Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself! - Page 134 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1996 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
Just got a black 2007 Redline in pristine condition. I'd post pictures but can't figure out how to do so on here.

I'm in Southern California. Due to safety issues and years alone, the first things I'm looking at are:

1. Gas stations in San Diego county that don't use MMT or 85% Ethanol. Does Vons gas use it?

2. Tires. They look ok, but they are original. Soooo, ouch on the potential new tire cost. Since I mainly cruise, I'm looking for an aesthetically appealing tire with low noise and lasts for my stock chrome 18 inch rims. I'm considering the Pilot Super Sports that I've read about here. Daily driver to work and back. I know nothing about tires.

My huge worry is whether Discount Tire, American Tire or Costco can properly lift my car without damaging it or cracking the plastic behind the front wheels. I've seen this in cars I looked at and read horror stories.

3. An oil change. Mobile 1 5/30 full synthetic... but I find myself wondering what synthetic oil filter to use and where I'd get the filler plug crush washer for a discontinued Saturn company.

This brings me to the service.. do you guys use ramps when changing your oil? Where's that oil filter and drain plug? I haven't been under the car.

4. Top cleaner/protectant... mines black. Bird droppings are common in my area. What's the best?

So, fuel, tires, PROPER LIFT, oil/filter.

I wish you all safe travels and a healthy life.

John
Welcome.

I bought my tires at Discount and get them rotated there sometimes. I show them the lifting instructions from the owner's manual, and there hasn't been a problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LIFTING AND JACKING THE SKY (1).pdf (174.9 KB, 16 views)

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1997 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post

Welcome.

I bought my tires at Discount and get them rotated there sometimes. I show them the lifting instructions from the owner's manual, and there hasn't been a problem.
Thank you. What ties did you go with at Discount Tire?
post #1998 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
On the oil filter and changing ......... I use Mobil 1 5W30 as you suggest. I also purchase the Mobil 1 oil filter at O'Rileys (less than $14). As I'm not as limber as once was, I take my purchased oil and filter (which has the washer needed) to my regular shop and they change my oil for $16 and I provide the materials. The extra $16 dollars is worth it to me, plus I know exactly what is going into my engine.
Thank you. I'm considering the ramps to do mine. That way, I can see how the underbelly is. I'll have to try and check out O'Rileys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1999 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just got a black 2007 Redline in pristine condition. I'd post pictures but can't figure out how to do so on here.

I'm in Southern California. Due to safety issues and years alone, the first things I'm looking at are:

1. Gas stations in San Diego county that don't use MMT or 85% Ethanol. Does Vons gas use it?

2. Tires. They look ok, but they are original. Soooo, ouch on the potential new tire cost. Since I mainly cruise, I'm looking for an aesthetically appealing tire with low noise and lasts for my stock chrome 18 inch rims. I'm considering the Pilot Super Sports that I've read about here. Daily driver to work and back. I know nothing about tires.

My huge worry is whether Discount Tire, American Tire or Costco can properly lift my car without damaging it or cracking the plastic behind the front wheels. I've seen this in cars I looked at and read horror stories.

3. An oil change. Mobile 1 5/30 full synthetic... but I find myself wondering what synthetic oil filter to use and where I'd get the filler plug crush washer for a discontinued Saturn company.

This brings me to the service.. do you guys use ramps when changing your oil? Where's that oil filter and drain plug? I haven't been under the car.

4. Top cleaner/protectant... mines black. Bird droppings are common in my area. What's the best?

John
Welcome to the Forum and ownership club of the Kappa.

Since your in the So.Cal area there are many owners out there that could help you with your choice on gas stations available that have what your looking for.
A website check could give you a clue to what station or brands are close to your home/work.

Photos: Take a few, then you can load them here as attachments or drop and drag file location lower on down here.

Tires & Replacement. Many brands on the market these days. The choice is up to the owners here. Budget and usage is next up. Since you are going to use your Kappa as a daily driver, long term wear and tear, road noise, bang for your buck... shop & compare. Your car will come alive with new rubber on it, trust me here. Balance & rotate and 4 wheel alignment is a good thing when replacing 10+ years of old compound, as it is with any car/truck when replacing stock OEM equipment. Air pressure levels change with each owner personal choice, but check them on a regular basis. Check your tire pressure pump in the trunk for operation. Forget the old sealant. Forget tire repair goo Slime too. Messes with the TMPS systems. Buy a good plug repair kit, with tool and sealant for emergency road side repairs.

