Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself! - Page 135 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2011 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgassor View Post
I am pretty sure I attend more of the runs than you do Robo! (though I wont be at Julian as playing golf)
I'd agree with that. I only say most because I knew you weren't going to be there this weekend.

Quote:
I still consider myself a wannabe mechanic, and Robo has helped me a lot. I have changed my oil/filter many times now quite enjoy the exercise. The oil pan nut is definitely 15mm and only needs to be torqued to around 12-15 pounds. Removing the oil filter needs a 32mm nut I believe and basically just needs to be hand tightened plus a half turn as its a plastic cover.
Totally forgot to mention this. I had to get a special low profile nut from Autozone to get mine out as my sockets were all too tall to clear...

Quote:
John, I would be happy to take a drive out to you and go through the oil change but these next two weekends I have plans so cant do it immediately. If you have not gotten the oil change done in the next couple of weeks we can definitely hook up. I can bring ramps or jack stands and a floor jack, plus the jacking pucks for you to see them being used. I can even bring the Mobil1 oil and an oil catch if you need that. I think Robo uses Royal Purple oil and some people like AMSOil but I stick with the recommended Mobil1 5W30 myself. I normally buy a box of 6 quarts from Costco when they have them on sale (normally around $37 I think).
I use both Royal Purple and AMSOIL...just found out the local AMSOIL dealer is a couple miles from my house.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I use both Royal Purple and AMSOIL...just found out the local AMSOIL dealer is a couple miles from my house. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/biggrin2.gif[/IMG]
I hope the dealer full synthetic 5/30 Mobile 1 replacement stuff holds out until I do the mobile 1 myself
post #2013 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have ran full syn since I got the car. Mobil 1 before I switched to Royal Purple. Followed the engine oil life monitor for change interval. Got the car with 44K on it...134,600 on it now...about 60K of it with a turbo...no issues with burning oil.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I have ran full syn since I got the car. Mobil 1 before I switched to Royal Purple. Followed the engine oil life monitor for change interval. Got the car with 44K on it...134,600 on it now...about 60K of it with a turbo...no issues with burning oil.
Then with 26000 on this 2007, I guess I can expect some life out of this car. If it wasn't for this specific car, I usually buy Japanese cars for longevity.

When the dealers full synthetic runs it's course, I'll switch to Mobile 1. Any reason you went Royal?

Looks like someone tried to key my car... right front fender, top at passenger light all the way up the right fender. It's barely visible, but there. People... see something nice, and they just have to...
post #2015 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Pucks? They come with the car kit right?
I had to buy a set for my own use. Take a look at these pucks on eBay to give you an idea. Couple of good pictures there too (find them cheaper though, normally if they fit a Corvette you can also use them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Sol...aT9y:rk:1:pf:0
Thank you again. This came up in Spanish... I'll try to find an English equivalent. Could just be my phone being weird.

I notice most pictures look really good. Mine tend to "load" sideways after the site's "reduction". Guess my pucture resolution is to high (Galaxy Note 9)Welcome!  Feel free to introduce yourself!-smartselect_20181118-084944_samsung-internet_1542559897183.jpg
post #2016 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Then there is @jgassor who is in Elsinore.
John, I would be happy to take a drive out to you and go through the oil change...

I normally buy a box of 6 quarts from Costco when they have them on sale (normally around $37 I think).
Again, that's very nice of you (all). Lake Elsinore is a bit of a hike for you...

I have to get the required stuff, then I'll take everyone up on their offers. Maybe we can all get together...

I usually do my own... but after finding out that the seller hadn't performed maintenance for a VERY (embarrassing) long time, all this was more of an emergency... with a good inspection. I'm sure breaks, and differential fluid should also be done.

It's Christmas time... two awesone daughters and a wife to look after before anything but tires is done.

Wish list... Lights... I've seen the fake vents lit up, and it looks hot! Red or blue would really look nice glowing from those side quarter panel vents. Don't know who does it.... but it's a "wish".

Glass lit wind screen... with "Redline" glowing in red (or blue). Also don't know about the install challenges.
Incidentally, I have an wind screen on now. Is like "stock"? Not sure how to take it off. Just pull it out? Didn't want to mess with it just yet. Strapped for time. Tires are the focus.

There's actually a holder/ case in the trunk for this wind screen, so I know it comes off.

Radio head unit with bluetooth and android play. I think I read where Robo said that could help increase sound heard when driving... first... then think about speakers.

