Why are you buying a SKY ? (or thinking about it) - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SkyRoadster Polls Polls related to the Saturn SKY as well as site polls. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

View Poll Results: Why are you buying a new SKY ? (or thinking about it)
I was already in the market for a 2-seat, convertible roadster, and the SKY fit the bill. 144 22.82%
I was blown away by the looks the first time I saw a photo, and knew I had to have one. 440 69.73%
I reviewed the technical design of the SKY and it has all the right specs. 66 10.46%
The SKY offers a huge bang for the buck (i.e., great value). 143 22.66%
Mid-life crisis. 90 14.26%
Need to impress the neighbors. 22 3.49%
I really wanted a new motorcycle, but significant other said no. 16 2.54%
Other (please post reply with explanation). 48 7.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 631. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:01 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I first saw the car as a 'concept' two years ago at the Chicago Autoshow and immediately knew that if it ever went into production, I had to have one. Saw it again back in February at the autoshow...'concept' became reality. My husband and I looked at each other and said "THAT will be our next car". We shopped around at other dealers since February, seeing if there was anything else out there that jumped out at us like the Sky did...almost bought an MX-5 Miata, but I'm glad we didn't. I would rather wait as long as it takes to get the car I truly want, rather than to settle for something else. I already own and ride a Harley-Davidson so I know what it's like to feel the wind in your face. But there are times when I can't/don't ride the bike...and it's those times that the Sky will still allow me to 'feel the wind' and still have fun...even though I'm in my 'cage'.

Linda

2008 RL
Delivered - 08/25/2007
Silver Pearl/Black Cloth
Polished Alloys
Automatic
Monsoon 1 disc
post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Had a SC2 for 10+ years and figure it's time for a change, plus I can't afford a Vette.

Sunburst Yellow
Ordered 4/5/06
Born 7/6/06
In my Driveway 8/16/06 VIN 6510

Fun Runs in the St Louis Area

Last edited by RMFNSKY; 04-04-2008 at 09:50 PM.
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to spamelaj
looks, neighbors and mid life

take your pick - they are all GREAT reasons! I'm having fun -life is too short not to!

Spamelaj
Midnight Blue & Black Leather
All the Trimmings!
It's mine as of 3/31/06!!!
post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
First 2000

Send a message via AIM to ordgq
I can no longer afford the airplane & am getting a little less capable of handling the Harley. This was the perfect solution to my needs! The wife & I are anxious to experience the road trips!!
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Hubby facing milestone BD. Last kid graduating college in June. Jack always talked about getting a roadster, probably old MG or somesuch. I liked the roadster idea but had trouble with visions of breakdowns, rebuilds taking months/years and scarcity of parts. We talked a bit about options but didn't care enough for anything to take the plunge. Then I saw a photo of a Solstice, probably in Popular Mechanics, last summer. Suddenly I thought here's a roadster we won't break the bank on and it should run quite a while without major parts problems. I thought about it for a few weeks and then floated the idea of that for his April BD. Sold! We went to the local autoshow in Nov to look at the Solstice but saw the Sky and immediately agreed it was "our" car. Put deposit down the next day. We've got a few weeks to go but putting the time to good use cleaning out the garage.

PS - we haven't told the kids yet, keeping it a secret from all 4 of them, all twentysomethings. Decided to spring it on them once it arrives. Very challenging when they come by or call and ask "What's new" to not blurt it out. Is anyone else planning to do an unveiling, too?

SkyHope
VIN = 2535
plate = SLYSKY
Silver graphite, premium red, automatic, chrome, spoiler, LSD
WCKCC member
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 12:58 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Why the Sky

Besides a Mid-Life Crisis situation The Lease on my previous car expired, so I had to plan for a new car. The Sky "fit the bill" It is what I have wanted for a long time (Almost 40 Years) That's Why I am Getting a Sky

The Seagull has Landed
Delivered May 12, 2006 VIN #1178
Midnight Blue, Premium Black Leather, Three Pedals
Stock R/L Dual Exhaust added
OKC, Oklahoma (We're Here now)
What a ride for a mid-life crisis
SKY XTC
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

The Innovation

It seems to me that the Sky is the first truely innovative machine to be engineered since Carol Shelby created the legondary Cobra.
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
A Man of my Word

In 1979, living in Detroit, I bought a brand new Triumph Spitfire and took a load of crap from Mom (GM Employee), Dad (Chrysler Employee), Uncle (Ford Employee), Neighbor (GM Employee) etc, etc, etc.

