Well...finally happened...head gasket gone. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Robotech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Garage
Well...finally happened...head gasket gone.

Head gasket had been damaged for a while (October) but finally gave up the ghost today about 3 miles from home...thank God. Limped it home and parked it. Head should be done this weekend and have to schedule with the mechanic to get it done and the new engine in.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

That sucks Robotech, best of luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Garage
If you want to start on Sunday, Curtis plans to be at the shop.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Garage
So sorry to hear...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that Robotech, glad you made it home.

"The Sky's The Limit"

(Ghost-Sky)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
a280z thanks for the support man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Dang. Bad start of the weekend.

But why keep driving with a damaged gasket, and why a new engine ?
I was driving on the damaged gasket because it was a minor leak. Not enough to mix oil with water, not enough to show up all of the time, not great loss of coolant, and....

...I had a new small block that was going to go in the car anyway.

Understand that the LE5 (2.4L NA) in my car was not optimized for boost from the factory. The 10.4:1 compression is too high to be optimal for a turbocharged application. It is the main thing that holds back the performance of a boosted 2.4. The 2.0 Redline is lower at 9.2:1. This is why you can throw 25 psi of boost at an LNF (2.0 turbo engine in the Redline) and I gently popped a head gasket at 15 psi. I lowered it back down to 10 after the initial lift but I knew that my time was limited. A hard acceleration out of a corner yesterday was the last straw.

The new engine was on order before I had any issue with the current engine as I wanted more than the 266whp I currently had (ask skersfan, I'm not right in the head). It has forged 8.8:1 compression pistons, forged rods, ARP head studs, ARP timing hardware, new timing chains, balanced rotating assembly, balance shafts deleted, WR-4 turbo, and larger radiator. This was the initial plan. While waiting for a time when my mechanic could install it, he talked about decking the head on my current engine before putting it on the small block I had ordered.

At this time, I figured if I'm going to DECK it ANYWAY (anyone who has ever modified the car knows this phrase in some form)...why not do it right...so I bought a new head and sent it off for +1mm valves on the intake and exhaust, harder single springs, titanium retainers, and port and polish work. While this head was being worked on, I discovered that the ECM in the 2.4 may be flex fuel capable...so I'll be wiring in the proper GM sensor with the engine out too.

While waiting for the head, the car started having starting issues I traced back to bad terminal connectors at the battery...so I yesterday morning I ordered new cables since the head should be done today and I'm picking it up tomorrow...all this before the head gasket full failure.

So the new engine will hold a lot more power and produce a lot more power thanks to the forged internals, head work, and new turbo. That was the point of the whole build. The gasket failure just happened at the best time it could have happened. The entire engine build was to address the compression issue and strength of the engine for the larger turbo. This turbo is designed for the 2.0 (but I basically have a 2.0 turbo on my 2.4 so it's a direct bolt on for my setup) and good for up to 600 bhp on that platform. I am shooting for 450-500 whp on mine. This is why I'm looking into the Flex Fuel capability to take advantage of the couple of E85 stations near me.

I don't know if I can make it out to Curtis's place this weekend @skersfan...but next weekend for sure. Do you know if he'll be there around then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
So sorry to hear...
Thanks Mike but no worries...the engine swap was already part of the plan and with it breaking so close to home it was a real godsend. The only way this timing could have been more perfect is if it happened about two weeks later when the new engine was assembled and ready to go in.
marlboromike, RedOne07 and a280z like this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 04-26-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Garage
I have put off my engine for this weekend, because he is so far behind. The other mechanic is swamped, and he leaves in three weeks. Curtis will get what ever he has not finished and be under a strict time line I suspect. Trying to get mine running before Solvang which is the 17-19th of May. Also the Ugly Rock (Blue Stone 1) needs to be running by the first.of June. He has a 300 Z that has to be done soon, as the guy is driving him and me nuts. A friend of the wife's Audi just blew up with 69K on it, no warranty and they want 14,712.50 to replace the engine. The car, if running perfectly, is worth 7K at auction. He will most likely inherit that little bombshell. Stay away from Palm Springs Audi.

So what I am saying is the quicker you can get the engine together the better chance you have, because he is totally getting buried. I am going down Sunday to help him with the Z. I could help you then to. Not that I a lot of help, but am quite the goffer. lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I may try and get down there Sunday then with the other parts...I'll have to talk with the other half.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
So did you get the E85 issues worked out?

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
So did you get the E85 issues worked out?
Haven't started yet but the parts are on order. I'm going to wire in the sensor while the engine is out since it will probably be a bit easier to get to the connector at the ECM that way. I want to get the 91 gasoline tune figured out before I turn on any of the Flex Fuel controls since it really just modifies those settings (adds more fuel and advances timing). Got to get the new engine in, broken in, tuned, and then I can start dealing with that...but will be ready for it.

Say, you wouldn't have access to a couple spare Molex MX64 18-20 Gauge pins for the MX135 connector, would you? LOL Only part I still need...preferably with it already crimped to a wire but I'm not picky at this point. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in