290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 21 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I dont know why all you guys that are getting such good gas milage want to mod? Your obvioulsy not even on the turbos at all. I average about 23.5mpg, always at high RPM and ready to pounce.
What I didn't mention was that the last time I filled up the car before this I got 25 mpg. If I'm first in line at a redlight I'm off like a shot when it goes green. Lately though I've just been trying to see how much mileage I can squeeze out of a gallon of gas. Once I get the numbers really high I'll apply what I've learned to when I'm cruising, to help even out what I'm losing at lights.

And seriously, why sit at high RPM just burning gas? Even an auto tranny ought to downshift quick enough to accelerate hard from a roll.

Black Onyx 2009 Saturn Sky Redline
Manual transmission
Black leather
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
"Redline" Wind Restrictor
K&N Air Filter
35% tint, side and rear windows
post #302 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSled1 View Post
Just so you know, even if your dealer is O.K. with your mods it will not be in their hands if there is a major failure. Your district GM rep will be taking a look at the car and he has no interest in the dealerships "deals".
I have changed my mind after the post about the EPA approval. I am going to wait til the end of the year to see if this happens. I have cancled my appointment with the saturn dealership. But I'm going crazy wanting more...

O8 Redline Carbon Flash
RPI GT Exhaust
RPI Catless Down Pipe
Fujita Intake and IC Pipes
Hahn Stage II intercooler
Westers Race Tune
Vertical Doors
Hid 12000's
Sequential Tail Lights
Pulse Brake Lights
Smoked Side Markers
post #303 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Most of my driving is in the city, and I like to run around 3500rpm because it sounds cool with my RPI Pipes. I like pulling up to people, having it in second around 3500 then blast off. Its so cool. If it wasnt for this car I'd never get laid, besides with my wife. Haha

O8 Redline Carbon Flash
RPI GT Exhaust
RPI Catless Down Pipe
Westers Race Tune
Vertical Doors
Hid 12000's
Sequential Tail Lights
Pulse Brake Lights
Smoked Side Markers

Last edited by shifty; 09-15-2008 at 03:00 PM.
post #304 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM

I just figured that with a username like shifty dropping a gear or two to a pass someone would be right up your alley.

Manual transmission
Black leather
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
K&N Air Filter

Last edited by uranium-238; 09-15-2008 at 06:44 PM.
post #305 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Yea, I need to work on that. If it wasnt for that damn RPI exhaust that just purrrrs around 3000rpm. Maybe I just need the down pipeing, no cat. Yea thats it

O8 Redline Carbon Flash
RPI GT Exhaust
RPI Catless Down Pipe
Westers Race Tune
Vertical Doors
Hid 12000's
Sequential Tail Lights
Pulse Brake Lights
Smoked Side Markers

Last edited by shifty; 09-15-2008 at 03:57 PM.
post #306 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Lol, why not just record you car running around 3k, then pump that through the stereo?

And back on topic, I filled up again today. Averaged 26 mpg this time. My gas mileage in this car has been anything but consistent. Maybe if I got the tune and floored it every chance I get I could improve this car's consistency.

Manual transmission
Black leather
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
K&N Air Filter
post #307 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium-238 View Post
Lol, why not just record you car running around 3k, then pump that through the stereo?

And back on topic, I filled up again today. Averaged 26 mpg this time. My gas mileage in this car has been anything but consistent. Maybe if I got the tune and floored it every chance I get I could improve this car's consistency.
Lol, I bet it's your driving that is inconsistant. I totally try to take it easy fora whole tank, but then without fail; some civic needs some humbling...

Klipper
2008 Sky Red Line
Onyx Black / Tan Top / Interior
Stubby Antenna
V2 Wind Restrictor
GMPP CAI
GMPP LNF Power Upgrade Kit
post #308 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipper View Post
Lol, I bet it's your driving that is inconsistant. I totally try to take it easy fora whole tank, but then without fail; some civic needs some humbling...
Exactly! I was doing fine on this tank of gas, till I ran into a modded acura (judging from what looked like an intercooler, but with ricers you never know...sure didn't sound turbo'd.) on the way back from Annapolis on friday. He was tailgating, reving at lights, and just being as obnoxious as possible. I just had to get as far away from that fart can as I could, as quickly as possible. And I did. Without competition mode. And with the top down.

That may be the one thing I don't like about this car, the attention it attracts from ricers. I couldn't begin to count all the civics, scions and the like that go out of their way to try and goad me into racing. (I've found scion TC drivers to be the worst.) What's funny is I can get several car lengths in front of one at a light without really trying and within all traffic laws. It's funny to see a ricer try and take off like a shot, only to be taken by a car driven in a reasonable manner, and within the speed limit.