My stock stereo plays my music through a bluetooth reciever I plugged into the outlet. Ironically, unless I adjust the radio balance, it sounds like I only hear the left speakers. I attribute that to the speaker proximity to the driver.

I just bought the Costco oil for my truck, on sale, just as you said. Nice.

Thank's!

Last edited by ParakeetJohn; 11-18-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #2017 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
Again, that's very nice of you (all). Lake Elsinore is a bit of a hike for you...

I have to get the required stuff, then I'll take everyone up on their offers. Maybe we can all get together...

I usually do my own... but after finding out that the seller hadn't performed maintenance for a VERY (embarrassing) long time, all this was more of an emergency... with a good inspection. I'm sure breaks, and differential fluid should also be done.

It's Christmas time... two awesone daughters and a wife to look after before anything but tires is done.

Wish list... Lights... I've seen the fake vents lit up, and it looks hot! Red or blue would really look nice glowing from those side quarter panel vents. Don't know who does it.... but it's a "wish".

Glass lit wind screen... with "Redline" glowing in red (or blue). Also don't know about the install challenges.
Incidentally, I have an wind screen on now. Is like "stock"? Not sure how to take it off. Just pull it out? Didn't want to mess with it just yet. Strapped for time. Tires are the focus.

There's actually a holder/ case in the trunk for this wind screen, so I know it comes off.

Radio head unit with bluetooth and android play. I think I read where Robo said that could help increase sound heard when driving... first... then think about speakers.

My stock stereo plays my music through a bluetooth reciever I plugged into the outlet. Ironically, unless I adjust the radio balance, it sounds like I only hear the left speakers. I attribute that to the speaker proximity to the driver.

I just bought the Costco oil for my truck, on sale, just as you said. Nice.

Thank's!

Dear Santa... please fill my stockin with these asap. Does Santa have upgrades to his sled? Yeah those elves have been hard at work lately. Removed the stock motor added a 6.2 Hemi to it. Fly's by them geese now...

* seller hadn't performed maintenance for a VERY (embarrassing) long time. There you go. Pays to find out if you can before you
do anything to it.

* two awesome daughters and a wife to look after before... Ahhh a trip to Zales or Jarad is in order here. Christmas and diamonds
go together so well? It's that time of year again, the TV commercials for this are endless here for it. When has any AD agency
shown a women buying her husband a HD for Christmas?
Now if you do that, will the wife buy you.. what you need for your toy?
Daughters will want the next hot thing on the market. Can't be left out of the IN crowd.

* Vent lights. Pretty cool. I like them too. However careful with the blue. Law enforcement has the market for this. You could go to an RV/Marine store for small 2-3 LED lights, that can be added to your running lights or turn signals. Owners have removed these panels cut out or away the plastic here and installed strip lights. I think you could... drill two small holes, from inside the engine bay without removing the panels, attach your lights by double-sided tape or glue, then wire them up?

* Lit wind deflector. See our vendor here. The fly swatter? Or solid plexiglass one? The removal should be easy. Mine has four screws where it attaches. Some have slots or clips. Open your trunk lid see what you have? I think the one I have is aftermarket. From the previous owner. Smoked out, I used it some when I first bought the car. Now I rarely use it these days. Some like it, others not so much. I think the kit comes with all the wiring you will need for install?

* Bluetooth- stock speakers... I'll leave this one to the experts here. Have you checked the balance knob for your speakers? Left/right front/back?

* On sale... yeah lot of sale stuff going on at this time of year. Shop and compare cause your wife will let you know.. that Jarad's is having a sale this weekend matter of fact? Look for her clues...if you know what's good for you!

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 11-19-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #2018 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I've seen them and they do look really cool in person (saw red on a yellow car) and install is fairly straightforward.

Quote:

Get some pictures of it. It could be the OEM "flyswatter" or it could be a WindRestrictor product. There were a number of different options for a while. The OEM flyswatter has two mounting points on the tulip panel for it. While you can find the windscreen part, those mounting points are near impossible to find these days.

Quote:

Thank's!
Head unit is huge however you could have an audio problem as well. Are you saying you can hear the right speakers if you adjust the balance full right?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #2019 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you again. This came up in Spanish... I'll try to find an English equivalent. Could just be my phone being weird.
Wow, thats weird, the eBay page comes up in English for me.!

Good to hear you saw a deal at Costco. I went in there recently but didnt see it on sale. I may have missed it but will be heading in again this week. I always pick up a box if its on sale and just store it

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #2020 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
Quote:
... please fill my stockin with these asap.