Cracking the front fenders. Happens. Improper lifting causes damage that can be expensive to fix in some cases. Jacking pucks must be used to avoid this. Some stores have no clue, others might have. Be sure to talk to the SM in charge before... any lifting is involved here. Take pictures of your fenders/wheel liners before you change out your tires. You can purchase these pucks on your own, to be used at locations that does service your car in the future.

Oil & filter change. Mobil 1 is recommended. You can DYI it, you can buy it cheaper at your local auto parts store, than at a dealer would charge you for it.
The filter is on the top of the motor near the back/firewall, not on the bottom end. However if you do take it to a dealer, it's a GM product so they have what you need if you can't find it on E-Bay, Amazon, Rock-Auto etc. Just had mine done the other day, I think I have the filter number here.. #19168267 for $7.00.
Total for the change was $ 62.50 but I had a coupon for $ 50.00 off.

Yes a good set of ramps, jacks or jack stands pays for themselves if you do a lot of DYI stuff in your garage of driveway. Prices and brands and owner results or opinions vary.

Top Cleaner & protectant. 303 or Ragtop are the top 2 choice for usage. Any good RV/Marine store should have these items, some auto parts store have been stocking these items, but you can shop online for these if your having trouble in your area. Bird droppings... buy a car cover, but wash off any droppings asap.
A bird cleaning kit, in your trunk when away from home.

Other safety things to look out for with 10+ years old car here: Water Pump. IF it hasn't been done, prepare err save for it now. Expensive. A good idea would be to have the fluid replaced now. Brake fluid + pads/power steering fluid and maybe like I just did was the rear diff fluid + additive too. Kinda of expensive at $152.00. Dirty and old grease with small metal shavings, and now... like butter. Smooth and no noise or whine. Old battery? IF it is an OEM original, change it now as bad things happen to our cars when the battery goes south.

Safe travels to all our new owners out there.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 11-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #2000 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post

Jacking pucks must be used to avoid this. Some stores have no clue, others might have.

Just had mine done the other day, I think I have the filter number here.. #19168267 for $7.00.

Top Cleaner & protectant. 303 or Ragtop ... buy a car cover, but wash off any droppings asap.

Water Pump... Brake fluid + pads/power steering fluid and maybe like I just did was the rear diff fluid + additive too.

LAC
Thank you. Wow. Lots to do, and concerned who does it.

Water pump without that GM part to get the tensioner right... keeping the pristine condition, pristine... I've had really bad luck with "what can go wrong will go wrong" regarding car servicing, and this is everywhere.

All is sound advice. I'll get with a San Diego Sky group for local suggestions for gas, shops and tips.

Oil filter at the top back... sounds like a messy change. I'll see if there are videos on tips to go about that. I think I read that the oil filter plug torque is 100 foot pounds. Seems excessive. Could mean inch pounds. I think it was 40 foot pounds on my bike, but I'll check way before I attempt the job.

Some pictures load sideways. Lol.

Car cover.. any suggestions on which might not rub on the black paint as much?

I've seen those jacking pucks... like a half bean bag with plastic type slotted stump post on the other side. Can't figure out how these would work with a jack. I'll search for videos... and where exactly on the car they need to be placed. (Haven't found it in the manual yet.)

First thing I should have done was check tire pressure and ensure tire fix equipment was available. Ugg. Just got in the car, and drove. I know better. I haven't even looked to see what the optimal tire pressure is.

Thank you for this.
Have a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_085527_1542120469394.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	103277   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181112_085458_1542120503976.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	103279  
post #2001 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you. Wow. Lots to do, and concerned who does it.

Water pump without that GM part to get the tensioner right... keeping the pristine condition, pristine... I've had really bad luck with "what can go wrong will go wrong" regarding car servicing, and this is everywhere.

All is sound advice. I'll get with a San Diego Sky group for local suggestions for gas, shops and tips.

