3 bar map sensor - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By The_Ghost
  • 1 Post By Dabman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
3 bar map sensor

What is the benefit of installing these sensors when doing a tune? Is there any reprogramming needed to scale the ecm correctly after installation?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
What is the benefit of installing these sensors when doing a tune?
They give more boost pressure headroom than stock sensors. They are required for the GMPP tune. Trifecta has different tunes that work with and without.

Quote:
Is there any reprogramming needed to scale the ecm correctly after installation?
Absolutely. If you install them without an ECM tune that is set up for the different pressure/voltage slope, the moment you attempt to accelerate hard you will throw a code and go into limp mode.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting. The BSR tune that is one of the tunes readily available in Europe says nothing about the need for different sensors.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Garage
The stock sensors read to 26 something I think the number is. The 3bar will read to 30 pounds of boost as I understand it. Have been playing with it for awhile now.

Also if you order them, be sure they are wired correctly. My first set were miss wired and it was not a happy site.
@Robotech may be able to help you with the part number as I just threw that stuff away.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM

The stock sensor is 2.7 BAR (+24.7 PSI) and the new sensor is 3.07 BAR (+30 PSI).

None of the normal tunes *need* the extra headroom - unless you expect to push >24 PSI. GM decided it was better to be safe (apparently) and so included the new sensors in the package.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Garage
TS, the one I have now, with the hybrid turbo is pushing the 30 PSI according to Robotech. Dave (PAW) is dialing it back some I guess, as I am having MAF sensor codes. I know nothing about this stuff, just what they tell me.

The car is pretty quick according to Robotech. I really don't have a basis on it, I haven't driven it in over a year, and it was right after I sold the Mallett. Nothing seems fast after that nightmare.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
TS, the one I have now, with the hybrid turbo is pushing the 30 PSI according to Robotech. Dave (PAW) is dialing it back some I guess, as I am having MAF sensor codes. I know nothing about this stuff, just what they tell me.

The car is pretty quick according to Robotech. I really don't have a basis on it, I haven't driven it in over a year, and it was right after I sold the Mallett. Nothing seems fast after that nightmare.
Yes, yours is tickling 29-30 and causing the SES light. Will dial it down a bit to get rid of that. My understanding is the stock ECM cannot adjust for fuel past 30 psi anyway so probably not a bad idea to run a bit less. While you can push that much boost without a 3-bar MAP, I like having the sensors read what's REALLY going on.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Yes, yours is tickling 29-30 [...] While you can push that much boost without a 3-bar MAP...
What we used to call "open loop feedback" (to be spoken in a strong Texas drawl )

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
Interesting. The BSR tune that is one of the tunes readily available in Europe says nothing about the need for different sensors.
So to be a bit more clearer for you. After ~24.7lbs of boost, the car "calculates" your boost, because it can't actually read it anymore without the 3BAR MAP sensor. If one of your other sensors is a bit off, the calculation can be off by a mile...and the motor won't last long in that circumstance. Most of the people that tune these cars, don't use any type of High Flow Cat or Aftermarket intercooler, so the stock K04 becomes nothing more then a big heat pump above 23psi. If you have at least the AMIC, then the you turn the psi up a bit more...and an HFC nets you even more psi availability.... However, most K04 turbos don't last long after about 25psi. So there's really no need for the 3.0BAR MAP sensors.

Sidenote: Not sure if you know what a BAR is? It's 1 atmosphere or ~14.7psi. You will hear people refer to the MAP sensors as 2BAR and 3Bar, when in reality they are 2.7BAR(stock ~24.7psi) and 3.02BAR(GMPP ~30psi)...The higher the BAR, the less resolution they have, so as an example, instead of reading 18.994psi with a 2BAR, it might only read 18.9psi with a 3BAR.
Robotech likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So with stock turbo and possibly hfc, mandrel bent airpipes and maybe cai it should do with a 2.7 bar sensor? (With a tune that's made for stock sensors)

Last edited by Kjelle69; 02-10-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I did the Upgraded charge tubes and Martin from RPM tuned it with my stock 2.7 bar sensors. However...When I boost hard it throws an engine code and CEL for boost pressure. I have the 3 barr in hand and ready to install. I upgraded to CAI, Big Wheel Turbo, Cat Delete, Intercooler this winter so I'll throw the new sensors in right before Martin does his re-tune. If I were you I would for sure 100% buy the upgraded sensors before you tune, could avoid the CEL I've been getting. Plus it was only like $100 for the sensors I believe.
Kjelle69 likes this.

2008 Redline
Alpine ILX-107 with Rearview Camera
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete

Last edited by Dabman; 02-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in