What did you do to your Sky today? - Page 248 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3706 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Current mileage - 127,800, just a few more than yours If I hadn't known the owner and car since it were new, I don't think I would have bought the car. Plus the existing after market warranty is great. I have all the maintenance records since it was new too.

Brake kit - Power Stop K1434 Front and Rear Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads. Not the top of the line but I have used them in the past on other vehicles and have had no issues.

Local Mechanic Shop did the work, pads had been changed in the past by previous owner but rotors never done, old pads were actually still good but I wanted to zero out both so I know where I stand. I have done brakes and rotors myself in the past, but I just don't have the spare time these days. Not a difficult job, but nice when you have a lift.

Still has factory brake lines and still in good shape (but will change soon and flush fluid again as well), fluid was changed at about 78,000 according to service records, hub bolts were checked and torqued.

The calipers are actually caliper covers that the previous owner installed. (link)MGP Caliper Covers I didn't like them when I first saw them before I bought the car. They have grown on me since owning it.

Thank you yes, I will check the brakes in about 1000 miles and add a follow up. Just an FYI, wheel bearings were changed at 78,000 miles too.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
New brakes are always a good thing, when driving among the masses. An upgrade to OEM set up looks like it? Local shop or did you DIY? Is this the first brake job to your car? Nothing from the previous owner/history of brake replacement before you bought it?

Current mileage on the odo? New fluid during this replacement too? Brake lines still factory rubber lines? Hub bolts torqued?

I only ask here because mine is about to go in for this same job in 90 days. Pretty much everything here that needs replacement. On my To Do list...
I have my budget for this factory replacement, and a pre-inspection done recently by the local dealership of the worse case, we will have to order the parts in.

10 years with 42k on the odo, bout time for a full over haul of mine. Most important system every day real world part of the car imo. Key starts it. Very important part. Steering wheel, yeah that part helps Big time, pretty important part for the point A to point B theory. Gas pedal makes it go fast.. err faster where/when I want too. Another important part to this car/travel/freedom puzzle.

However.. when going somewhere, anywhere.. you do have to stop on occasion, so I've heard. With the masses of
today's distracted drivers, new brakes and stopping power confidence restored when using the key, steering wheel, gas pedal approach to movement and sometimes... stoppage among the masses is money well spent. IT might just save your life one day. IT might hurt your wallet or credit card "now"..but you will thank yourself with this improvement/upgrade to your ride, when your "not" checking into the emergency room later...

Brakes replacement bill.. Oh my $$$. Emergency room visit bill.. $$$ Oh my and then some... if you make it?

Calipers look good. You paint the hubs too? Mine needs that done too, showing some wear/tear after 42K. Birds, little tiny ones sit on the back of my calipers during rain storms. Cleaning solution, brush, rinse, repeat as necessary. Times 4 wheels/rims adds up the beer meter cleaning prospects. I would like to eliminate the cleaning part, but keep the beer part.

I would re-check these new parts again after 1K miles or so, just to make sure everything you just replaced is wearing evenly now, before you put any serious miles on it later. Quick check of your brakes, new or old here "before" you travel any distance is always a good practice we sometimes, most of the times, almost never do when applying the key to the ignition, turning the wheel, right foot application process. When your foot goes to the other pedal, yeah that one... as you stop your car, you can feel the expenses you paid for this brake replacement Oh Snap panic stop there goes $50 bucks well spent... bleed off the rotors and brake pads as you stop hopefully in the nick of time? That is better than the alternative of bleeding and expenses in the emergency room.

LAC

Drew
post #3707 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxu View Post
Finally got around to replacing the lights behind the AC controller. 2 of them burned out while PO had the car. Decided to replace all 3 with white LED and remove the amber filter.
Good job.

Any issues getting behind there?