Oil filter at the top back... sounds like a messy change. I'll see if there are videos on tips to go about that. I think I read that the oil filter plug torque is 100 foot pounds. Seems excessive. Could mean inch pounds. I think it was 40 foot pounds on my bike, but I'll check way before I attempt the job.

Some pictures load sideways. Lol.

Car cover.. any suggestions on which might not rub on the black paint as much?

I've seen those jacking pucks... like a half bean bag with plastic type slotted stump post on the other side. Can't figure out how these would work with a jack. I'll search for videos... and where exactly on the car they need to be placed. (Haven't found it in the manual yet.)

First thing I should have done was check tire pressure and ensure tire fix equipment was available. Ugg. Just got in the car, and drove. I know better. I haven't even looked to see what the optimal tire pressure is.

Thank you for this.
Have a great day.
WP I would let the dealer do that but some techs are clueless to the proper tension. Many owners here have had problems after a dealer replacement. Monitor their work IF you can when at dealers or auto repair places. The wary eye on your gem...at all times.
I do when trusting the unknown... with my toy err joy. I would keep an eye on the temps your seeing in the DIC. 194-205 +/-
any drastic changes or loss of fluid couple be signs or clues? IF it's in as good as condition with little miles on you should be... ok?
Older fluid of 5 yrs.+ no matter what the usage or mileage should be on your check list imo. My recent change of rear diff grease/oil additive was shocking to say the least. Runs way smoother now imo. Have had no problems or sounds of any kinds. Cooler temps here now. Fluids & tires good to go. Might have white stuff here Thursday?
Watch temps readings in your DIC over the next 60+ plus days constantly, everyday use, weekend fun-n-run, auto x, or time attack, the hwy interstate 2 exit blast WOT, anything you do with it. I check temps, mpg, tire pressures, just like checking the mirrors, those I do watch in my DIC while I'm out and about.

San Diego group is a good start. Just had video on here/U-Tube of 24 Kappa's out and about on nice day! Many owners out in SoCal area.

Pics loading sideways. Easy fix.
Oil filter change. Messy but a plastic bag/rags/ gloves are needed to keep it at a minimum.

Many videos on You-Tube about home DYI fixes and custom upgrades. Our owners are devoted in the pursuit of Kappa appreciation.
My You-Tube channel ( LAC Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUo...btm1jo2_8111bw ) is more about driving the Kappa as opposed to fixing it.

Welcome to the $1000.00 club my friend. Tires? Checks box. WP? Pretty much.
Top replacement? Yup. Body panels/brakes among other things here. Start your fund today. Every week few more bucks in the jar...

Warranty recalls: Ignition or PPS done? Check history if you can by the vin# at GM dealers. One of our members here.. A SoCal guy with much knowledge Robo …. was the main effort behind this recall for the rest of us owners here.

Car Covers... many owners here have and use them. Again visit some sites, watch a few videos, listen to others here, and maybe our brothers over on the Sol site who cross post on here from time to time. Prices and options vary. They all rub the paint some. If it's in a garage less windy. Outside could be more of a factor where you live. Little tiny fury friends too. Watch for signs in your engine bay of nesting.

Pucks. Yes they can be bought online. GM parts or BMW has them too. Even the real deal hockey pucks can be used here. They fit on the frame below the door seam. If you feel/see the holes on the frame they lock in there. Position right before you lift. Better safe than sorry here. There is a thread here, on the position location for jack stand points on the body. I've painted those four locations and the lifting puck locations, so the tech at the dealer is blinded by them.

Good check over before you cruise the PCH will be in order. Short and sweet, and close to home or dealer for now until you get things checked out.
There is no jack, or spare or trunk room for that matter in this car. Shocking as it is, be a Boy Scout here.. be prepared. Plug kit under $10. Tire gauge about the same. Two things here. Battery? Change it out when you can IF it's not been done already? Check and seat the fuses too. Thrashing about in the Kappa can work things loose. The other important thing here is .. the masses and attention factor. Be ready for it. #1 here is that other drivers can not see our car... it sits below the line of sight and mirrors of cars/drivers out there. Think parking lot, Big ole SUV, not playing attention... watch for the back up lights. Low dips in the roadway surface can scrape the front nose, be ready for it. Earn your merit badge on this. Mine has been crunched 2-3 times here. Happens.

