Differential Leak vs Break In Method - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SkyRoadster Polls Polls related to the Saturn SKY as well as site polls. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

View Poll Results: Differential Leak vs. Break In Method
Regular Diff w/ Leak - Break in per Manual - Auto Trans 3 1.86%
Regular Diff w/ Leak - Break in per Manual - 5 Spd 1 0.62%
Regular Diff NO Leak - Break in per Manual - Auto Trans 4 2.48%
Regular Diff NO Leak - Break in per Manual - 5 Spd 13 8.07%
Reg Diff w/ Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - Auto Trans 1 0.62%
Reg Diff w/ Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd 0 0%
Reg Diff NO Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - Auto Trans 2 1.24%
Reg Diff NO Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd 4 2.48%
LSD Diff w/ Leak - Break in per Manual - Auto Trans 13 8.07%
LSD Diff w/ Leak - Break in per Manual - 5 Spd 28 17.39%
LSD Diff NO Leak - Break in per Manual - Auto Trans 15 9.32%
LSD Diff NO Leak - Break in per Manual - 5 Spd 37 22.98%
LSD Diff w/ Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - Auto Trans 3 1.86%
LSD Diff w/ Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd 8 4.97%
LSD Diff No Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - Auto Trans 12 7.45%
LSD Diff NO Leak - Break in Hard/Normal - 5 Spd 17 10.56%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Antonio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoking View Post
I did not vote because I have a Sol. But I will let you know that I knew nothing about the break in for the differential when I got mine and drove it hard right from the start. Ended up with the "whine". they changed it out for the new one and I tried to follow the guide lines with the new one and it ended up with the "leak". Go figure! By the way it is an LSD.
Sol owners feel free to vote if you'd like. The differentials are the same, so it'll still help us to understand where the problem might be coming from.

What you said Devoking still goes along with what our early votes prove. LSD break in by the manual has produced all of the voted leaks.

Driving hard, although you got a whine, provided no leak.

HAD - '07 Redline -292 whp & 327 wtq - SOLD :(
HAVE - '02 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Fully built top end w/ bolt ons - 500+whp ALL MOTOR :)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=talkaboutblue
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 PM

The first thing I will do once I drive my Redline home from the dealer will be to put fresh fluids everywhere.

I will do it again at 500 miles and then at 1500 miles. At 3,000 miles I will switch to my favorite synthetic oils and fluids. I have done this with all my new vehicles and have yet to have a problem with any component of their systems.

My break-in method --- well, I have been accused of suspiciously looking like I stole each of my cars.

Redline
Order Number KFGB54
Black Leather
Black Top
Polished Alloys
XM radio
Manual Tranny
3" Magnaflow
and other secrets.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
Sol owners feel free to vote if you'd like. The differentials are the same, so it'll still help us to understand where the problem might be coming from.

What you said Devoking still goes along with what our early votes prove. LSD break in by the manual has produced all of the voted leaks.

Driving hard, although you got a whine, provided no leak.
Now I don't know how to vote since I have had two different rearends.

For further info though I will say that I put 6,000 mi. on the first one.
Then had about 3,000 mi. on the second one when it started to leak and it was the pinion seal not axle seals that leaked.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Now I don't know how to vote since I have had two different rearends.

For further info though I will say that I put 6,000 mi. on the first one.
Then had about 3,000 mi. on the second one when it started to leak and it was the pinion seal not axle seals that leaked.
LSD, 5 sp, 5k, just noticed a few spots in the garage

Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I did not vote because I have a Sol. But I will let you know that I knew nothing about the break in for the differential when I got mine and drove it hard right from the start. Ended up with the "whine". they changed it out for the new one and I tried to follow the guide lines with the new one and it ended up with the "leak". Go figure! By the way it is an LSD.
We would really like the SOL owners to participate in this poll, to me it will probably give a better feel & handle on what is what--Hmm I wonder if I or a SOL owner (preferrably) should let the SOL owners know of this poll here--Granted they would have to register, but just for this poll to us all it would be worth it-- It is tho shaking out early one my suspicion that it IS the LSD giving problems--To early really to tell, we need more participation here, come on guys, don't just read VOTE!!

