Who here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:52 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
It looks nice with the rest of your mods!

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
It looks nice with the rest of your mods!

Thank you!!!

Also...

Chop Top....

Could you please take a couple of close up pictures of your top on the driver's side where the top's weatherstripping goes into your car's window weatherstripping? My garage screwed up the install and I'm forced to do it myself, but am having issues figuring out how hard I need to compress it in to get a seal.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

I'll Pm you on here and on the Solstice site. I'm in bad need of help.....
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Post 33 of 33 seems to be lost and missing. Maybe this bump will correct things. LOL

Nope, just continued it's tummy ache!
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Post 33 of 33 seems to be lost and missing. Maybe this bump will correct things. LOL

Nope, just continued it's tummy ache!
That's my fault. I accidently posted the same message twice....

I'm in crisis mode right now trying to get this damned top to be leak free....Don't think I'm asking for much with a $2200 item. The side weatherstripping isn't bad until it gets to the very front where there is literally 4 inches of weatherstripping with nothing to support it..... It's killing me!!!

Edited to add two pics for an ideal i'm looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinged buttress.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	104035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long hinge.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	104037  

Last edited by MattM; 01-23-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

For anyone who needs/wants to update your weatherstripping for your sky or solstice smoothline hardtop....DO NOT try to buy the expensive weatherstripping from Smoothline again. It's too expensive and takes way too much time to get. I found a website that sells the same one inch tall and once inch wide weatherstripping (called Trimlok). Smoothline charges $150 for both windows and it takes forever to get it.

Here is where you can get it for like $60 bucks (and way more than two windows 25ft of it)

https://www.zoro.com/trim-lok-inc-ru...25/i/G4163446/

I did buy this and it is exactly the same stuff.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

So...I haven't been able to drive my car forever because of the leaking I keep getting. With that I started looking at difference approaches and landed on trying to create a "drip guard" for the top. I came across carbon fiber fender flares that perfectly match the color and surface of the top and decided to put them on. For myself I actually like how they look (correctly because of the need I have they look ok to fix that need, and I don't think they take away from the aesthetic of the car). We haven't had rain yet either but I'm hopeful they will at least greatly reduce the leaking I get.

P.S. I know I didn't get them perfectly straight.lol... I'll update if if/when they work:

Here are two pics of the "drip guards" I did. Tell me if you like them or not:

Who here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop?-dry-drip-guard1.jpg
Who here still has the Smoothline Club Racer HardTop?-dry-drip-guard2.jpg
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
In the photos they look fine to me, but we do acknowledge how sometimes photos don't tell the real story. My sense is the fix is pretty good.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
In the photos they look fine to me, but we do acknowledge how sometimes photos don't tell the real story. My sense is the fix is pretty good.
Thank you!

Yeah, I would rather have not had them on there at all, but I'm happy they completely match the surface of the carbon fiber and color, and they don't stick out/take away from the over all look (too much anyway).
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

So an update on the leaking issue.....

Friday it rained from around noon through the night (we got about two inches). I waited until about 6pm on friday to check for any leaks and opened the driver side door to find that all was dry. Now upon opening the some water drips in. I shut the door and went in for the night.

I went out on Saturday morning and found about an 1/8th of that "tray" below the door had water in it. When say an 1/8th....so the car sits in my driveway which is uphill. So the water would tend to pool toward the back of that tray. Well pooling toward the back of the tray the water didn't if come up to halfway to the top of the tray. That creates questions for me.

First the positive, even if it's still leaking a little bit it is way less that it did before (meaning that tray would have been full before).

Now the questions it caused.... so I know that between noon and 6pm (when I didn't touch the doors at all) it was completely dry. Then I open the door and some water leaks in. Now, the reason I had some water in that tray on Saturday morning might only be because I didn't shut the door right (correctly insuring the window sealed) after I checked it at 6pm on Friday (which might have caused a small leak) or that water could just be what leaked in when I opened the door to check it as well. Either way, I think I'm pretty close to fully stopping the leaking (at least on the Driver's side). *Knocks on wood to not jinx it.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Matt, have you tried adjusting your windows? Other than throwing a cover on it I'm not sure what you can do at this point.

How to adjust side windows.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-window-80153/

post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I haven't adjusted the windows. The rain guard does seem to be working to keep the water out. One negative is that you get a lot more wind noise, but I'm still ok with it as long as it doesn't leak...
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

So, it rained again last Friday and really hard yesterday into last night. I left the car alone completely. Came out this morning, and even with the heavy rain only had a little water in that door "tray." i'll definitely take that!

So far it seems to be working. One thing I'm worried about is the fact that even though I used heavy duty 3m double sided body kit tape (along the length of both the wide side and thin side of the l of the rain guard) it might start coming off when I'm driving at faster speeds. I'm hoping it won't, but I always expect the worst with my luck. If I have to I might get some very tiny headed screws and pop those on in strategic places to make sure it stays in place. Hope I don't have to though....

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in