Attention factor. Stops lights, gas stops, ricer or tools, bumper huggers...police too. Hey buddy what is that thing? Is it a new model? Can I get one? Been there done that before. My gas stop with a Cobra and Vette and my Kappa. Stopped the whole station for about 5 minutes. Stunned silence. And then life goes on, as a nine year old kid asks me... is that Cobra the real deal? Wow what a pretty Vette that one is. What are you driving, I've never seen one those cars before... 3 owners filling up with gas, talking about their cars, with the masses in attendance.

Then after all is looked over and your satisfied she's ready for the Run to_____ the first good cruise happens. 100+plus miles, overnight trip, 3 day I'm calling in sick from work get way for ME. All shined up, beautiful day out, tap to the throttle,a twisty section of road, the "Permagrin" happens. Your face muscles will hurt for days. Your family members and co-workers will wonder what the hell is wrong with you these days. Shhhhhh.. don't tell um ever. It's our secret gem at work once again.

Then you get crazy and film you & the car like me. Picking your top 5 roads for decompression is fun to do. Can always be updated as you go. I have several go to roads for enjoyment/permagrin factor. You will too.

Enjoy.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 11-14-2018 at 08:35 AM.
post #2002 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you. What ties did you go with at Discount Tire?
It was 5 years ago. I got Michelin MXV4s, which are no longer available and I don't know what replaced them. I was looking for a touring tire, and I'm happy with my purchase.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #2003 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Garage
Our roads in Socal are terrible. I have talked to several Michilen PSS drivers, and all seem to complain about the same thing I do with them. They follow the truck trails, side walls are soft for cornering and supple feel in the twisties, but sometimes you get caught in them on the freeway. I really do not know what to recommend, but persoanlly like the Bridgestone Re71R. But they don't last, are rough as heck in the cold weather, meaning below 60 degrees. Supposedly do not work well in rain, but I drove mine to Colorado and back in a major rain storm and never had problems with them.

I think I read somewhere the Michelin that is a step below the PSS is a pretty good tire for our area. Side walls aren't as soft, makes them more stable in our truck tracked roads.
post #2004 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I think I read somewhere the Michelin that is a step below the PSS is a pretty good tire for our area. Side walls aren't as soft, makes them more stable in our truck tracked roads.
Thank you.

The other suggested tire website showed the Goodrich comp 2's to be a sporty summer tire.

I'd like to find a good long listing touring tire that won't have any problem doing 130 if I open up a can of whoop... for a brief spell... but in general, I drive very conservative.

You input is always appreciated.
post #2005 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

John
John, you are fortunate to be in an area that has a very active Sky/Solstice group (Check out SD Sky Solstice on FB. We have a drive to Julian this Sunday if you're interested...I'm going to try and be there.)

When I am changing my oil, I put the whole car up on jack stands. Ramps work but I don't like having the car at that angle and leaving that much old oil in the drainpan. Unfortunately our drain plugs are on the side of the car kind of in the middle of the length of the pan so I like to keep the car level. I may induce a bit of a side lean to get more oil out next time. LOL

As for damaging the car when changing wheels/tires...it's more than just the fenders getting damaged. I had a tire place "run in" the lugnuts using an impact wrench...wound up breaking FOUR wheel studs next time I tried to take them off. Our studs do not play wheel when the lug nuts are hammered down with an impact wrench like most tire places like to do it. Also, our studs are kind of unique and can't be found at just any autoparts store. I had to order mine to get the right length that would go into the wheel without taking the whole wheel hub off.

For me, I like to jack up my car, put it on jack stands, remove the wheels and then take them down in my truck to have new tires put on. No fender damage, no lug damage...if you have a truck or access to one I highly recommend it. You can do it the next time you change your own oil. LOL

I'm up in Winchester (Basically in Murrieta by the French Valley Airport) and am always pretty available if you need some help. I do almost all the work on my car myself except for jobs that are going to take more than a weekend.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2006 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Quote:
Just got a black 2007 Redline in pristine condition.