LAC
Thank's for the comments. Right now I'd settle for definitive pictures of the front lift points and whether there's truly jack points AND a lift points... so I can point (pun) these out to tire shops. Gotta change these perfect appearing 11 year old tires out before I can even drive this car.

This is one of those situations where researching the internet left me with more questions than answers.

Thus far, I found out (all unverified):

1. Modified hockey pucks can work, but have failed on rare.

2. You can purchase BMW pucks, and they should work. (See front lift point later mentioned.)

3. GM part plugs are for the jack itself, and not mobile (the jack pad is changed out)

4. You can lift by the back lift point (either side), which should lift the entire side for left or right side tire removal.

5. The rear lift point (either side) is to be used and GM states not to use the front lift point (??). Also with this focus, I've read where the front doesn't even accommodate a puck in the spot(s), supporting this mention.

(Ironically, I saw another site post a picture of the front puck lift point being used.)

6. The actual front lift (jack) point is on the assembly between the air dam and front tire (??).

7. A slew of threads where the are "jack points" (that you can then put jack stands under the "lift points") and where they're located.

I'm not precise on any of this. Before I approach DT or Costco on how to properly lift my car, I need to be clear on this myself. Lol.

Ugg.

So... that's all I want in my stocking... except of course, my two front teeth (Christmas song: Alvin and the Chipmunks).
post #2021 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Good to hear you saw a deal at Costco. I went in there recently but didnt see it on sale. I may have missed it but will be heading in again this week. I always pick up a box if its on sale and just store it [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile5.gif[/IMG]
It was about a week or so ago. I knew the truck was getting close to the change, so I got it. Sometimes their sales don't last long. Sometimes I find out through that mailer they send out.
post #2022 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Get some pictures of it. It could be the OEM "flyswatter"..."
It's the fly swatter. How do I pull it out? Yank upward? Didn't want to bust the thing before I did a bit of research. I've learned this the hard way. Lol. The prior owner said it comes off, and there's a pouch for it in the trunk.

I hear the speakers on the right when the balance is adjusted toward them. When balance is center, I only hear the left speakers, which I attribute to the close proximity of the speakers. I'd imagine the passenger hears the opposite. I haven't tested this out yet. Things are a bit slow at all this with work, DMV visits (double Ugg!), and necessary emergent maintenance. Proper lift/tires are like priority.
post #2023 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Here's what I see...Welcome!  Feel free to introduce yourself!-smartselect_20181119-081547_chrome_1542644296797.jpg
post #2024 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
It's the fly swatter. How do I pull it out? Yank upward? Didn't want to bust the thing before I did a bit of research. I've learned this the hard way. Lol. The prior owner said it comes off, and there's a pouch for it in the trunk.

I hear the speakers on the right when the balance is adjusted toward them. When balance is center, I only hear the left speakers, which I attribute to the close proximity of the speakers. I'd imagine the passenger hears the opposite. I haven't tested this out yet. Things are a bit slow at all this with work, DMV visits (double Ugg!), and necessary emergent maintenance. Proper lift/tires are like priority.
For lift points the rules are simple.

You will find two spots under each side of the car that are jacking points. The rear is the easiest to find as it has a cut out on the rocker panel to clear it. The front one looks just the same. With lifting pucks, these are your jacking points.

The front lift points...the two inboard flat plates with two holes in them on each side...are ONLY for lifts with the larger pads to engage the full lift point. Using a jack on these will deform them...just look at mine. Do not use these to jack the car with a floor jack. The jacking points can be used with a lift so long as you use pucks. @jgassor has some nice aluminum pucks he uses and gave one to me since both him and I do our own tires using a jack to lift the car onto jack stands.

I would contact @skersfan if you want a really nice air blocker that will fit those mounting holes. He got a car that had them too and went with a WindRestrictor but he hated having those holes. (Loved the WindRestrictor though and if you can live with the holes, they are the go to for lit wind deflectors.) So he found a place I believe in Europe that can make a wind deflector that fits that mounting in a glass or acrylic. Can't remember which it is or if it is lighted but it looks very clean.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #2025 of 2069 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It's the fly swatter. How do I pull it out? Yank upward?
.. .if you want a really nice air blocker that will fit those mounting holes. He got a car that had them too
Thank you. In the meantime, I'd like to find a resource that lists how to remove the removable fly swatter.

After tires, I'll look into lighting up the side vents... red. I've seen a car with blue, but as stated by someone, the highway patrol might not like it.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in