I said, "When Detroit makes a decent 2-Seat Roadster, I'll buy it!"

They did, and I got on the wait list. On 5/9/06 I kept my word.

First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!
post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:24 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I am 50; I was looking for a sporty car and fell in love with the Solstice. That was until we went to the auto show and saw the SKY. Both my wife and I thought the SKY looked better in person. I have wanted a convertible since I sold my 63 Corvair Spyder convertible and that was back in 1990. That car was fun to drive, but started taking a bus to work and no long needed the car. Now I am driving every day and wanted a convertible to drive when the weather is nice.

My SKY
CHILI PEPPER RED with Black Top, Spoiler and Black Leather interior
Premium Trim Package, with AM/FM/CD MP3 playback
5-speed and LSD VIN 1G8MB35BX7Y110700
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Two reasons.

First is because I needed a second car when I realized my project car is going to have teething issues when it blew a piston a couple weeks ago.

Second, the Sky is the first car since 1996 that has really gotten my blood pumping that I can actually afford.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Hmm... lets see, already own a motorcycle, used to have a MGB, done the mid life crisis er.. disaster already, but what got me to put money down, without ever kicking a tire, still havent even test drove one, was the very first ad i saw on tv nearly months ago for it. I too went "Thats a saturn?" Right then and there decided after using a motorcycle for sole transportation for nearly 6 yrs, that it was the car for me... Yup people at work thought i had lost my mind, not for looking at it, but being a true die hard cycle rider, they went "your buying a car?" looking at delivery still 3 months out, hoping to test drive one soon... a very strange feeling having decided to buy one nearly sight unseen.
post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:24 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

For me, it's because it's a Saturn. I have owned nothing but Saturns since I turned 16. When I first saw the original SKY roadster (remember the wierd looking blue thing back in 02?), I knew that eventually Saturn was going to release a convertible and now it has finally arrived. When I saw the original sketch they released, I fell instantly in love and wanted one since then.

Every time I drive our demo at the dealership (I got to take it on a nice long back-country-road drive bringing it home from display at a golf course today) I fall in love with it just a little bit more. I wouldn't be interested in a roadster right now if it wasn't for the SKY.

Saturn enthusiast and former Sales Consultant
Red Line Owner's Association co-president
99 SL2 Homecoming Edition - 78k miles
93 SC2 - 204k miles - needs fuel pump
04 VUE Red Line - RIP 7/1/06
07 VUE Red Line - 25k miles
post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I have a jeep wrangler now, I'm tired of the rough ride, no electric windows and doors, no leather seats. I think a girl needs these items. I like being high up and the top off. soooo...the only thing I'll be missing is setting high, but I will be getting so much more with the Sky Redline...

Good trade for me

Silver Graphite,Redline, Black/Red Leather, Crome Wheels, XM
Deposit 6/12, Delivered 11/15
post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 01:51 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Voted on:
1) I saw one and had to look into getting one myself.
2) Bang 4 buck. not that I'm an expert, but seems to be.
3) Mid-life crisis. I'm 48. Single, with nothing going on. so, what the heck.

Additional:
4) My current vehicle ('02 Rodeo Sport) is under powered, lousy gas milage (16-20), is paid for, and has 100k mi. on it. (I'm going to keep it though)
5) I've got 30K burning a hole in my pocket. (RedLine Baby!)

Dale.
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Why a Sky?

Been riding motorcycles for over 50 years (currently have 2 BMW cycles) and am driving a BMW 540. Will be trading in the 540 for a BMW X5 for my wife and I was thinking about a new BMW Z4 roadster (until I found out how much it was). Saw a picture of a SKY and went to my Saturn dealer the next day for a test drive. Just seeing one in bright red (actually two, as a factory rep was there with a white SKY that had the spoiler on the deck lid) and then test driving it, did it for me. Placed an order for one in Silver Graphite, Red Premium Trim, Rear Spoiler, Limited-slip differential, and special Air Intake.
Delivery should be mid-August (according to the dealer).

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SkyRoadster Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in