Will I fit? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will I fit?

Hello group. I am considering buying a Sky. Seems to be lots of good low mile deals out there. Wondering how I would fit in one however. I am 6' 2" and 185 lbs. Anybody here about that size comfortable in one?
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hello, I'm almost 6.2" at 220lbs so you're skinny,lol. Fit fine though the windshield top header gets in the way of traffic lights, I can work around that for the good time of driving.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
If there are cars in your area go take one for a spin but make sure you put the drivers seat electric height adjustment right to the bottom.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi Bob, just wanted to say thankyooooo
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Garage
My son is 6'4" and 220. He fits in the drivers seat, but not so much in the passenger side. I would also say it is not his favorite thing to do. I know Robotech has not seen 185 for a few years, maybe decades, but he is about that tall and lives in/loves his car.
marlboromike and jgassor like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshenry View Post
Hello group. I am considering buying a Sky. Seems to be lots of good low mile deals out there. Wondering how I would fit in one however. I am 6' 2" and 185 lbs. Anybody here about that size comfortable in one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
If there are cars in your area go take one for a spin but make sure you put the drivers seat electric height adjustment right to the bottom.
@johnshenry Where are you located? There is probably someone nearby.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am 6'2", 220lbs and I fit fine in my '08 Sky Redline.

I learned to sit down in either seat w/my knees pointed out toward the door, then
swing my legs around.
Of course, I usually drive so the seat is hardly ever moved............

The Sky is the limit.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Your legs will be fine.

If you're a fitness buff and like to sit so your back is straight your head will touch the convertible top.

I'm 6'0" and 210 and there's plenty of room for me. Maybe once every 300 miles my head touches.

I'd like to see you get a Sky - because Sky's are awesome cars - but you'd probably be happier in a Camaro or an XK8.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I know Robotech has not seen 185 for a few years, maybe decades, but he is about that tall and lives in/loves his car.
Good friends forever...LOL
jgassor likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
@johnshenry Where are you located? There is probably someone nearby.
There are, a dealer 7 mi. from home has a Solstice. I will go out and try sitting in it, and driving...... Thanks...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. It is a low car but I fit easily without the roof. With the roof up it is a bit cramped - I had a convertible mustang that had much more room.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and 175 lbs, I fit in the Sky no problem. Get the car.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the data points all. So while I have you, what should I look for when buying? I am 57 years old, have been working on cars for 30+ years, have 3 antique vehicles and a full hobby/shop. So I am familiar with all basic auto mechanics.

Ideally I want a Red Line, but would take a GXP also. I like the styling of the Sky better. No base models for me. Amazed at how many '07-'09s I see on cars.com (I favor private sellers always), obviously babied cars, 20-30K miles for low to mid teens. So any advice on specific Sky (or Solstice) things to look for appreciated. I am expecting to have to travel to get one.

Thanks
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Realistically, there aren't a lot of options unless you buy a car that has been modified. If you do, caveat emptor, because you have no idea who did the work, how well it was done and, for performance mods, how badly they were used to abuse the car.

I have an NA and a RL, drive them both, and love them both. No way, no how, would I buy a Solstice as the (interior especially) styling just doesn't work for me. I actually don't like the Sky's excessive chrome and fake vents, but I have adapted to them, so neither is perfect.

Color, and auto vs manual are the main questions. With the Sky you will automatically get AC and the lined top, and with the RL you will get LSD and the trans-to-axle brace. After that it is mainly condition, keeping in mind that some body parts are nearly unobtainable, and others are merely difficult.

You should join Solsticeforum.com, if you haven't already.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Garage
It appears to me, that the Sky RL will always be worth more, and more expenive than the GXP. I have had a Solstice/Mallett, two Redlines and two NA's. I would take the Redline with automatic over all of the others without even a thought.

I am making a like new NA, to replace the wife's Volt at end of lease. I am in real problems there, as I know she isn't going to like the performance on the car. NA's just don't have the horsepower of a Volt, not even close, and the handling is not that much better if at all. The convertible top will be the strong selling point!

My opinion on the GXP and RL, like peas in a pod, but the Solstice seems to draw a younger crowd that may be a little harder on their cars than all of the Geezers that bought Sky's. Maybe a little less maintenance than the Sky group. I only say that because of our Roadster club. Younger group, mostly Solstice. Us that have age superiority seem to have Sky's.

Check the fenders on the car. That is the easiest place to start. If they look like fenders, you have a good start, now run your hands along the bottom. If there is something there, you have fenders. A lot don't as it is something I check everytime I look at a Sky.

I look at the rear deck, if the corners set above the rest of the body, the trunk has been caught by the wind and may leak water. This is a flaw that really cannot be fixed. Last year at the National, I would gues 25-40 percent had this problem. Most never notice, but I pay attention to lines. If the car RL or GXP has over 40K on it, check to see if the water pump has been replaced. If not, you can almost certainly plan on doing it within the next two years. Mine hit 36K and almost instantly started having problems. The car is known for this problem. Other than that, I think the cars are pretty dependable as long as you leave them alone.

Unless you have a receipt for a new battery with less than 6 months, I would just go and buy a new high quality battery. Stops a lot of possible electrical activities. I won't say problems, but a new battery eliminates the chance for some very weird things happening.

And if you get one, you will always have this group to help you.

Good luck.
ddx77 likes this.

Last edited by skersfan; 01-20-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in