Poll: Will Sky Red Line early availability affect your decision ? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SkyRoadster Polls Polls related to the Saturn SKY as well as site polls. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

View Poll Results: Will Sky Red Line early availability affect your decision ?
I've already taken delivery of my new Sky, so it's a non-issue for me ! 102 24.00%
No, I'll still be very happy with a non-Red Line Sky. 160 37.65%
Yes, I'm canceling my Sky order and will instead purchase a Sky Red Line. 42 9.88%
It depends on how much more the Sky Red Line will cost: under $3,000 extra and I'm switching ! 30 7.06%
It depends on how much more the Sky Red Line will cost: under $5,000 extra and I'm switching ! 15 3.53%
It depends on how much more the Sky Red Line will cost: under $8,000 extra and I'm switching ! 5 1.18%
I haven't decided yet on what I'm going to do. 20 4.71%
Other (please post reply with explanation). 51 12.00%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cancelled my deposit on a GXP and placed one on the Sky Red Line today!! So yes, I guess you could say the early availability of the Red Line affected my decision!
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 08:20 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I really like my Sky and while I feel it has adequate power, but I put a deposit on a Redline today. Until they make the Redline, I'll have all summer to play.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
First 2000

I know I want a Sky, I have decided to put it off until next year, but I think I will probably get a redline.

I decided right now there are other large purchases that I need to save for over a car. Purchases like paying my taxes (damn taxman), bought a hot tub for parent's anniversary and a Carribean crusie for my parents for Christmas. Though Christmas is a ways I am saving to pay for it now.

"It's easy to pinpoint precisely when humans began racing each other in automobiles......It was the day the second automobile was built" -- Richard Petty
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to jacwag
Why

I can't see why they are even thinging about a redline when they can't fill the orders for the reg, Sky.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwag
I can't see why they are even thinging about a redline when they can't fill the orders for the reg, Sky.
Because they'll have the Solstice GXP at the same time going down the same plant lines. Why not offer the option while you have the ability to? Plus I haven't seen any official info, but I'm pretty sure Sky backorders aren't anywhere's near what Solstice ones were like, and the plant seems to be fairly up to speed on production unlike when Solstices started also.

Save the Kappa!
A grassroots movement to save the Kappa platform based cars.
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Pining for a Lightning Bolt

In 1976 I purchased a used 1970 Opel GT to replace "dad's car" which I had been driving. When it was hit by a drunk driver, I bought a crappy 1969 to tool around in while the first was being rebuilt. It eventually got whacked again, and that was that. The 1969 was mechanically unsound, and one day the moaning differential finally stopped screaming - but was visible in my rear view mirror as I coasted down the road...

I've had other sports cars since then, but I always loved those Opel GTs (and still do.) When I first saw photos of the Saturn Sky I fell in love with the lines, and immediately got on the waiting list (mine is due in any day.) I felt that the creased front fenders and rounded butt were very reminiscent of my Opel GTs (which I always wished were open roadsters and not fastbacks).

Anyway, a few weeks ago I saw the announcement that Opel was re-introducing the GT badge, and that the car would be virtually identical to the Saturn Sky (with the Red Line engine). The new Opel GT will be built in Wilmington, right alongside the Sky...

So, the poll was "did the Red Line make you think about changing your order?" MY response was "OTHER" because it's not the Red Line that I'd die for - it's another Opel GT. In fact, in a couple years I am planning to give this Sky to my daughter now serving in the US Army, and I will replace it with another car - either an Opel GT if I can get one legally licensed in the United States (regardless of cost, or close too it) or a Saturn Sky Red Line rebadged with the Opel GT badges and grille bar.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Other

I voted "OTHER" because I really wanted the redline from the beginning. I have been looking for a sports car to replace my MR2 Turbo since Nov. 2000. I have always wanted something with around the same power (atleast 200hp and 200lbsft torque). After a few years passed and small high horsepower cars dwindled, I began to compromise and look at cars like the Mazdaspeed Miata (not really a bad car, just not enough power). I then compromised again and said "well, if I can get a more manly looking roadster, that handles good, I will go without the power". So I decided to go with the base sky, because it was gorgeous and didn't look like a chick car (no offense ladies). About a week prior to putting my money down to be #1 on the list, I was talking to my wife about how the sky would be the perfect car for me if it had 200hp. Well I was scanning the net the same night and found the rumor about the redline (back in Aug of 05) with possibly 260hp! I made the decision right then and there to purchase the base if the redline did not come out, but that the RL was the perfect car for me. When it came time to order my base Sky, the RL was still a rumor, but the GXP had been announced, so I switched over to the RL list. Some may say that this was due to the RL announcement, but I can tell you, put both side by side and I would still choose the RL. If I had purchased the base and then the RL had been annouced, I would have been one very angry customer. I think "hurding" customers into a base version is the wrong approach. I am glad that Saturn did not do this. By doing so they took the first step in building a trust with me concerning their business. Most automakers today are all about themselves and will formulate their commercials, signs, and sales to make you believe one thing and then they will do another. So, my answer is "Other" because I have wanted the RL since Nov. 2000.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I replied with "Other" because I wanted a grown-up toy to let me have as much or even more fun I had when I had my 1990 CRX Si that I auto-x'd a lot. The RedLine will do the trick very well and it will be a fairly exclusive and inexpensive car to have. Can't beat those attributes!!!

Regards,

BA

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I'm counted to others because in Germany starting next year there will only the turbo 2.0 SIDI engine be available. I'm shure this would be a good and economic engine - I drive first german 2.0 turbo (1992) with 204 HP and it's a very powerfull or fuel saving engine just like you want to drive it.

Nico
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

no as soon as i can turn the key and gas cap is good enought for me. but with my skyline most likley in the fall i will have some more time to put down some extra cash and then this way less of a loan.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Taken delivery of a new Sky. Will sell it and purchase one of the first Redline Sky cars.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:13 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I am driving a sky now. I also put a deposit on a redline and am 3rd on the dealer's waiting list. I will trade or sell and move up to the redline when it is in.

I LOVE MY SKY
Bluestone R/L with Tan roof
Manual
Chrome Wheels
Billet Grille
HIDs
Race Precision GT exhaust
R/L CAI
Exhaust Depot Charge Pipes
In Dash GPS nav touchscreen XM radio & rear view camera
No more Black and Tan Base
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:11 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Nope, I prefer to add a supercharger to my base Sky than go Turbo. I know they say virtually no turbo lag, and you get crazy boost at 2500RPM, but I know any noticeable lag will drive me nuts. If I can get over 200HP with a supercharger then I will be a very happy camper.

I do wish the base Sky had direct injection though.

Silver Graphite
Black Premium Interior
5spd Manual
Limited Slip Diff
6 Disc Monsoon Radio w/MP3
Chrome Rims
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Already have a SKY and very happy. If I had the opportunity I might order a Redline later and sell my SKY. I dont think it will be difficult to sell a SKY this year.

Chili Pepper Red
Tan top/seats
Prem. trim
Audio System
LSD
Ordered 1/16/06-Del 4/19/ VIN # 1112
TAG- SKY 007

RL ordered - As above + XM
Deposit 8/9
11/30 3400 # KJJG5N
12/19 3800, 12/28 5000 VIN ..121981 Home 1/11/07 Thanks deluke
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mo Power

I will buy any factory authorized aftermarket power enhancement.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SkyRoadster Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in