John
I'm up in Winchester (Basically in Murrieta by the French Valley Airport) and am always pretty available if you need some help. I do almost all the work on my car myself except for jobs that are going to take more than a weekend.
Wow! You're a nice guy! Thank you. And, I'm in North Country, about 35 minutes from you. Lol. I usually do all the work myself to. I do have a Tacoma.

Thank's for the info on the lug nuts. Last time I replaced one of those was on a 68 Firebird.

I have a pretty good torque wrench... what socket size did you use, and what torque did you use for your lugs?

Drain plug bolt... what size socket and torque?

I'm lucky to be close to you. I learn quickly.

I'd love to go to Julian. My wife would REALLY be happy about that (parking there is a bit of s pain). It's only like 45 minutes from me. But... I'm worried about these tires. They look really good, garraged and drove by an older lady who got it as a BD present from her husband (Hopefully from her husband. Lol. She's been married to him since time began.)

They are the original tires! Haha. 2007. Hate to have a blow out on the way there or back. And then there's the oil. Mobile 1 5/30 wt... with a 2015 date scribbled in the manual as the oil change date! I so- hope that wasn't the last change. I have a message into the owner about that. Since he has his own garage, changed the battery, and had a fleet of jeeps... I'm so hoping he was responsible about the car his wife kinda drove.

Then there's the noise. I'm thinking the water pump. I'd love for you to hear it.

Darn... my wife would so love that Sunday Julian Trip...

Thank you for being a great person.
post #2007 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wow! You're a nice guy! Thank you. And, I'm in North Country, about 35 minutes from you. Lol. I usually do all the work myself to. I do have a Tacoma.

Thank's for the info on the lug nuts. Last time I replaced one of those was on a 68 Firebird.

I have a pretty good torque wrench... what socket size did you use, and what torque did you use for your lugs?

Drain plug bolt... what size socket and torque?

I'm lucky to be close to you. I learn quickly.

I'd love to go to Julian. My wife would REALLY be happy about that (parking there is a bit of s pain). It's only like 45 minutes from me. But... I'm worried about these tires. They look really good, garraged and drove by an older lady who got it as a BD present from her husband (Hopefully from her husband. Lol. She's been married to him since time began.)

They are the original tires! Haha. 2007. Hate to have a blow out on the way there or back. And then there's the oil. Mobile 1 5/30 wt... with a 2015 date scribbled in the manual as the oil change date! I so- hope that wasn't the last change. I have a message into the owner about that. Since he has his own garage, changed the battery, and had a fleet of jeeps... I'm so hoping he was responsible about the car his wife kinda drove.

Then there's the noise. I'm thinking the water pump. I'd love for you to hear it.

Darn... my wife would so love that Sunday Julian Trip...

Thank you for being a great person.
The thing with our lugs is their length and what they have to clear to get into the hole. The base of the lug is D shaped rather than O shaped. The flat spot on the D is so that the base can clear the upright the hub is bolted to when inserting it into the wheel hub. If it had a O shaped base, it wouldn't clear the upright for how long it is. Now, if you get a shorter lug with an O base you can get it in but then you have about 3 threads worth of lug to screw the lug nut onto...I'm not a fan of that. This is why the OEM lugs are kind of your only option unless you go with ARP extra long lugs and with them I'm not sure if you have to take the hub off or not to get them in.

Wrench size for the lug nuts, last I recall, is a 19mm which is the same as a 3/4". Torque spec is 100ft/lbs. I usually do that and a 1/8th turn or so.

Oil drain I want to say is a 15mm? Could be anything from a 13mm to an 18mm...I just don't remember for sure. I usually start with the 15mm. Torque spec I don't know...I snug it down good with a 1/2" ratchet wrench and have no leaks. I tend to tighten things a bit too much though so I'd Google the torque specs for it to be certain.

The noise I'd have to hear. Noises are so subjective as to even what they sound like much less what they might be.

Thanks but I'm just playing it forward. I have had a lot of folks help me along the way so I just am repaying their kindness. I'd offer to help you check out the car, change the oil, and all that jazz this Saturday but I'm chasing down a vacuum leak that's been making me mental for a while. We'll have to plan a local mod day sometime within the next few months...maybe after the holidays.

