Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Saturn Sky Redline Discussion (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Brake upgrade (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f24/brake-upgrade-94369/)

bahram 10-04-2018 05:12 PM

Brake upgrade
 
can someone advise me how to upgrade my brakes?

Elff 10-04-2018 06:22 PM

Take off the old ones and install better ones.
BOOM

Elff 10-04-2018 06:27 PM

Joking aside
wspohn and I completely disagree on this topic, but I hated the stock setup on the Kappa platform.
Seems like every other serious sports car has a better stock system. Most go with Brembos.

I will say, I upgraded my sky [while I still had it] with a Wilwood kit from TCE.
Solstice/Sky - Kits

It was a great improvement, but I do drive like a maniac, others not so much.
Depending on whether or not you want to track your car, or do canyon carving, will decide what kits you might be interested in.
I highly recommend calling TCE and speaking with Todd. Amazing Customer support and he will answer any and all questions

bahram 10-05-2018 06:47 AM

:D:cheers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elff (Post 1286013)
Take off the old ones and install better ones.
BOOM


bahram 10-05-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elff (Post 1286015)
Joking aside
wspohn and I completely disagree on this topic, but I hated the stock setup on the Kappa platform.
Seems like every other serious sports car has a better stock system. Most go with Brembos.

I will say, I upgraded my sky [while I still had it] with a Wilwood kit from TCE.
Solstice/Sky - Kits

It was a great improvement, but I do drive like a maniac, others not so much.
Depending on whether or not you want to track your car, or do canyon carving, will decide what kits you might be interested in.
I highly recommend calling TCE and speaking with Todd. Amazing Customer support and he will answer any and all questions

THank you Elff. I checked that kit, looks very gooed but also expensive. As you mentioned you are a sporty driver. I use the car seldom but still enough to be willing to have a safe car. Current brakes are Sh**.
I was hoping to discover here expriences/options of more Sky drivers who upgraded their brakes.

Personally I was thinking about just chging the discs in combination with brake shoes instead of the complete set. Any feed-back is welcome.

JohnWR 10-05-2018 08:01 AM

There are a number of threads about this, with even more on the Solstice forum. Depending on your specific complaint you might be satisfied with new pads.

TomatoSoup 10-05-2018 08:03 AM

Lots of threads on this, Bahram.

Easiest and best (cheap) upgrade is to replace the pads. Some use EBC, I used Hawks. Go to DDM's site and you can browse their pads and kits, and you know that what you get will fit: Saturn Sky

wspohn 10-05-2018 12:55 PM

Did I hear my name mentioned? 0:)

The other guys covered my brake philosophy nicely.

1 - make sure your braking system has no maintenance issues - e.g. failing hoses or rubber components, thrashed or gkazed pads etc..

2 - try some different brake pads

3 - if none of that improves the brakes sufficiently, look to different rotors and calipers.

Elff and I probably don't disagree in principle, it is just that I have found that #2 is sufficient (I use EBC Redstuff - ceramic and very low dust) while he prefers to go straight to #3 .

I think we both agree that the stock pads are far from ideal.

NikK 10-07-2018 11:36 AM

I changed the forward discs and i always use EBC yellow and red pads......Never had a problem with stock brakes.

Elff 10-08-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wspohn (Post 1286081)
Did I hear my name mentioned? 0:)

The other guys covered my brake philosophy nicely.

1 - make sure your braking system has no maintenance issues - e.g. failing hoses or rubber components, thrashed or gkazed pads etc..

2 - try some different brake pads

3 - if none of that improves the brakes sufficiently, look to different rotors and calipers.

Elff and I probably don't disagree in principle, it is just that I have found that #2 is sufficient (I use EBC Redstuff - ceramic and very low dust) while he prefers to go straight to #3 .

I think we both agree that the stock pads are far from ideal.

True Dat
:cheers:

I am going to add a 4th item, depending on the year of the Sky, a full brake fluid flush would probably make a difference on top of some hardware changes.
Flushing your brake fluid on proper intervals is probably one of the most neglected regular maintenance items for people who don't track their cars. People don't realize how much water brake fluid absorbs over time

Robotech 10-09-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elff (Post 1286015)
I will say, I upgraded my sky [while I still had it] with a Wilwood kit from TCE.
Solstice/Sky - Kits

It was a great improvement, but I do drive like a maniac, others not so much.
Depending on whether or not you want to track your car, or do canyon carving, will decide what kits you might be interested in.
I highly recommend calling TCE and speaking with Todd. Amazing Customer support and he will answer any and all questions

I've gone with the Wilwood TCE kit too and have to second Elf's assessment of the kit and the guys at TCE. I went with a custom color on mine and they came out great. I love them and put them to use at our last autocross event. It was a course with heavy braking and the Wilwoods never faded. Loved them!



Quote:

Originally Posted by wspohn (Post 1286081)
Did I hear my name mentioned? 0:)

The other guys covered my brake philosophy nicely.

1 - make sure your braking system has no maintenance issues - e.g. failing hoses or rubber components, thrashed or gkazed pads etc..

2 - try some different brake pads

3 - if none of that improves the brakes sufficiently, look to different rotors and calipers.

Elff and I probably don't disagree in principle, it is just that I have found that #2 is sufficient (I use EBC Redstuff - ceramic and very low dust) while he prefers to go straight to #3 .

I think we both agree that the stock pads are far from ideal.

The stock pads are horrible. Just about sent me off a mountainside. I went with Hawks before doing the TCE/Wilwood kit and they were good. Some fade if you REALLY abused the snot out of them but FAR superior to the stock units and probably more than enough for the average driver who doesn't push their car very hard for long periods of time.

bahram 10-10-2018 02:24 AM

Thanks a lot for all your inputs and feed-back. this will help me anormous. I will start first with new pads. I just drive about 1500 miles per year. My redline is tuned to 300BHP. most probably that is the reason why factory brake system feels so "Weak"/"Spongy".

bahram 10-10-2018 02:28 AM

...I remind something else...

As of from the start when I drove the car out of the dealers showroom (Sept-2009) I saw some spots of brake oil on the ABS-block. First I thought that the ABS was leaking. After a couple of times that the dealer looked to this issue they discovered that the Brake oil reservoir was leaking from the cap. After consultation of the Opel/Saturn importer in the Netherlands they advised me to keep the brake oil level just a bit above the minimum level in the reservoir. [their clarification was that Opel had used the wrong reservoir from the stock in this model].
Since then this problem was solved. Does anyone recognize this?

[I raise this question just to make sure that I didn't miss anything of your knowledge as specialists and Sky fans :-) ]

bahram 10-10-2018 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomatoSoup (Post 1286065)
Lots of threads on this, Bahram.

Easiest and best (cheap) upgrade is to replace the pads. Some use EBC, I used Hawks. Go to DDM's site and you can browse their pads and kits, and you know that what you get will fit: Saturn Sky

I have to get them to ship to NL. The transportation costs are high so I want to order the best ones. Which do you recommend most? The EBC/Red or the Hawk/Ceramic? or any other one.

JohnWR 10-10-2018 08:23 AM

If your problem is "spongy" brakes, the pads probably will not make a difference. Given your reservoir leak problem I suspect that you have air, moisture, or both in your lines. The reservoir itself should be the correct one, but maybe someone replaced the cap incorrectly, or damaged the seal. I suggest finding the real cause of the leak and fixing it, then replacing the fluid and thoroughly bleeding the lines. Only then would I look at new pads.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome