Car Battery - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Car Battery

3 quick questions guys.

1) What's the MAX supported battery size for our cars?
2) Are 60Ah enough?
3) Anyone has any past experience with Mitsuba batteries? Got a Hankook 2 years ago and it stopped working so getting another Hankook feels a bit off for me (the original battery was ok for 7 years) so i was thinking about Mitsuba. The manufacturer is Japanese and has good overall reputation but i've never used one of their batteries in the past.

Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
1. No idea. I found one that isn't the OEM size, but barely fit. I had to take the inner bracket off to get it in place, which wasn't necessary with the battery it replaced, and it fits with less than 1mm, but it fit.
2. Yes.
3. No. Most batteries are made by just a few major companies. I'd buy any one of them. The way to make it last longer is to either put it on a battery tender, or use a switch to disconnect it if you're leaving the car parked for a long time. Also, make sure there isn't a parasitic drain (aftermarket OEM radio integration kit or something) that's killing the battery.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
So why not go back to an ACDelco?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
1. No idea. I found one that isn't the OEM size, but barely fit. I had to take the inner bracket off to get it in place, which wasn't necessary with the battery it replaced, and it fits with less than 1mm, but it fit.
2. Yes.
3. No. Most batteries are made by just a few major companies. I'd buy any one of them. The way to make it last longer is to either put it on a battery tender, or use a switch to disconnect it if you're leaving the car parked for a long time. Also, make sure there isn't a parasitic drain (aftermarket OEM radio integration kit or something) that's killing the battery.
Never seen anyone use a battery tender here and as for the button yeah I've thought about that but i need to find an electrician to do it for me. In any case picking up a new battery is not easy, not many are "compact" like the one we have and i can't find official size specs anywhere.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
So why not go back to an ACDelco?
That model is not sold anywhere here.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
People use battery tenders all the time here. Furthermore, I realize our battery size is hard to find, but have you tried Menards? That's where I've gotten mine. If they dont carry it, they'll order it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Never seen anyone use a battery tender here and as for the button yeah I've thought about that but i need to find an electrician to do it for me. In any case picking up a new battery is not easy, not many are "compact" like the one we have and i can't find official size specs anywhere.
I use a battery tender during the winter and it works great. Plug it in and hook it up, I am far from an electrician....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Also, we take group 86 or 25, your local parts store should have it on the shelf.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
People use battery tenders all the time here. Furthermore, I realize our battery size is hard to find, but have you tried Menards? That's where I've gotten mine. If they dont carry it, they'll order it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
Also, we take group 86 or 25, your local parts store should have it on the shelf.
I think you guys have missed the fact that NikK is in Greece. Different stores, and different standards.
mstrjon32 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
......... i can't find official size specs anywhere.
Nik,

A Group 86 battery is 230mm long x 173mm wide x 203mm high

A Group 25 battery is 230mm long x 175mm wide x 225mm high (I am guessing, obviously, but I think this is the size that mstrjon found that barely fit.)

Note that the height includes the terminal posts.
NikK likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 12-02-2019 at 12:14 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I think you guys have missed the fact that NikK is in Greece. Different stores, and different standards.
I did miss that, my apologies!

My other car is a JDM only vehicle and no parts carried here in the US, but international lookups are available, despite parts nonexistent. I know the struggle here....

While we will do our best to help, I encourage the OP to use rockauto.com and amazon.com, and cross to aliexpress, etc. many of our parts are cross listed to other manufacturers. Brace for international shipping.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Just measure the battery (or take the ones given from above) and go down to the shop with the measurements, find one slightly smaller and you should be OK. I've had the not-exact battery in my car for the past five years, it's been fine. Also, check that the poles are in the correct place, not all batteries have the same orientation.

Regarding the cut off, you can just get a thing like this:

I have one on my car, if it's going to be parked for more than a few days I just open the cut off and there is no chance of battery drain.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in