
maybe not so satisfied with the first dealership?
It's just words after all,... like the hand written warranty signed by the dealership.. in writing.

LAC
TonyRedline likes this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 06-22-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
T

How did the dealership miss this code before handing the car back to you?
LAC
I will answer this portion. Chances are, there wasn't enough of an "issue" to set the code yet. These sensors are oil driven. My guess is, you just found out where some of your metal shavings went, if there were any. But I wouldn't be too concerned with metal shavings. All motors have shavings to an extent. If you have a 115k on it, I wouldn't worry too much.

And to make a statement about doing the timing chain....A timing chain here in Detroit $2500-$3000 on these cars at the dealership. If I do it, I can replace balancer chain, balancer sprockets, all guides, timing chain (basically a kit for balancer and timing), WP, and 4 new coils, about $500. A new long block LDK from ZZP with a turbo....$2499. Which way am I going if a dealer has to do the work???? Choice is simple if I don't do the timing chain myself...
TonyRedline likes this.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
And to make a statement about doing the timing chain....A timing chain here in Detroit $2500-$3000 on these cars at the dealership. If I do it, I can replace balancer chain, balancer sprockets, all guides, timing chain (basically a kit for balancer and timing), WP, and 4 new coils, about $500. A new long block LDK from ZZP with a turbo....$2499. Which way am I going if a dealer has to do the work???? Choice is simple if I don't do the timing chain myself...
Ghost, I just did my first timing chain (picture above and I think I still need to take up that slack between the cam sprockets) but doing it outside the engine bay is cake. How much more difficulty does having it in the engine bay add to the task? Is removing the radiator recommended or can you do it with the radiator still in place? Looks like there is room in there to do it but it seems like it could get snug in a hurry.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I will answer this portion. Chances are, there wasn't enough of an "issue" to set the code yet. These sensors are oil driven. My guess is, you just found out where some of your metal shavings went, if there were any. But I wouldn't be too concerned with metal shavings. All motors have shavings to an extent. If you have a 115k on it, I wouldn't worry too much.

Service Tech told me "I forgot to mention before now" that they changed out 3 chains one of them being the timing chain. I have the brake down of the bill and work done in my car "Not driving it today because of the rain" I'll snap a picture of it and post it here soon.

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in