Another Succesful Radiator Fan Controller Replacement - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Thanks for the helpful tips, LAC!

Luckily, I keep Black Bart stored in a closed garage, and I've never seen any chipmunks around these parts, though we do have rats, mice and squirrels.

Mileage is approx 85,635.

Just to clarify, I only paid the $240 portion, NOT the $834.

I've only had the Maintenance Contract for about a year now and it has replaced the driveshaft and this radiator fan. I haven't added up the receipts but I think that I'm ahead!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Thanks for the helpful tips, LAC!

Luckily, I keep Black Bart stored in a closed garage, and I've never seen any chipmunks around these parts, though we do have rats, mice and squirrels.

Mileage is approx 85,635.

Just to clarify, I only paid the $240 portion, NOT the $834.

I've only had the Maintenance Contract for about a year now and it has replaced the driveshaft and this radiator fan. I haven't added up the receipts but I think that I'm ahead!

Yogi
Paying just the deductible of $240 is cheap when compared to the full dealer costs for the full fan set up.
IF you paid the same $240 for the driveshaft replacement, your way ahead of the game here my friend.
Cost of the Maintenance contract verse the replacement of the these two items alone, has saved you big bucks in the long run.
With 85K on the odo & no factory warranty left it is the right thing to do imo. You never know IF your gonna need it, until you do.
To me it is sort of like showroom sticker shock. It costs how much? That's gonna go over real well with
the significant other, err credit card balance this month. $240 deductible X 2 plus the cost of the contract itself, is cheaper
than the cost of replacing the driveshaft and.. the full fan assembly here.

This has been sort of trial and error with me here on the small furry animals part. Sometimes it works and sometimes you find or your dealer tech (Fast Eddie ) finds mummified remains hiding under the engine cover.
I have a good friend of mine, that use to be a Ford Tech, and he told me, the most common
problem they seemed to fix the most, was animal infestation of some kind, eating through wires.
As if copper & plastic was actually " tasty " to them.
Not sure some of the main food chefs/critics would agree with this however. Little garlic with your copper wire entre there?
Yes and maybe some more cheese fondu with my plastic wiring cover if you please.

The bleach idea I kinda stumbled upon my accident. Was killing grass/weeds near my car, and is cheaper/safer than Roundup.
The benefit is it works and it's cheap enough to re-use when needed. It does not last all that long, and needs to be re-applied
as needed. Little water/bleach mix, applied with a cheap foam brush, on or in the engine manifold where he eats/sleeps. Rats
mice/squirrels are the most common intruders to your set up even when stored in a garage. Long term storage, I have read of
other ideas like steel wool in the tail pipes/exhaust openings. Dryer fabric sheets works too, on your interior spaces A/C vents,
cheap air freshener sort of. Whatever works. Cheaper and less costly than replacing a major wiring loom.
Moth balls is another item used for storage under/outside the car in a garage.
Glue traps, the old fashion mouse trap, Rock salt is another unknown item that messes with our furry friends.
Think of Bill Murry here in the Caddyshack movie... I'm gonna get you little sucker.
Bill used explosives however.

For under the car usage, be careful here in a closed environment such as your garage, it does stink the place up.
Outside in my case here a small dixee cup worth of bleach at each of the four corners near the wheels once a week/month depending on how often they show up around your car. Your results will vary.
You can use a spray bottle for more control of where and how much you use. Adjust bleach levels, less water to fit
the situation depending on is it a bachelor with a one bedroom condo in your engine bay or.. a family of six setting up
house, 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths,... it's all about location.

The Maintenance Contract is a good thing too. Sort of like Road Side Service for your ride. With no warranty left on our cars,
paying the full cost of replacing something as expensive as the full fan assembly is shocking. Add the total cost of what you paid for
the contract, then subtract the Driveshaft ( that wasn't cheap to do ) + the fan assembly too, yup your ahead of the game here.
The DYI approach can be painful and time consuming. Takes away from good to great permagrin seat time too. You do have to
save money where/when you can here on car maintenance. As our cars get older, part items available become less and less
each year we have to make choices of what and where do I spend the Big bucks on our cars, and what I can get on the cheap
that works and fits my/your budget.

Adding up costs of Bleach, steel wool, traps, dryer sheets, De-con, etc, here is less than the cost of a fan controller maybe. IDK.
You the owner are the best investigator when it comes to your car. Stop. Look. Listen. Fix what you can within budget available.
Be persistent in your pursuit of furry friends. They won't stop coming around your car most of the times, they are just hungry.
You just have to make life for them a little less fun with your on-going attack to keeping them out of your engine bay.

It's not just a job.. it's an adventure err owner/operator maintenance!

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 07-24-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAiken View Post
Just wanted to confirm using the crown vic module worked for me too.

Key descriptions to look for.

Part Number: ry-1532
Description: Radiator Cooling Fan Control Relay 6W1Z8B658AC for Ford Crown Lincoln Mercury

Physically it is identical including all connectors. I can't speak for the circuitry , but it worked.

I found it on Amazon for $24

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

One screw to remove for install. It was a lot easier to replace than the thermostat!
Where is the fan control relay located. my fan quit working last week and I want to try replacing the relay. Is it mounted the the radiator fan schroud. I can seem to find it. What side of the engine is it located on and can you see it from the top.

Gary B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Gary B
It is not a relay, it's a solid state controller which is located on one of the fan motor support legs on the back of the radiator. You can see it while standing on the passenger side of the car, and looking at the back of the radiator. There is one Phillips head screw holding the controller on the support leg and there are weatherproof wire plugs on both ends.

I hope that this helps.

Yogi
TomatoSoup likes this.

"Black Bart"
5 Speed Stick
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghere View Post
Where is the fan control relay located. my fan quit working last week and I want to try replacing the relay. Is it mounted the the radiator fan schroud. I can seem to find it. What side of the engine is it located on and can you see it from the top.

Gary B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Gary B
It is not a relay, it's a solid state controller which is located on one of the fan motor support legs on the back of the radiator. You can see it while standing on the passenger side of the car, and looking at the back of the radiator. There is one Phillips head screw holding the controller on the support leg and there are weatherproof wire plugs on both ends.

I hope that this helps.

Yogi
Just to clarify for future readers: The LNF has a controller. The LE5 has two relays in the Underhood Fuse Block.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Just to clarify for future readers: The LNF has a controller. The LE5 has two relays in the Underhood Fuse Block.
Good point, John.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yogi

"Black Bart"
5 Speed Stick

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in