What did you do to your Sky today? - Page 199 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

222Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2971 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I actually drove it away from the grass hill it's been parked on. The pads were rusted to the rotors and took a few blocks to stop thumping as I applied the brakes. I'm glad I have new pads, rotors, and lines to go on soon. I needed that little drive to reinvigorate my love for that little car. Since moving to the East Coast and not having garage space to park it in yet I've been a little depressed about not being about to drive it as much as when I was in the Southwest.

RKSport Hood
DDM I/C Pipes, OCC, Shifter Kit, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolts, trunk/hood lights
Werks I/C, Rad, Backbone & Swaybars
reBar
K&N CAI
MF Catback
Solo Race Pipe
3bar MAP w/ ZZP Tune
Windrestrictor & Lit Sills
Quaife Diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Got microfiber towels and cleaned the car up a bit. Looking at ordering a stubby antenna.

The stereo thing intrigues me, but I don't plan to spend much time in my car for a decent part of the year. I will still try to justify that purchase to myself, but I plan to experiment with some options before I'd pull the trigger.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #2973 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
I ordered a stubby antenna, ordered HUGE fob-key thing, bought a license plate surround for $2 and plastidipped it, put hood vents on (I dipped them 6 weeks ago), put the grille pieces back on after deciding that I'd just take it off again after I have time to make my custom badge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	88537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	88545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	88553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	88561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	88569  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
It's not flat, and it's closer to square than rectangular. It's a little bit domed/convex, and it's a squarish shield shape. The bottom edge gradually comes down to a point (sort of). I did actually get to do some work on my design work this week. I need to get my supplies together so that I can etch it the way I plan to. I'm not putting mine back under the grille piece. I'm going to affix it on the outside. I just need to figure out how I want to do that. I see pros and cons of tape as well as a liquid adhesive.
Took me a bit to get back to this, but thanks for the info. It sounds very similar to the outer surface shape, which makes sense-- was hoping it was a little less odd but still probably more options that trying a perfect layer on top.
Even with the insert shape being complex, being more "inside" it may allow a few tricks. Guess I'll pull it and take a look.

08 RL Auto, Onyx / Black
Stock spoiler
Billet Grille, Opel Ant
Halos, Eyelids
Wind Restrictor, RV10 Sun Shades
K&N Typhoon
DDM Charge Pipes, Venom Brace
PA HFC and Tune
Debadged
post #2975 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
I finally installed my Christmas Present.
A new Kenwood DDX9703S Radio.
It replaced a Kenwood 8120DNX that does not support any of the current smartphones outside of a Bluetooth pairing.
With CarPlay, I did not need a model that has GPS.

Since I already had a Kenwood, all of the old stuff just plugged right in. Steering wheel controls, rear view camera etc.
Last pic is everything buttoned up and working.
Nice! I have a different model, DNX573S, on my wish list--not sure how similar it is /isn't to yours. Have a few other projects to finish before I can justify a purchase like that, though. Maybe in 2018

08 RL Auto, Onyx / Black
Stock spoiler
Billet Grille, Opel Ant
Halos, Eyelids
K&N Typhoon
PA HFC and Tune
Debadged
post #2976 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to the forum. I am having trouble with my sky today. When I went to leave work and pop the trunk, one of the convertible top latches didn't release. Even with numerous clicks of the release button, it couldn't get it to budge. I couldn't even get the truck to close either. So I drove home with a continual beeping. Any solutions from you experienced owners? I only have one car to drive. Thanks from NJQT2
post #2977 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Garage
Did you try lifting the buttress while pushing the trunk unlock switch? I doubt this will help but worth a shot just to check and make sure the latch is working but the buttress isn't popping up.

Here's a good thread Rob the Elder shared from the Solstice forum on your problem.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...ms-info-36359/

Welcome to the forum but for future reference, it is better for you to post questions like this in a new thread or try a search (if you didn't already) rather than posting a question like this in an existing thread that isn't related. This will usually get you more responses faster as people will see the new title and read it rather than bypass it because it's a thread they already have read and may not have interest in.