And for those who accuse me of street racing, I simply want to get as far from these guys as I can in a safe, legal manner. It's not like we're talking race cars here, most of these are your stereotypical civic with a fart can that is only drowned out by the bass from the subs, speaker under the hood for fake BOV sounds, lowered so much you wonder how they get around ricers. All 16 second cars at best, and with the subs, age and constant abuse from lousy drivers most will be lucky to get that.

Oh, and the sti/evo crowd isn't like that at all. They know they don't have anything to prove.

Manual transmission
Black leather
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
K&N Air Filter

Last edited by uranium-238; 09-15-2008 at 07:29 PM.
post #309 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to fr0stb1t3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyRL View Post
Excuss me! The ECU's processor is a MPC565 Freescale 32 bit beauty capable of doing(and is doing) a whole lot more then reading a simple sensor. The A to D is 10 bit or 1024 increments.
255 kilopascal = about 37 psi and 333 kilopascal = about 48 psi.....so what are the sensor used for??
Want to know more...just ask
Umm no. You're flat out wrong as far as the sensor capabilities. You're forgetting kPa doesn't directly convert to boost. 255kpa=36.9psi-14.7 atmospheric pressure = ~22lb of boost

It has held true across MULTIPLE vehicles with the same ECU that they cannot go above 255kpa without significant changes that no one in the aftermarket has been able to do. Whether that is an OS based issue or a hardware/bus limitation (as I had assumed since the number is so close to rounding out to 8bit) is irrelevant. GM is having to make significant changes to the system to make this happen and I personally see no reason as to why they would. 22lb is on the far edge of our turbo's capability anyways.

In fact if you read closely, it says it's replacing the MAP (manifold air pressure) with two MAF sensors (mass air flow). So maybe they are going around the 255kpa limit by using air flow instead of pressure.

Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 09-16-2008 at 12:44 PM.
post #310 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
Umm no. You're flat out wrong as far as the sensor capabilities. You're forgetting kPa doesn't directly convert to boost. 255kpa=36.9psi-14.7 atmospheric pressure = ~22lb of boost

It has held true across MULTIPLE vehicles with the same ECU that they cannot go above 255kpa without significant changes that no one in the aftermarket has been able to do. Whether that is an OS based issue or a hardware/bus limitation (as I had assumed since the number is so close to rounding out to 8bit) is irrelevant. GM is having to make significant changes to the system to make this happen and I personally see no reason as to why they would. 22lb is on the far edge of our turbo's capability anyways.

In fact if you read closely, it says it's replacing the MAP (manifold air pressure) with two MAF sensors (mass air flow). So maybe they are going around the 255kpa limit by using air flow instead of pressure.
"I'm flat out wrong" as you say. I did not say anything about boost and I was asking a simple question of where the sensors will be used. So please be nice

Midnight Blue RL - Automatic
Rust proofed & Undercoated
Painted calipers and lettering
Painted engine cover, fuse box, rearend
Third brake light decal
Opel Gt antenna
3" Magnaflow exhaust
CTI hard pipes
Dejon Intercooler

Last edited by BlueSkyRL; 09-16-2008 at 01:13 PM.
post #311 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post

It HAS to be related to the 255kpa limit, why else would they change those sensors? I heard the maf and map work together so maybe they're calibrated to read differently and allow us to run more boost.
post #312 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I dont see why they would have to change the maf, its not limiting anything. Its the map and tmap sensors that have a 255kpa limit, those two need changing.

Anyway if gm would want my business the price would have to be set at $500 and include no lift to shift and launch control.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #313 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
I dont see why they would have to change the maf, its not limiting anything. Its the map and tmap sensors that have a 255kpa limit, those two need changing.

Anyway if gm would want my business the price would have to be set at $500 and include no lift to shift and launch control.

Your statement is in line with the CARB cert. The CARB EO says they're replacing the manifold absolute pressure sensor and the TMAP sensor. If any other parts were to be touched, the EO would state them.
post #314 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
You're right, i just re-read it and at first it mentioned mass air flow/intake temp but i guess that was just a generic term for a sensor they used.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #315 of 986 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyRL View Post
"I'm flat out wrong" as you say. I did not say anything about boost and I was asking a simple question of where the sensors will be used. So please be nice
Thanks for taking the high road here, btw. I recognize you must have been shaking your head as we're dabbling about in your field.

We've got quite a collection of experience 'round here, and it's great to have folks participate. Speaking for myself, I don't want to miss out on any of it, so lets do what we can to not push folks down and have them hesitate when they might join in. Lots of folks, and ya never really know who's who.

That said, time will ultimately tell. 'Course we're still going to need folks to participate even after release to get a bead on just what it all means and where we might go from there.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in