What is stock ground clearance of Sky? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Huff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
What is stock ground clearance of Sky?

Looking thru forums it seems my Sky is much lower than most. I am the 2nd owner and the original owner stated he never did any modifications to it.

Measuring the front bumper at the center point I'm seeing about 5". From the bottom of the black plastic air dam I have 2 1/2". This seems at least 1" lower than what I've read. I have stock rims and stock 245/45R18 tires.

I hear about people lowering theirs. If mine is stock height then how the heck do you lower it much more than it already is? I can not clear the front nose over speed bumps. Scrapes every time going in and out of my rounded curb driveway.

2007 Silver/Red Sky Redline
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Looking thru forums it seems my Sky is much lower than most. I am the 2nd owner and the original owner stated he never did any modifications to it.

Measuring the front bumper at the center point I'm seeing about 5". From the bottom of the black plastic air dam I have 2 1/2". This seems at least 1" lower than what I've read. I have stock rims and stock 245/45R18 tires.

I hear about people lowering theirs. If mine is stock height then how the heck do you lower it much more than it already is? I can not clear the front nose over speed bumps. Scrapes every time going in and out of my rounded curb driveway.

The stock ground clearance is 3.6"

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console Cover
Enjoying Another Cancer Free Day
https://bethematch.org/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post
The stock ground clearance is 3.6"
On other old forums I've read that same figure being the CAT. But on mine the air dam clearance is much lower than 3.6". Wondering if mine is lower than standard or they weren't counting the air dam for some reason?

Edit:
Just found on an old thread from 2013 these figures.

2 3/8 inches to the bottom of the radiator air dam,
2 3/8 inches to the bottom of the front GM flaps behind the front wheel,
4 3/8 inches to the bottom of the leading edge of the front fender.

This is close to what I measured for my 2007. I'm seeing that 2008/9's were changed to a bit higher. Guess I got one of the lower ones! Still wonder how people lower these things any more than they are!

Last edited by Huff; 05-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah. My air dam scrapes when I go in or out of my driveway. No way would I lower it.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I haven't had an air dam scrape as far as I know, but the bottom of the bumper cover scrapes on a lot of driveways unless I approach them at a pretty good angle. No lowering for me, either.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
No major scrapes here except front bumper on curbs when pulling into parking spots.

The rubber air dam below the car that directs air up into the radiator scrapes on everything just about...but it's kind of designed with hitting stuff in mind when you look at it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
No major scrapes here except front bumper on curbs when pulling into parking spots.

The rubber air dam below the car that directs air up into the radiator scrapes on everything just about...but it's kind of designed with hitting stuff in mind when you look at it.
Maybe mounting a set of curb feelers will help
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I scraped the underside of the passenger side front fender on a parking lot curb. Tore up the black piece that fills in the underside of the front fender corner. Anyone have a diagram that shows this piece and what part # it is? Appears to be a separate piece from the air dam. Probably discontinued with my luck!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I scraped the underside of the passenger side front fender on a parking lot curb. Tore up the black piece that fills in the underside of the front fender corner. Anyone have a diagram that shows this piece and what part # it is? Appears to be a separate piece from the air dam. Probably discontinued with my luck!
Need a picture to be sure, but I believe that is part of your fender liner. That piece was broken off on both side on my mine.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Need a picture to be sure, but I believe that is part of your fender liner. That piece was broken off on both side on my mine.
Agree. I have two new liners in my garage..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Yep, just checked. It is the liner. On mine it happened to break in a straight line right at the 90 degree bend at the corner. Thought it was a separate piece. I had put new liners on 2 years ago. Guess I gotta get another one.
Amorget likes this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yep, just checked. It is the liner. On mine it happened to break in a straight line right at the 90 degree bend at the corner. Thought it was a separate piece. I had put new liners on 2 years ago. Guess I gotta get another one.
If you decide to replace the broken one, keep in mind that there are a couple of types out there, the OE and the aftermarket. I initially bought an aftermarket liner which was cheaper and found it was very thin, so thin when it arrived it was in a box rolled up but it will probably still do the job. The OE, which I have two of, came in a much larger box and almost impossible to roll up. I still have the non-OE if you'd like it. PM me, pay shipping and it's yours.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
This is a common problem we all have with our Kappa's. Stock ground clearance issues. When the front nose/bumper scraps the sound is painful to our ears, heartbreaking to our souls, evident to our eyes and... most times expensive to our checkbooks.
Comes with the territory of owning the Kappa.

When I purchased mine, the first owner had already scraped the front nose/bumper pretty good. After reading many horror stories from owners here on the forums, I knew I had to be careful when going over speed bumps, driveway inclines, etc.
I have scraped mine at least 3 times now. The air dam, that's a given, but it's bendable. The front mud flaps if installed, will scrap on occasion. The nose/bumper can be scraped up, and if repaired can be costly.

The front quarter panels on our cars, plus maybe under the rocker panel below the doors is another area of big concern here. When this area gets torn up, this is an expensive fix, time consuming, and full well knowledge that it could happen again no matter how careful you are.

The front wheel liners are pretty cheap to replace. I have an aftermarket one on my drivers side. About $48. more or less. My passenger side is getting bad, couple of cracks at the attachment points to the OEM one. I live with it for now, but it can be replaced by you the owner in an hour more or less. Simple hand tools and some patience with little $$ as possible to put your Kappa back up to your standards. There are other parts under the front nose/bumper, plastic cover below the IC, 2 side plastic pieces that fit in the very front corner of our cars, below the side marker lights. I have no idea the part number or prices for these parts.

IF... you are scraping the front under carriage of your Kappa on a regular basis, then a height check might just be in order here? IF.. you are the 2nd owner and having no clue to what or if the 1st owner has done anything to the stock height levels to the Kappa, you might wanna check this out, next time your in for a 4 wheel balance/tire rotation, under carriage steering rack/suspension inspection, just to see if anything is being scraped up? Not sure if there is a factory adjustment to the car height level that could be done at the dealers if this problem occurs on a regular basis?

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in