Message To Saturn - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SkyRoadster Polls Polls related to the Saturn SKY as well as site polls. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

View Poll Results: Should Saturn post Sky Order Number and Event Codes to the Web?
Yes, they should make this available to buyers on the web. 317 78.08%
No, they keep the current system and let the dealers handle it. 51 12.56%
No Opinion on this topic. 38 9.36%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
Lots of good replies to this thread, thanks guys

A few people have said those wanting to track their orders are in the minority, my reply would be that the number of people who track their orders from ups and fedx are probably also in the minority but providing the capability is about providing the best possible service to the customer.

As for the argument that it would not be in their best interest to publish this data, just make it so the user gets a password to match their order number and they can just log in and see their status code. That would make the overall performance data invisible, but I might also note overall performance data on the sales and the factory is probably only a few google clicks away for someone who really wants it.

And having a tracking system in place would not just benefit the customer, since it would force the dealers to generate an actual sales order rather then just a slip of paper. And this would give GM and the factory actual demand information, and they could probably also direct cars to the areas with the oldest orders, and this would also improve customer satisfaction.

In alot of ways I can understand GM was not fully prepared or possibly expecting the demand these cars have generated, but everything I have ever heard about the Saturn buying experience prior to trying to buy my first Saturn is taking a big hit. I think the hardest hit is not coming from how GM and Saturn handled the initial sales demand, but from the fact that they have made no effort to improve the buying experience since then, the sales managers and saleman at the Saturn dealerships have not gotten any better at communicating then they were at the start.

Again thanks to everyone for throwing their opinion in.
When you put the whole 'scenario" the way you just did--- I just cannot help myself but to AGREE with EVERY word posted-- However, I just don't beleive GM OR any other manufacturer is gonna invest the "dollars" required--to install a "tracking" system for the public for something that is really "internal if you will"--I still support the idea tho--but as I stated previously--it just ain't gonna happen--especially on perhaps a "short term issue" the inability to meet demand--

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't believe that the cost to implement a system would be that great.

I also believe that the customer satisfaction improvement per dollar spent would probably also work out to be relatively in-expensive as compared to other expenditures to improve customer satisfaction.

The over riding reason I believe they should implement such a system or make some visible effort to improve the process though is because at this point in time the apperance to the general public is that GM and Saturn just do not care, and every day that goes by without any visible effort on GM and Saturns part to show they are at least trying to do something usefull, Saturn's hard earned reputation for customer satisfaction is degraded a little more.

Rusty

Bluestone Sky
Black Leather and Roof
Serial #11805 - Traded 8-2-2007

Midnight Blue RL
Black Leather and Roof
Serial #05941 - Picked Up 8-20-2007

What is the source of your user name:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8236
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
In alot of ways I can understand GM was not fully prepared or possibly expecting the demand these cars have generated....<snip>
Rusty,

I'll have to disagree with you on this little point..... every time GM redesigns the Corvette, the project is cloak and dagger, with chassis, powertrain and even engines all tucked under the "old" bodystyle and driven around the proving grounds in Milford Michigan.

The hype is so thick and it generates "waiting lists" at the big Chevrolet dealerships that have succeeded selling Corvettes. Their allocation is strictly based on previous sales. Believe me, even $1,000.00 would not hold your place in line a year in advance, well before the price is even known when a new Corvette is introduced. Remember, this is a car the has a member-funded museum across the street from the factory in Bowling Green that gives tours to the public. If your a 'Vette fanatic, you just have to make the trip and see for yourself. They even have a RPO (Regular Production Option) code for "Museum Delivery" so you don't have to wait for those silly car-carrier trucks...... but you still pay for the delivery charge on top of the addition Museum Delivery charge....

Corvette..... it's not just a car, it's a cult..... aahhhh, emmm.... make that it's a lifestyle....

Been there, done that, use the t-shirts as car-wash towels.....

HoldHard

'07 Sky RedLine
"Bear" as in "Strong as a..."
09/21/06-Deposit
12/22/06-Delivered

Polar White, Tan/Black, Spoiler, 6 Disc Monsoon, Chromes, Two Pedal, Fujita CAI and Hardpipes

Last edited by HoldHard; 12-14-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to Superman
I have to definitely say that I think it would be nice for the system to be accessible to the public. And, no, it wouldn't cost GM that much to set it up. I mean, they already have the system in place for dealers to get the information.

All they would have to do is set up a public website where you go in, punch in your 6-digit order number, and it spits out a list of numbers and dates. They could even go so far as to program it to give the descriptions for each event code. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy. And it would probably only cost GM a few thousand dollars to pay someone to set it up. Maybe a week's worth of work to put it together.

- Aaron
07 SKY RL (technically the wife's car)
Yellow
Manual
Spoiler
Picked up 1/8/07!
3800 Produced 12/18/06
3000 as of 11/9/06
Deposit in May '06
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:39 PM

Follow your build

My boss followed the production of his MINI.. Of course that is BMW?? Why can't anyone else do it??