We have a good group of people in this area. Eric and Myrna run SD Sky Solstice and are great at putting on events. Forty is one of the moderators (as am I) of the Facebook Solstice/Sky/Opel GT/Daewoo G2X group. He has a Sky with Norm's fiberglass coupe top and a V8 but has had issues for 2 years+ getting it all together. His wife Khala got a black Solstice now and I think she's going on the run this weekend. Then there is @skersfan who has THREE Skys and HAD the first Mallett V8 Solstice sold to the public that he rescued and restored. Two of his Skys are pretty tricked out (Redlines both...one Kawasaki green and the other is the Yellow and Black Sky you see on this site's banner with the Opel grill) and the third is a pretty well worn 2.4 that he's going to turn into a cool trailer...maybe. LOL Then there is @jgassor who is in Elsinore. He comes out to the runs every now and again but he and I do autocross about 4-6 times a year. Super great guy who is learning a lot about working on these cars.

We always love expanding the group.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2008 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Then there is @jgassor who is in Elsinore. He comes out to the runs every now and again but he and I do autocross about 4-6 times a year. Super great guy who is learning a lot about working on these cars.
I am pretty sure I attend more of the runs than you do Robo! (though I wont be at Julian as playing golf)

I still consider myself a wannabe mechanic, and Robo has helped me a lot. I have changed my oil/filter many times now quite enjoy the exercise. The oil pan nut is definitely 15mm and only needs to be torqued to around 12-15 pounds. Removing the oil filter needs a 32mm nut I believe and basically just needs to be hand tightened plus a half turn as its a plastic cover.

John, I would be happy to take a drive out to you and go through the oil change but these next two weekends I have plans so cant do it immediately. If you have not gotten the oil change done in the next couple of weeks we can definitely hook up. I can bring ramps or jack stands and a floor jack, plus the jacking pucks for you to see them being used. I can even bring the Mobil1 oil and an oil catch if you need that. I think Robo uses Royal Purple oil and some people like AMSOil but I stick with the recommended Mobil1 5W30 myself. I normally buy a box of 6 quarts from Costco when they have them on sale (normally around $37 I think).

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #2009 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=jgassor;1288819]
Quote:
Then there is @jgassor who is in Elsinore.

John, I would be happy to take a drive out to you and go through the oil change but these next two weekends I have plans so cant do it immediately. If you have not gotten the oil change done in the next couple of weeks we can definitely hook up. I can bring ramps or jack stands and a floor jack, plus the jacking pucks for you to see them being used. I can even bring the Mobil1 oil and an oil catch if you need that. I think Robo uses Royal Purple oil and some people like AMSOil but I stick with the recommended Mobil1 5W30 myself. I normally buy a box of 6 quarts from Costco when they have them on sale (normally around $37 I think).
Wow! Thank you. I'll definitely take you up on that. I need to learn this car .

I just found out that the prior owner hadn't changed the oil for a year, or more. Here's his statement: "I don't recall but the records I keep on the computer says the oil needs to be changed due to time. I use Mobile 1 annual protection with a qt. of Lucas oil stabilizer with each change."

Ok, so I have the GMC dealer doing the oil, transmission and coolant flush change. I'll do it the next time, but holy mackerel... had to get it done pronto, and I'm not set up to do it myself yet. They are putting in GM's full synthetic 5/30 weight. I wanted Mobile 1, but... next time. This was more of an emergency with someone/ somewhere that knew the car.

I was so hoping to get the tires done but they have to order them... so I called American Tires (discount tire in San Diego). "We do Mercedes, Ferrari and others. Pucks? They come with the car kit right?". Wrong answer. I like them for the free balance and rotate. But...

I need tires. Choices are here and there.. I want quiet tires.... tires that don't follow the grooves in the road, and last... really... about 45k."
post #2010 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgassor View Post
Pucks? They come with the car kit right?
I had to buy a set for my own use. Take a look at these pucks on eBay to give you an idea. Couple of good pictures there too (find them cheaper though, normally if they fit a Corvette you can also use them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Sol...aT9y:rk:1:pf:0

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in