08 Redline Crash - Need some advice - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
08 Redline Crash - Need some advice

My 08 Redline was involved in a crash, other car backed into my car in a parking lot, and insurance said its totaled. I'm the original owner and it has 50k miles, hate to get rid of it. Damage includes front bumper, headlight, hood is buckled slightly by passenger tire, both passenger side tires, front rim, and rear quarter panel.
Body shop gave me an estimate of ~8k. what do ya'll think I should do??

Here are some pics - https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts...970453192.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on what the insurance company is offering you, I would take the money and run! I'm assuming they are offering you less than the $5,000. you have it listed for on Craigslist.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

They are offering $11,200 which is fair but I feel like I can fix it for cheaper, just unsure what other damage is out there to the suspension or else. I posted it for $5k to see if there was any interest without repairing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
If they are offering you $11,200 definitely take the money and run. I did a quick search and found 9 redlines, all under 50K miles from $10k to $13k. If you love the Sky redline that much buy yourself another one that isn't going to have a bad carfax which if you decide to sell it down the road will be worth next to nothing. Just my opinion for what it is worth. I will tell you that you have some major damage and expense if you want to replace the rear panel.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Garage
mtdjohn is right about the quarter panel. Depending on how bad it is (didn't look at pictures) it may be an easy fix, or a real bastard. Finding those quarters isn't easy so if it is real bad it may not be worth trying to repair it.

However, since you are the original owner, I understand the sentiment of wanting to try and fix it. Just replacing it may not mean the same to you as keeping this one so that is a question only you can answer. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (like you haven't already) and plan on enjoying it by driving it, then resale means very little. If you are hoping it will be a collectors car and only drive it on occasion these days (assuming here that the majority of it's 50k miles was put on it early on) then a salvage title ruins the collectability and getting another one that isn't a salvage title is the better choice.

Depending on how bad the hood is, it may be able to be fixed. If not, you can always go with an aftermarket hood if you want.

Looking at the pictures, the quarter panel CAN be fixed by a competent body guy. Mine was worse than that and got fixed to where you can't tell it was ever damaged. Looks like most of your stuff is up in the bumper area on the front corner. May need some parts replaced there...and maybe some new hood hinges...but your suspension looks good. So long as there is no frame damage that car is very salvageable. Even if there are suspension arm issues up in that front corner, if the frame is good you're talking a tie rod end, a coil over, a swaybar, a couple a-arms, a wheel hub and a hub carrier...and that's if the EVERY part of that suspension in that corner is damaged....which I HIGHLY doubt. At most I'm thinking wheel hub and an a-arm or two...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
mtdjohn is right about the quarter panel. Depending on how bad it is (didn't look at pictures) it may be an easy fix, or a real bastard. Finding those quarters isn't easy so if it is real bad it may not be worth trying to repair it.

However, since you are the original owner, I understand the sentiment of wanting to try and fix it. Just replacing it may not mean the same to you as keeping this one so that is a question only you can answer. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (like you haven't already) and plan on enjoying it by driving it, then resale means very little. If you are hoping it will be a collectors car and only drive it on occasion these days (assuming here that the majority of it's 50k miles was put on it early on) then a salvage title ruins the collectability and getting another one that isn't a salvage title is the better choice.

Depending on how bad the hood is, it may be able to be fixed. If not, you can always go with an aftermarket hood if you want.

Looking at the pictures, the quarter panel CAN be fixed by a competent body guy. Mine was worse than that and got fixed to where you can't tell it was ever damaged. Looks like most of your stuff is up in the bumper area on the front corner. May need some parts replaced there...and maybe some new hood hinges...but your suspension looks good. So long as there is no frame damage that car is very salvageable. Even if there are suspension arm issues up in that front corner, if the frame is good you're talking a tie rod end, a coil over, a swaybar, a couple a-arms, a wheel hub and a hub carrier...and that's if the EVERY part of that suspension in that corner is damaged....which I HIGHLY doubt. At most I'm thinking wheel hub and an a-arm or two...
Luckily in NJ they don't issue salvage titles when the car is older than 8 years old so at least there's that. I basically wanted to keep the car for years and run it out so not so worried about resale value. Just worried about what other damage might be hiding. Body shop said the hood is buckled a little by the passenger tire and recommends getting it replaced but I'll try and get them to repair it. Suspension is a maybe but it was low speed and not a direct hit to the tire. Anything else I should be worried about down by the passenger side wheel? Turbo intake??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondman99 View Post
Luckily in NJ they don't issue salvage titles when the car is older than 8 years old so at least there's that. I basically wanted to keep the car for years and run it out so not so worried about resale value. Just worried about what other damage might be hiding. Body shop said the hood is buckled a little by the passenger tire and recommends getting it replaced but I'll try and get them to repair it. Suspension is a maybe but it was low speed and not a direct hit to the tire. Anything else I should be worried about down by the passenger side wheel? Turbo intake??
I think all your turbo stuff (intercooler, charge pipes, etc) should be fine. The engine components are inside the frame rails so she'd have had to damaged your frame for that to really be an issue. I think you're mainly looking at body and paint damage with a little supporting structure damage to the "wings" that are in front of the front tires behind the bumper on that passenger side and maybe some minor front right suspension damage. Really nothing that should be too major.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
11,200? take it. See what they will give you for a buyback, I bet you can make out ahead.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
Hood is about 800.00 front bumper 280.00, I just bought one from my local dealer. Rear quarter is a piece of cake it appears. Headlights are going near 300.00 apiece now. I doubt there is much suspension damage is any. I would see if they would sell it back to you. If it is goes to auction, they might get 2500.00 but very doubtful. Tell them you will take the car for 3K and they can give you 8K. You can get it fixed for way less than that is my guess.

I have purchased three wrecks. Repairing the front end on one and replacing the hood. No where near 11K.

You would be hard pressed to sell one of these for that to be honest. I am sure your car looked like new before this. Sorry to see it, but I would try to save it if possible. Parts are available. The toughest part to get is the fog light.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I don't know if it can still be done...been out of the body business for over 15 years....but, talk to them and ask them if you took the money, what would they be willing to sell it back to you for? Many times they'll sell it back for about $3k....so they give you $11,2, you give them $3 and then pay to fix it, or fix it yourself.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Without reading over everything, id take the money and purchase back the car from the insurance company. I or family have done this with numerous vehicles in the past. Wont even show up as a ding on the title and you still have the car and money.
That bumper doesn't look as bad as mine when I had it repaired before. a decent body shop can do that for well under $1000. If the hood is crumpled, its trash, if only for safety reasons. Use this as an oportnity to upgrade(again, what I did). Norm's hoods are fantastic and you will never stop getting people asking you about the car after that upgrade. Tires are just tires, maybe $500 max? depending on what you run.

That rear panel will be the real problem. Ive looked before and they are hard to find. but there were just a couple front end collision redlines that are being parted out on ebay right now. may message seller and see if they have a panel. Its a red one, but paint will probably cost less than a repair. If the repair can even be done.
Headlights on ebay range from $250-300 each. but they are there to find. Same with Wheels, about the same price too. Or I know there were a couple members here that had some for sale.

If you have the time and means to do the work, id most definitely do it. I think it will come out cost positive.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in