Who here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Do you have side view pics?
Sorry, just read your request today.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-06-2018 at 06:22 PM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Looks great!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
It definitely looks good!

Actually what I'm planning on doing is keeping it on forever. I'll probably take the convertible top off.

After I have it for a while I'm going to take it to a creative body shop I know and have them cut it into three sections. The back section will have the buttresses and the plexiglass the middle section will have a metal reinforcement put in and the front section will be able to be taken out like a targa top. Weather stripping will be put in between the sections then it will also give me access to the trunk.

I'm surprised no one else has thought to do that yet.
Smoothline did think about a two piece hardtop, possibly even made a working prototype. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ototype-47910/

People were complaining that you couldn't access the trunk unless you removed the hardtop, so they designed it so that the rear buttress section would lift up with the rear bonnet. I believe they abandoned the idea because it didn't generate enough interest to put it into production.

As far as a targa top, I'd suggest you look at the Solstice targa coupe for inspiration. In fact I'd have to wonder if a targa soft top could be made to work on a Smoothline hardtop.

Also, someone did make a one off targa hardtop that you could disasseble and store in the rear.
44thSKY likes this.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
All kidding aside, if it were me, I would try to view the interior of a Smoothline top versus how a Solstice Coupe compares in the area of a fitted out interior. I believe I have heard ChopTop mention his top isn't water tight, and that makes me wonder about sound???

Admittedly, I haven't seen a Smoothline top to see how the interior is finished. But, my Sols Coupe is very well done and an obvious primary focus of the entire car. From point A to point B in comparing the Smoothline approach versus the Sols Coupe, I sense the getting there could be world's apart in time spent and money spent. Not saying you would chose the Sols Coupe route at all, but going in you would know and could better assess your options. IMHO.

The Smoothline does look great. It is just that I would consider all aspects. Good luck in whichever way you decide. Keep us posted please.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Smoothline did think about a two piece hardtop, possibly even made a working prototype. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ototype-47910/

People were complaining that you couldn't access the trunk unless you removed the hardtop, so they designed it so that the rear buttress section would lift up with the rear bonnet. I believe they abandoned the idea because it didn't generate enough interest to put it into production.

As far as a targa top, I'd suggest you look at the Solstice targa coupe for inspiration. In fact I'd have to wonder if a targa soft top could be made to work on a Smoothline hardtop.

Also, someone did make a one off targa hardtop that you could disasseble and store in the rear.
Do you have any pics of the targa you are talking about on the car?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post

Hey Choptop! I'm just wondering if you have any information on the guy that did the one off targa? Like forum number something like that so I can check it out?

Thanks!
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Hey Choptop! I'm just wondering if you have any information on the guy that did the one off targa? Like forum number something like that so I can check it out?

Thanks!
Unfortunately I do not have any other info, plus the guy who built it ended up trying to sell it on ebay, not sure if it ever sold.

Looks like the forum members name who engineered it is Pursuit (do a forum name search for his posts on Solsticeforum).
https://www.solsticeforum.com/photop...php?photo=3993
https://www.solsticeforum.com/photop...php?photo=3978
https://www.solsticeforum.com/photop...php?photo=3977

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ed-ebay-95457/
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...oft-top-74357/
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good Afternoon,

Has anyone put a 4 stage turbo on a sky redline? Is it worth the money?

Tks,Doug
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryyankee View Post
Good Afternoon,

Has anyone put a 4 stage turbo on a sky redline? Is it worth the money?

Tks,Doug
4 stage turbo?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
4 stage turbo?
Huh?

Did you accidentally quote a post from another thread in this one?
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Huh?

Did you accidentally quote a post from another thread in this one?
No, just one I have approved 4 times now that you couldn't see.

I hope now you can.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
No, just one I have approved 4 times now that you couldn't see.

I hope now you can.
LOL....Now I wish I couldn't.... Why post a question in a convertible hardtop thread about a turbo...lol...
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

So....after completing a threatening phone call with "Jack" the A-hole that does the customer service with Smoothline and telling him if I don't get a definitive date for delivery soon I'm not paying the remaining $1100 and will call my credit card company and dispute the original $1100 payment I made in July....He finally agreed that it "should" be done next week and I "should" have my top a week after or so. I don't know how this company is still in business to be honest! They are so friggen shady! The website says 8 weeks from order then simple Jack says, "duh....I dunno maybe 12 weeks." Then it was 4 weeks after that then I don't know etc etc.....

Anyway, if he isn't lying (he probably is) I should have my carbon fibre top in the next two weeks. Also, here is a picture of a s1 Lotus Elise....It highlights what I'm planning to do with the top. So the side view shows the targa off. You have the buttress then a "middle" section then the top would go between the windshield glass and the "middle" section. The back view shows the look of the butresses with the middle section and the glass under that. Anyway....that's just a helpful way for me to visualize what I would like to do with it. It would also give me access to the trunk then (while looking awesome with the top off!).
Who here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop?-lotus1.jpgWho here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop?-lotus2.jpg
44thSKY likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to post an update. First, I should never have said that Jack was dumb, and I feel bad about that. After meeting him...He sounds the way he does because he is just a really old guy (nothing against that btw). He is also a really nice guy. I was going to wait to post this until I got the weather stripping on the top and could take really good pictures, but I'd rather make sure that I provide follow-up to my emails to make sure I'm negatively affecting anyone's desire to order.

So....First....It did (in my mind) take way longer than it should have (5 months) to get my top, but I did get it. The shippers were having issues because of the weather on the east coast so I drove directly to Pittsburgh (horrible drive in a saturn sky) 3 hours there and 3 hours back to get my top. Jack helped my wife an I put it on. It doesn't have the weather stripping on because I don't have a garage and can't get the temps up to 70 degrees for them to adhere. The weatherstripping should be on by Thursday though. Couple of things before I post pics.....

Jack is a super nice OLD dude who loves talking about cars which is awesome. I say the part about old because you don't know he is old on the phone, which is why I originally thought he was dense (obviously that is not the case). The other thing I wanted to point out...They have an issue explaining things. Yes they SELL the most hardtops in the world (which would make you believe it was a 20 man operation or something) but they only have like 4 people! If I would have known that I wouldn't have been so hard on them, but due to them saying they were the largest hardtop seller in the world you mistakenly think they are a pretty big operation (which they aren't). I suggested to Jack (who did acknowledge) that maybe they should change the 8 week date for completion since they probably won't make that anyway, and it would help alleviate some of the angst they get. Long story short, for having four people they put out a really good product in a relatively short people of time (I say that now knowing the actual size of the company).

I also really like the quality of my top, and think they did a good job! I'll have better pics later (these are cell phone pics) but wanted to show the look of the carbon fibre to people also...keep in mind my car never looks this bad but the damn turnpike was throwing salt everywhere....:

Once the weather stripping is on and I can clean the car I'll start another thread with better pictures of the car. But here is my car with the hardtop on. I love it btw:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Top1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	103679   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Top 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	103681   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Top 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	103683   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Top 4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	103685  
Robotech likes this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Got the weather stripping on. On the driver's side it is perfectly flush...On the passenger's side there is a slight gap in the front of the window where the weatherstripping support ends on the top. I'm going to fix that by using 3m double sided body kit tape to hold it tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	103707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car2.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	103709  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in