Another Succesful Radiator Fan Controller Replacement - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Jan 5, 2017. Still going strong! Not even a hint of a problem!

Yogi
Hi Yogi. Glad to hear you scored a cheap fix on that :-)

I just finished putting the entire fan assembly in ours. It appears that I didn't screw it up, it comes on at ~195 degrees and scales.

Couple of questions though.

A) If I lost about a half pint to a pint of coolant out of the radiator top end while doing this, do I have to worry about air lock in the cooling system?

B) Is there anything that needs to be done RE the engine management system for the unit and the vehicle computer to "sync"?

Replacing the fan was quite the pain in the ass. I was sweating getting it in for a bit. Car has 171,000 miles on it, still seems to be doing good. I noted another vermin had crawled into the space under the manifold cover and started storing crap there, second time for that but the prior one had gotten baked there and mummified. Tech sent me a photo of it while they were fixing a power loss issue, which was due to said rat eating through something under there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axenolith View Post
Hi Yogi. Glad to hear you scored a cheap fix on that :-)

I just finished putting the entire fan assembly in ours. It appears that I didn't screw it up, it comes on at ~195 degrees and scales.

Couple of questions though.

A) If I lost about a half pint to a pint of coolant out of the radiator top end while doing this, do I have to worry about air lock in the cooling system?
I would worry about any excess air in the system! Just keep the coolant level up to the seam on the reservoir and you should be OK.

Quote:
B) Is there anything that needs to be done RE the engine management system for the unit and the vehicle computer to "sync"?
No. The main thing is to get as much air out of the system as possible, otherwise you'll be having overheating problems. Let me know if you need more info on air removal.

Quote:
Replacing the fan was quite the pain in the ass. I was sweating getting it in for a bit. Car has 171,000 miles on it, still seems to be doing good. I noted another vermin had crawled into the space under the manifold cover and started storing crap there, second time for that but the prior one had gotten baked there and mummified. Tech sent me a photo of it while they were fixing a power loss issue, which was due to said rat eating through something under there...
I hope that the rat didn't eat through any of your wires??

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cheap Module Replacement Worked!

Just wanted to confirm using the crown vic module worked for me too.

Key descriptions to look for.

Part Number: ry-1532
Description: Radiator Cooling Fan Control Relay 6W1Z8B658AC for Ford Crown Lincoln Mercury

Physically it is identical including all connectors. I can't speak for the circuitry , but it worked.

I found it on Amazon for $24

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

One screw to remove for install. It was a lot easier to replace than the thermostat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 AM
gag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey all. I've had fan issues too, so I tried fixing it by replacing the fan control module. I've had mixed success by replacing the fan control module.

When I recently installed the new fan control module, the fan still wasn't working. (I tested it with the A/C on). After I stopped and started the car a couple of times the fan started working consistently with absolutely no issues. It turned on every single time I turn on my A/C and when it was supposed to (i.e. certain temperature set points).

However, a couple of days ago, I noticed the fan wasn't working again. I tried turning off and on the car, to no avail. Fast forward a couple of days later, and today my fan worked just fine again. (Tested again by turning on the A/C).

Anybody experienced this before or might have an idea of why this may be happening?

Thanks in advanced for the responses.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Sounds like a loose connection (hopefully). Check the wiring to the fan - and especially the ground connections.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I was thinking the same thing, when the fan isn’t working a voltage reading at the fan would be my next step. Is the module telling the fan to turn on? I would carry a multimeter in the car and have the test points indentified. Being ready to check it at the moment it happens. Could be a fan going bad that is working when it wants to.

2007 (2.4L)
Solo Cat
Magnaflo Redline dual exhaust
Werks Turbo @ 10 PSI
FE2 shocks
KappaSphere coil springs and rebar
ZOK anti-sway bars
DDM Works Latin Venom front brace, Pro Beam, Racing Back Bone
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
agreed on loose connection, check and make sure the fuse is set tight, and that the post on the fuse box is secured down. I had similar issues before realizing that the nut on the fuse box post (which is the fan circuit) was just slightly loose...enough to vary the connection and wreak havoc.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 AM
gag

Update: the fan hasn't put up a fit again. Took me to work just fine. A/C working great in this brutal Texas heat. However, it doesn't yet inspire all that much confidence since it did just randomly go out for a day.

@TomatoSoup
I was also thinking how those symptoms are indicative of a loose connection. However, when the fan wasn't working I thumped it a couple of times while the engine was on and no luck.

@christopher_2
When I did the replacement when the fan first went out, I verified with a test light that there was indeed a good voltage and ground coming through the connection (which prompted me to change the fan module). I guess it wouldn't hurt to test that again if it goes out again. I'll have the test light handy. Thanks for the tip!

@Rockchops
That is something I haven't checked or was aware of. Just to clarify, is the post you're talking about the one I have circled in red on the attached picture?