I WANT MY R/L

Bluestone, Monsoon(1cd), spoiler, and hopefully 3" cat back
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 AM

I agree that a system is needed. My Saturn dealer in Indy has been great to deal with since 1991 but they sure didn't make any effort to supply me with any codes along the way. I'd call about once a month and all I could get was generic comments like the order has been accepted or it's being built. This was the case on the base as well as my Redline. I still think they are a great dealership but that is an area that needs addressed.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mike and I agree ... once again. What started out positive turned cool like Mike said, mainly the dealer's lack of communication. This forum, with its members, saved the day from me walking away mid-wait. Now that I owned this terrific car .. I tell everyone it was worth the wait. But the cost to set-up a consumer web tracking system is doable and the cost is something Mini/BMW felt was worth the investment in its customers.

"Lucifer" is my name!
Deposit:4-11-06 & Titled:11-28-06 SKY "Red Line" Silver Pearl, Black Wings on it's back, Bloody Red interior, Dejon intercooler/Solo Exhaust, Robert's screen.
If you suddenly feel warm, it is just me passing through grinning!
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM

I for one would like to have been able to track my RL on the internet. My dealer has not been forth coming with info. I have had to prod him (the Sales Mgr.). They have never contacted me on their own. I ordered my RL on 05/15 and when I stopped in mid december he said the he was getting 3 allocations and he hoped one of them was an RL. I asked him to keep me posted, but have not heard from them???? I don't want to be a pest, I am not impatient and can wait (for Spring) but it would be nice to be kept abreast. My dealing with Saturn does leave a less than favorable impression.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Mini Does it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Sure, but sadly it ain't gonna happen. No manufacturer currently provide this info on any vehicle currently produced that I know of over the net--It is a completely internal system on there part-But yea, great idea but--
Actually, my Mini Cooper S was completely trackable on their website. So that is not true. All they need to do is make a web interface for a database system they are already using. The car gets barcode scanned all through the process from what other people have said on this forum, for internal tracking.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Something is strange

I really think they want to keep us in the dark on how they distribute cars. It may not be a completely fair system. I see some people get their cars so fast and others are waiting months. They distribute to the states and then the dealers in those states on some kind of unusual cycle. I am really wondering were my Redline is lately, being that I ordered it the same time as my father, Nov 1, 2006. My dad got his Dec 9th. Is that because he ordered a less common color combo (White with blk/tan)? I ordered the Silver Pearl with Blk/Red interior. Both got ordered with the same options from the same dealer. He told me so far my Old mans car is the only Redline he got.
I dont get it. But he is getting me my order number on Monday and I am going to get to the bottom of this once and for all. If I have to drive down to Delaware and talk to someone in person.

Corvette Summer was my favorite Movie when I was a teen. I will go after it!
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Codes???

Sorry all, but I could care less what the code is!! I would much prefer that they spent the money building the cars. This has soured me on Saturn. Waiting 5 months for any car is rediculous. If it isn't here shortly I'm headed to the local Vette dealer.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
Sorry all, but I could care less what the code is!! I would much prefer that they spent the money building the cars. This has soured me on Saturn. Waiting 5 months for any car is rediculous. If it isn't here shortly I'm headed to the local Vette dealer.
How is waiting 5 months for a car ridiculous? Honestly, some of us waiting way longer than that. My wife and I's wait was almost 8 months from when we put our deposit down in May. But it was well over a year ago when we started getting the earliest rumors about the Redline model.

If you try to order any limited supply car, you'll have that problem. Mitsu Evo's can be like that when they first come out, as can new generations of Vettes, Vipers, and most other 'hot' roadsters/sports cars. The difference is that most of the cars had previous model years, so a lot of people who want one, might buy used instead of waiting in line for a new one. The SKY is so new, there isn't a pool of used vehicles for some buyers to go to, so everybody's gotta wait in line for the new ones.

Personally, I like the idea that this car is just as hot as some of those other cars that cost 2x as much or more.

I say, if you can afford the 'Vette, and the wait for the SKY bothers you the smallest bit, then you should probably buy the 'Vette, as I would guess you wouldn't be happy with the SKY in the long run anyways.

- Aaron
Yellow
Manual
Spoiler
Picked up 1/8/07!
3800 Produced 12/18/06
3000 as of 11/9/06
Deposit in May '06
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Saturn can not make some things public in order to protect the future owners.
However your sales consultant should assist you with the info you need.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

That's the whole point of this thread. MANY sales consultants either don't want to bothered with trying to keep their customers updated, or have no clue HOW to do it. Besides, it is the Manager at each dealer that is the only one to have access to the system to pull the codes. This becomes an annoying and tedious task for the Manager.

It would be SUPER easy for Saturn to set-up a website where you could put in your 6 digit order number, and it would kick out a list of codes and dates. Doesn't have to have any other information than that. There should be no privacy issues there at all.

- Aaron
Yellow
Manual
Spoiler
Picked up 1/8/07!
3800 Produced 12/18/06
3000 as of 11/9/06
Deposit in May '06
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
What do you expect on a limited production car?

I doubt Saturn would consider having a tracking system for the Sky. GM doesn't even have one for Vettes as far as I know.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SkyRoadster Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in