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 10-30-2006 at 04:30 PM.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Antonio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
We would really like the SOL owners to participate in this poll, to me it will probably give a better feel & handle on what is what--Hmm I wonder if I or a SOL owner (preferrably) should let the SOL owners know of this poll here--Granted they would have to register, but just for this poll to us all it would be worth it-- It is tho shaking out early one my suspicion that it IS the LSD giving problems--To early really to tell, we need more participation here, come on guys, don't just read VOTE!!
I think that'd be a good idea. A large number of them have registered with this site anyhow. So the more the merrier. Go for it Midnite Blue

HAD - '07 Redline -292 whp & 327 wtq - SOLD :(
HAVE - '02 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Fully built top end w/ bolt ons - 500+whp ALL MOTOR :)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=talkaboutblue
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I have a auto with LSD. No leak at the rear, but noticed some drops around the transmission area. Took it in, but my now ex-dealership could not find any leaks. Although it is not much, I clearly have drops of reddish type fluid on my garage floor. Will take to another dealership who knows a thing or two about Skys!

9/30/06 - Delivery of Midnight Blue/Tan Sky!
LSD
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
6 Disk CD w/Monsoon & XM
CAI forthcoming...
By choice and by providence, life changes...
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
I think that'd be a good idea. A large number of them have registered with this site anyhow. So the more the merrier. Go for it Midnite Blue
DONE!! antonio--I started a thread over there with an invitation
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24111

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 10-30-2006 at 04:58 PM.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidSummerNightsDream View Post
I have a auto with LSD. No leak at the rear, but noticed some drops around the transmission area. Took it in, but my now ex-dealership could not find any leaks. Although it is not much, I clearly have drops of reddish type fluid on my garage floor. Will take to another dealership who knows a thing or two about Skys!
I would absolutely!1 Have you checked the tranny fluid yet?

post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Since you asked us to participate, I just voted. Thanks for asking us Sol owners to join in.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolWhat? View Post
Since you asked us to participate, I just voted. Thanks for asking us Sol owners to join in.
You betcha!! and thanks for posting, BTW the particulars, let us know how you broke her in and any problems? Inquiring minds wanna know?

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
You betcha!! and thanks for posting, BTW the particulars, let us know how you broke her in and any problems? Inquiring minds wanna know?
Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, broken-in by the book. First leak at about 2000 miles, three trips to the dealers for leaks from the relief valve. 4th trip they replaced the relief valve with a newer style. 1200 miles later, it was leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals and the relief valve. Differential replaced on the 5th trip to the dealer. Now 5000 miles without a leak of any sort. Total mileage is about 13,000.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolWhat? View Post
Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, broken-in by the book. First leak at about 2000 miles, three trips to the dealers for leaks from the relief valve. 4th trip they replaced the relief valve with a newer style. 1200 miles later, it was leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals and the relief valve. Differential replaced on the 5th trip to the dealer. Now 5000 miles without a leak of any sort. Total mileage is about 13,000.
EXCELLENT!! and thanks SolWhat, hopefully we can gather this type of info for those who have experienced a problem and together we can figure out what and help GM fix this once & for all, thanks

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 AM

I've got an NA Solstice, manual trans, LSD. Broke it in per the manual as best as I could. (I was also new to driving a manual, so there were a few instances where I unintentioally chirped the tires or popped the clutch.)

Eleven months into ownership, with 9500 miles so far, and knock on wood, no diff problems.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:12 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

2006 Solstice, 5 spd, LSD, by the book up to about 1k miles, driven hard since then, also a daily driver. First leak noted at about 16,000 miles, it was allegedly leaking from pinion seal, both axle seals, also shifter seal replaced. Vent NOT replaced. I now have 1500 miles + since the seals were done.

No abnormal clunking, no excessive whine. Note that when the seals were all replaced, the leak was MINIMAL-no puddles anywhere, fluid was noted on the exterior of the diff at a regular oil change, however it was also noted at that oil change that the fluid level in the diff was fine.

My suspicion is that the 'leak' that I had was the vent doing it's job, the only fluid on the diff that I noted between the oil change & the dealer actually looking at the car, was on the driver side, the passenger side was CLEAN.
Can't prove or disprove it now, however I am watching for more 'venting' activity... Another dealer who I talked to at a meet commented that 'perhaps' my dealer saw the opp for a bigger job, vs changing out just the vent for the newer one. And, he had no clue where I bought my Sol, so it wasn't as if he was trying to put a dig in against a particular dealer.

Vin 6384...73,828 miles..

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member/Membership Coordinator

2009 NASSM, I'll be in Colorado, will YOU???
2009: Kerrville..St. Pats..TATL I..NASSM09..PVGP..Door IV..Dells IV..Penguin IV

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SkyRoadster Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in