Wiring help from anyone that knows? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
OK. I was confused by your first post reference to using the fog lights to turn something off.

You should be able to find the detail about operating the footwell lights along with the interior lights as there have been several threads covering the process. Those lights are powered constantly through the ILC relay and the BCM provides the on-off-dim control on the ground. For manual control you will need a three position switch that will let you connect the footwell lights to the BCM circuit, the chassis ground, or nothing.

The underbody lights will do what you want if powered from the low beam headlight circuit. The low beams turn on when you unlock the car and when they aren't on the DRLs are. The DRL circuit supplies a lower voltage to the headlight, 10V I think, so you will have to test it to see if it is enough. The manual off switch could be in the ground wire or the supply wire. Putting it on the supply side will require two wires but would allow for manual on as well as off, while putting it on the ground side will require one wire but will only provide for manual off.
Thank you so much for the help!
So if im understanding correctly, I can just tie into the headlight to the underglow lights, and then run from that side to the switch on the power end, so I can turn it on and off, but not effect the headlights.
And tying into the ground of the BCM I can do, that's easy enough for the control inside the car. and I assume I can attach it to the same power source, separate in line fuse, that I have my heated seats powered from. the 1 blank fuse tap im aware of that powers off completely with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draike13 View Post
Thank you so much for the help!
So if im understanding correctly, I can just tie into the headlight to the underglow lights, and then run from that side to the switch on the power end, so I can turn it on and off, but not effect the headlights.
And tying into the ground of the BCM I can do, that's easy enough for the control inside the car. and I assume I can attach it to the same power source, separate in line fuse, that I have my heated seats powered from. the 1 blank fuse tap im aware of that powers off completely with the car.
Yes and no.

The underbody lights do tap into one of the low-beam headlights and ground to the chassis.

You do not want to use the BCM ground, you want to use the wire going into the BCM that grounds the footwell lights. It is the grey wire in connector X3, terminal A10.
Also, if you want the footwell lights to turn on when you unlock the car, you will have to use the same supply that the interior lights use, which is always on through the ILC relay. It is the dark blue & white wire in connector X3, terminal A3.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes and no.

The underbody lights do tap into one of the low-beam headlights and ground to the chassis.

You do not want to use the BCM ground, you want to use the wire going into the BCM that grounds the footwell lights. It is the grey wire in connector X3, terminal A10.
Also, if you want the footwell lights to turn on when you unlock the car, you will have to use the same supply that the interior lights use, which is always on through the ILC relay. It is the dark blue & white wire in connector X3, terminal A3.
You have provided TMI...the car will IMPLODE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Oh, I hope not. That is supposed to make it EXplode. Do you think I got it backwards?

John
Lexington, KY
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Oh, I hope not. That is supposed to make it EXplode. Do you think I got it backwards?
I think so...
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Explosions and Implosions aside, this is perfect! thank you so much!

Gives me a great place to start and see how it all goes. easy enough to find and trace those wires for easy installation.

Any chance you know if those interior wires from the BCM happen to pass over to the wire cluster above the clutch at the driver footrest? or so I just need to run a single pass around the car to the passenger floorboard?

That will be fine, just trying to simplify wire. lol
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Explosions and Implosions aside, this is perfect! thank you so much!

Gives me a great place to start and see how it all goes. easy enough to find and trace those wires for easy installation.

Any chance you know if those interior wires from the BCM happen to pass over to the wire cluster above the clutch at the driver footrest? or so I just need to run a single pass around the car to the passenger floorboard?

That will be fine, just trying to simplify wire. lol
Can I get an AMEN!
Draike13 likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yes and no.

So this worked great, except i didnt think about something you said right there in this post. Its always on.
The light doesnt go off with with car. lol

What ive come up with, idea wise, is to tie the power into the illumination of the gauge cluster, or AC control lights. Anything like that. Comes on when car is unlocked. goes out when car is off. And only on when its dark enough for auto lights to come one/when you turn the lights on.

Anyone know which wire this might be? or which fuse to tap?
i cant even find that. I looked at clusters, and those were not it.

currently i just have the lights grounded to my accessory power line. so the come on with the car accessory and go off with the car.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
So this worked great, except i didnt think about something you said right there in this post. Its always on.
The light doesnt go off with with car. lol

What ive come up with, idea wise, is to tie the power into the illumination of the gauge cluster, or AC control lights. Anything like that. Comes on when car is unlocked. goes out when car is off. And only on when its dark enough for auto lights to come one/when you turn the lights on.

Anyone know which wire this might be? or which fuse to tap?
i cant even find that. I looked at clusters, and those were not it.

currently i just have the lights grounded to my accessory power line. so the come on with the car accessory and go off with the car.
Are you controlling them with the grey wire?

John
Lexington, KY
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There are 4 grey wires on the back of that terminal on the BCM. I'm not 100% which one. I put the supply line connected to the blue/white wire, and the ground on the grey directly next to that one.

Did I misunderstand?
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:22 PM

I apologize for assuming that you know more than you do about the connectors. I also thought that if you looked at one of the footwell light threads you would have seen a diagram of the connector.

The pins are identified by position with letters in the short direction and numbers in the long. The blue/white wire (A3) is the third down in the first row. The correct grey wire (A10) would be the tenth wire in that same row.

John
Lexington, KY
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:47 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
I apologize for assuming that you know more than you do about the connectors. I also thought that if you looked at one of the footwell light threads you would have seen a diagram of the connector.

The pins are identified by position with letters in the short direction and numbers in the long. The blue/white wire (A3) is the third down in the first row. The correct grey wire (A10) would be the tenth wire in that same row.
It's TOO LATE! The car imploded.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome! That makes so much more sense. I figured there should be something, but I'll be honest, I'm a very big guy, and it's a very tight spot. And it was alresdy getting rather dark when I was trying to do this. Lol
If there are letters and numbers for the grid, I most definitely could not read them lol
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 PM

I don't know if they are actually labeled, you may just have to look at wire colors and positions.

John
Lexington, KY
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Great post by @Sly Bob over on Kappaperformance, showing exactly where the wires are. NOTE: you may need to be a logged-in member (free) to view the pics.

How To: install footwell lighting

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in