Any advice for accessing head unit replacement?
post #3708 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Busy day today. I finally installed my Trifecta box tune last week. Stock used to creep to 17psi max spiking 18. Now it flies to 22psi and holds. LOVED it until she threw a Service ESC CEL. I scanned her and found a p0300 - stored engine misfire detected and a p0301 - cylinder 1 misfire detected. I contacted Micheal at Trifecta and he suggested new plugs which I installed today. I found old 41-102s (why?) gapped at .035 in her and replaced them with fresh 41-108s gapped at .030 as he suggested. I took off the valve cover sound deadener, started her up and let her idle after clearing the codes but I did not drive her. Instead, I finally stopped PROcrastinating and installed all of the LED bulbs I had sitting in the trunk since May 2018 along with the chrome coated turn signals. I also installed some new wiper blades (Autozone Duralast). Going to wait until I change the oil and filter next week before I lay into her. Enough for now.
post #3709 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I drove it 70 miles.
First time out in two weeks.
Last time out, the wifey and I went to the NC coast. (1000 mi round trip)

The Sky is the limit.
post #3710 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Installed parking light led switch backs.

Thanks to Mike Martin and his video, very helpful. https://youtu.be/4Dbm4FhxCuc

Instead of leaving the headlights in I removed them so I could wet sand the lenses and polish them.

They actually came out pretty good but I had bought some tint to cover them. Just in case they didnít, I figured I use it and see if I like it. So I may remove the tint, havenít decided yet. Not sure if I like the look or not.

Also spliced the resistor wires into the wiring and soldered them instead of using the supplied parts to attach them. Iím not a big fan of those plastic splicers.

There was also a forum member that mentioned using stainless steel straps to attach the resistors to a support. I bought them at harbor freight as also recommended.

light on the right is after wet sanding and polish.

Drivers side flasher flashing, I didnít have time to upload video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew
post #3711 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
I do love my switchbacks. Looks good.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3712 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
It was the plugs. Gawd, what a difference. Oil changed too on 1/25.
post #3713 of 3789 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Garage
Think I may drive mine this afternoon. Supposed to rain the next 5 days, so no weekend playing.
ddx77 likes this.
post #3714 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Think I may drive mine this afternoon. Supposed to rain the next 5 days, so no weekend playing.
I got in a full week of driving before this rain started. Almost drove today... but decided against it. Glad I did... sprinkled on the way to work Took the truck.

By chance, do you happen to know if changing the stock mufflers will give a discernable deeper rumble without the entire pipe change? I like the look of the stock dual exhaust and how those rectangle black tips fill in the cutouts.

Also, research failed on light options for the side "gills". Got a link once, but it was a dead end.
post #3715 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
I believe you can just order the later 2000 era Mustang muffler from Magnaflow. Robotech can give you the specific number I think.
post #3716 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If you want the dual outlets, the RL dual outlet muffler will give a deeper exhaust note. You can just change the muffler if you want to, but changing the whole pipe is quite easy.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3717 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I believe you can just order the later 2000 era Mustang muffler from Magnaflow. Robotech can give you the specific number I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
If you want the dual outlets, the RL dual outlet muffler will give a deeper exhaust note. You can just change the muffler if you want to, but changing the whole pipe is quite easy.
Already having the red line trim, I do have a nice tone. I'm just wondering if the magna flow will make it appreciably deeper and louder.

Thank you so much for your input and insight.
post #3718 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
Yes the Magnaflow will make a little lower rumble to it, but not as much as when it is on the NA. I almost didn't buy it because Robo's was so loud. I am glad that I did. Mine does have the high flow cat with it and it sounds good, according to others. It no longer sounds stock that is for sure, but as I mentioned, just changing the Muffler will do the same, and alot cheaper I am sure.
post #3719 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Anyone know the magnaflow muffler part # for the RL?

2009 Saturn Sky Red Line SE Ruby Red 5M
Trifecta tune
Windrestrictor
DDM short shifter
DDM brace bundle
Solo Performance Quad Tips
Lil' Chromies
Full LED lights
LED footwell lights
Trunk Gas Strut Mod
Kappa Rack
JPM Leather Console
post #3720 of 3789 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
PM @Robotech, he has it or can get it I think.

They sell the complete system, but do not sell a muffler for the Sky, but supposedly it is exactly the same as the Mustang one. I bought the whole system about 5 years ago, do can't answer your question, sorry.

Last edited by skersfan; 02-04-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in