Let us know (in a new thread) what you find out as you troubleshoot the problem.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2978 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you. I tried several ways to post this question but when I submitted the message, I kept getting a response like "someone will review your and post your item". So, I'm trying to get an answer as soon as possible. The link has some good information and I'll try to do it myself tomorrow.
post #2979 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endstate View Post
Nice! I have a different model, DNX573S, on my wish list--not sure how similar it is /isn't to yours. Have a few other projects to finish before I can justify a purchase like that, though. Maybe in 2018
That model,has built in navigation
With CarPlay, I have the navigation on my phone, so I decided to skip that. I also did not like the lack of updates on the maps for the built in Nav. It did not keep up with all of the recent road changes and the routing logic was kind of weird.
So now I can use Apple maps or my Navigon app which are both on my iPhone

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #2980 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wind dancer. I see that you have an aftermarket shift knob and boot on your sky. I know now after ordering a shift knob i couldnt install a year ago that our cars require a conversion kit to change the knobs. Were you able to install the aftermarket knob directly onto the short shifter or did it require the converter in addition to the shift knob? Also I noticed the boot was different, does changing the shifter require a new boot as well or was that cosmetic? Wanting to order a short shifter, but wondering if i need a new boot and if ill be able to finally install this new knob?

Thanks, pat
post #2981 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
That model,has built in navigation
With CarPlay, I have the navigation on my phone, so I decided to skip that. I also did not like the lack of updates on the maps for the built in Nav. It did not keep up with all of the recent road changes and the routing logic was kind of weird.
So now I can use Apple maps or my Navigon app which are both on my iPhone
Yeah, we have noticed a couple update gaps in our other car's nav system. No idea when they will have new files available.
I don't use Apple products, so if their app is only for that brand of kool-aid it won't do me any good. It does raise some options for me to think about that I hadn't, though!

08 RL Auto, Onyx / Black
Stock spoiler
Billet Grille, Opel Ant
Halos, Eyelids
K&N Typhoon
PA HFC and Tune
Debadged
post #2982 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
It fully supports Android phones as well.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #2983 of 3815 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 PM

Garage
Bought a pair of H11 for 5.05 per, and a pair of H9 for 3.05 per. Sylvania.
I bought some heatshrink to fix my passenger side cup holder. To try, but I'm onto something. I'll get it sorted yet!

post #2984 of 3815 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Well I drove the little blue car, somewhat aggressively today. Imagine that, considering it has been parked for the last 10 days or so. Had to get fresh gas in it, so an ATM stop was involved. While I tooled along to the bank/gas station there was a problem with my drive.

Oh no LAC what now? No worries gang. Car is fine as silk, and I did have to get out of the house. My brother was driving me, well to driving lol. Was painting the kitchen in this old farm house of mine, ran a bit short on paint, off to Lowes for a refill.

The problem was POLICE. Every where. In the first 3 miles, I had 3 state troopers in my view, one who had a semi pulled over. Then 2 county sheriff's go wizzing by, something must be up. Radar trap? Nope maybe a bank robbery? Nope something was up, just not sure. Not a good time to be out driving, just my luck I picked now to go for a cruise.

On to Lowes for the paint, and traffic was clear so I upped the throttle " just a bit". A quick look down at the speedo, and I said "That's not good". Get the paint you fool, and get back home. I did but, just one more tap on the throttle to make sure it was " working " properly. Yup back home safe and sound. Car had it's work out, and me too. Now back to finishing my paint job, and avoiding any police in the area. I'm already tired of painting, let's go for another cruise, checking for the police first though! That was a close one.

Safe driving out there gang.

LAC
post #2985 of 3815 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Garage
Temps in the low 80stoday do I got out the new 303 package and cleaned and then waterproofed the top.

303 is easy and inexpensive but.....

1) its only good for 6mo to a year.....
2) it is bad for your plastic and paint.....

In the old days, we used "top dressing" that came in a pint can and was applied with a brush. Twice the work of 303 but......

1) It lasted 3 to 5 years......
2) Over-spray is not a problem when you use a brush and the compound is thick......

I think the old stuff was probably 1/2 turpentine and 1/2 tar. Not good for white tops or on plastic tops. Mine is black and canvas. Smelled for a few weeks,but I liked the smell of creosote. my wife doesnt. But even taking twice as long to apply, you had at least three years to rest before applying it again....LOL

The Old Daze were better............

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in