Water Pump Issue - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Well...if they told you 3, I'd be skeptical. There are only 2 as I stated above, a timing chain and a balancer chain. The balancer runs the WP, the timing just runs the camshafts. Make sure your paperwork says 2 and not 3...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Well...if they told you 3, I'd be skeptical. There are only 2 as I stated above, a timing chain and a balancer chain. The balancer runs the WP, the timing just runs the camshafts. Make sure your paperwork says 2 and not 3...
I was thinking the same thing...3 chains????

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Ghost, I just did my first timing chain (picture above and I think I still need to take up that slack between the cam sprockets) but doing it outside the engine bay is cake. How much more difficulty does having it in the engine bay add to the task? Is removing the radiator recommended or can you do it with the radiator still in place? Looks like there is room in there to do it but it seems like it could get snug in a hurry.
Actually Robo, I had a buddy (former tech) come over and I was at the final stages of tearing into it. So the front portion. He took one look at it and told me to put it back together and get it out to his house. He has a lift and and he said he'd work on it without me there!! BONUS!! So I put it back together. I haven't gone out there with it yet, still waiting on insurance and my plate.

As far as instructions, I have the GM shop instructions and there is nothing that states about removing the fan or radiator. I can tell you, if you are doing it without a hoist and time is of no issue, draining the coolant, removing the upper radiator hose and the fan and shroud is highly recommended!! There are like 5 wiring harnesses that run in front too that you have to figure out how to move...they're a pain in the arse.

It's not that I couldn't do it, I just don't have the patience....lol... I'm a hurry up and get it done kinda guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Actually Robo, I had a buddy (former tech) come over and I was at the final stages of tearing into it. So the front portion. He took one look at it and told me to put it back together and get it out to his house. He has a lift and and he said he'd work on it without me there!! BONUS!! So I put it back together. I haven't gone out there with it yet, still waiting on insurance and my plate.

As far as instructions, I have the GM shop instructions and there is nothing that states about removing the fan or radiator. I can tell you, if you are doing it without a hoist and time is of no issue, draining the coolant, removing the upper radiator hose and the fan and shroud is highly recommended!! There are like 5 wiring harnesses that run in front too that you have to figure out how to move...they're a pain in the arse.

It's not that I couldn't do it, I just don't have the patience....lol... I'm a hurry up and get it done kinda guy.
LOL I have the book too but since the engine I'm working on is OUT of the car I'm using that section of the manual instead...which still kind of impresses me that they have a separate "How to tear the engine down in the car" section and a "How to tear the engine down out of the car" section in the service manual.

It looks fairly nightmarish to do it in the car...and like you I'm a hurry up and get it done kind of guy. LOL That's why this step wait step wait assembly path I'm on is making me mental. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here is the break down of the work and the charge. I only see chain on there 2 times like Robotech and The_Ghost mentioned it should be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190625_132508662.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	105419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190625_132521808.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	105421  

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune

Last edited by TonyRedline; 06-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Dang, 55 hours and $1,600 in labor.

But yes, two chains...well, one chain and one timing chain package which has all the parts for a proper timing chain replacement like the guides, tensioners and bolts as well as the chain.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
Dang, 55 hours and $1,600 in labor.
That's an odd amount. Only equates to $29/hour??

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
That's an odd amount. Only equates to $29/hour??
I have to just be reading it wrong...I think I got the labor price right but wrong hours.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to just be reading it wrong...I think I got the labor price right but wrong hours.
No, I read it the same as you. I guess the "(55)" was actually nothing to do with hours.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have no idea what (55) means but with it on the same line as the labor you would think it was the amount of hours. Like you guys said though that doesn't add up. They told me they charged 100 per hour.

During this break in period I've only took it to 5k rpms one time and that was at high speed. I haven't gotten down on it from a dead start yep. Car is running great and no more codes. I'm going to change the oil and filter this weekend. After draining the oil I'm going to take a magnet to it to see if there are any shavings. Any other recommendations you all can think of?

Greatly Appreciated!

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Tony, take a deep breath and relax. There are no "shavings" running around in your oil. The sprockets are wore down from 115,000 miles on the engine. As the sprockets wear down there are microscopic pieces of metal that wear away and are trapped in the oil filter.

If you have ever used a magnetic oil drain plug you will know what I'm talking about. It is almost like a fine dust that accumulates on the magnetic drain plug. You are good to go.

Larry
TonyRedline likes this.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 AM

(55) is the tech number on your receipt. Looks like they use the ADP or DealerTrack DMS (Dealership Management System) system for writing and those are a bit more cryptic to decipher. A little less customer friendly if you will.... They did 1 of 2 things for billing out the labor:

1. Used a "hourly" tech to do the work, which I don't think happened, but you never know as these are usually your less experienced techs
2. Had to play with the labor time to get the bill where it was supposed to be (either by adding money or taking it away to match the "estimate")

So, most will do #2 . However, IMSMC book labor time from GM is about 14.8hrs or 16.8hr, I can't remember, for a timing chain. You said they were an even $100/hr. Most of the time they will add to the cost of labor. If you would like, I can definitely get you confirmation on what book time is for a timing chain. But at any rate (no pun intended), it's fixed.
TonyRedline likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in