Thanks for your input guys. Really helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	102399  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Correct on the red circle -- may also have some corrosion in there...somewhat unlikely but possible. The fuse is the big pink 60A right next to it (#1), would check continuity and condition there too.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:45 PM

btw this is what it looks like in between. the big chunky circuit on the bottom left (in this pic) is the fan circuit. Mine had some corrosion on that one and some of the various fuse contacts in there.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 AM
gag

Oh wow, that's a lot of circuitry there. Wasn't aware it was there and that it was for the fan. How did you get rid of the rust? Did you use sand paper or something. I'll definitely make sure to take a look now. Thanks for that great picture!

This is one of the things that I really like about owning this car - having an awesome community to bounce ideas with. Really appreciate the help!
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Oh wow, that's a lot of circuitry there. Wasn't aware it was there and that it was for the fan.
To be clear, that's the interconnect circuitry for the whole fuse box - connecting all the fuse and relay circuits to the big connectors on the bottom. Only one of those 'tracks' (bottom left corner) is for the fan.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Oh wow, that's a lot of circuitry there. Wasn't aware it was there and that it was for the fan. How did you get rid of the rust? Did you use sand paper or something. I'll definitely make sure to take a look now. Thanks for that great picture!

This is one of the things that I really like about owning this car - having an awesome community to bounce ideas with. Really appreciate the help!
hey sorry I was pretty vague there, attached is the picture for the fan circuit (probably should have started with this). And I just used fine sandpaper with a large amount of electronics cleaner to flush and get rid of any shavings or particles.

The fan circuit is circled here
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Well, the E-Bay Crown Vic controller lasted almost exactly 3 years, Since I now have an extended warranty, I took it to the local dealer for repairs. Of course, they replaced the whole fan+controller+shroud for $834.22, but my share was $200 deductible + $40 "Fed. Disposal Fees."

Damn thing better last longer than 3 years!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Well, the E-Bay Crown Vic controller lasted almost exactly 3 years, Since I now have an extended warranty, I took it to the local dealer for repairs. Of course, they replaced the whole fan+controller+shroud for $834.22, but my share was $200 deductible + $40 "Fed. Disposal Fees."

Damn thing better last longer than 3 years!

Yogi
Let's hope so...

Wow that's interesting. E-Bay fan controller worked for 3 years with no problems, for whatever you paid for it 3 years ago? $24.00?
Now.. with extended warranty, the dealer replaces the entire fan assembly for a mere $834.22. Bang for Buck? Deductible was $200
so mainly paid the labor part of this install. At how many miles on the odo? Now part of the your car's history. Checking to if in did
our fan does work when you have an overheating problem is essential before you get stranded somewhere. Fluid levels, fuses & connections and operations, even when your not... driving your car.

From the photo, tightening these bolts below our fuse panel in the engine bay should be on your
regular schedule maintenance check list. Reseat any fuses that seem suspect in nature.
Can't hurt any, might save you from problems later on?
I do this every Spring more or less, clean and tighten what I can in there. It improves your confidence level some knowing
you have looked over everything you can before a dealer visit is involved. Sandpaper for cleaning the electrical connections
in the fuse panel block. Hmmm gritty dirt in the fuse panel not a good idea. Vacuum this out. Electrical cleaner on these locations
if you have not checked yours lately? Corrosion/rust build up on grounding points happens.
I know of an old school low tech item was used back in the day, a rubber eraser
lightly over these electrics sometimes is easier and cleaner than sandpaper.
Clean & vacuum this before resealing the top. Just a thought.

Small furry creatures in your engine bay. Never a good thing. Nesting under the engine cover, been there done that in mine before.
Check often under there, or remove it and leave it off. I now run with mine off full time. I check for turds, leaves, nut shell husks, berries, anything that doesn't belong.
Nothing like a dried up fur ball on your hot intake manifold to change your day.
Keep a portable fire ext. handy in car somewhere.
An engine fire with no way of putting it out on your own, with the fire dept. arrival mere hours away
from your location as your car burns to the ground is something no owner wants to go through in their lifetime.
Clean the engine bay. Check all connections. Buy a small fire ext. on sale if you
don't have one already? $8-12.00 purchase could save your $25k Kappa from going up in flames.

After eviction notices to my chipmonk problem he has stayed away from his nesting spot in my engine bay.
Cleaning out his mess was pain at first now I look for it.
Crushed up De-Con fine powder is now applied to this area several times a year,
with four chunks... under my car at the corners keeps the chipmonk in sick mode which leaves my wiring alone.

Bleach is another item he hates. Little spray bleach under the car will F with his senses.
Waters his eyes, burns his little nose, his food tastes funny in this location,
I don't like it here,... I'm going somewhere else for lunch. Good just what I was after, get out of my engine bay fur ball.
Cheap with De-Con powder as back up plan B.

Little solution on the intake manifold once every month, keeps him away. Better go check today to see if he has been back in mine?
Going to some car show tomorrow so...no chip monks in the engine bay allowed to this event.

LAC
Yogi likes this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 07-20-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Time to correct everything i just typed here... what fun.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in