Charge pipes for BOV's - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Charge pipes for BOV's

I notice Dejon back in the day was one of the only ones making charge tubes of the intake that had the flange for a BOV. I was looking to get the synapse BOV since it seems to work the best for these cars but DDM and RPMs tubes i see no spot to put the BOV. I figured i would ask because you guys would have more knowledge as its been done a few times, am i missing something? I was looking to order the RPM stage 2 pack pretty soon so am still getting my plans together.

2008 Sky Redline - Charge Pipes, Intake, Trifecta, DDM Short shifter, Solo Exhaust, Solo HF Downpipe, DDM braces, Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk pads and PAW SS lines.
2016 Sierra 1500 - Daily/ Tow vehicle
2011 Ninja 1000
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Garage
Unless you are doing some serious mods to the car, the BOV that works best is the one they came with (in the turbo), and changing it won't get you much but possible issues.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Garage
wspohn is right.

If you're getting the RPM Stage 2 kit, I believe it comes with a new intake. Try that out first and see what you think of the sound you get with it. Folks think I have a vent to atmosphere blow off valve on my K04 equipped 2.4 car but really it's just the stock recirculating bypass valve on the K04. The intake I have makes the blow off sound FAR more noticeable.

For my setup, I could have gone with an external BOV since my MAF is in the cold side charge pipe. However, the LNF places the MAF in the intake before the turbo so your air is already measured coming into the engine before it gets compressed by the turbo. If you vent that metered air to atmosphere, it can throw off the computer. It can be done, but it's not as simple as a MAP based fueling system where you can just throw on a BOV and be done.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Hahn makes them, but like Robo and Wspohn said, they aren't recommended and are WAY more trouble. The car is extremely hard to tune with them. You really need to know what you're doing and many "good" tuners here have gone back to the recirculating systems because of all of the issues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballsofpaint View Post
I notice Dejon back in the day was one of the only ones making charge tubes of the intake that had the flange for a BOV. I was looking to get the synapse BOV since it seems to work the best for these cars but DDM and RPMs tubes i see no spot to put the BOV. I figured i would ask because you guys would have more knowledge as its been done a few times, am i missing something? I was looking to order the RPM stage 2 pack pretty soon so am still getting my plans together.
We used the Synapse BOV on all of the 2871 kits in the past. It has become harder and harder to get those BOV's though and we are switching over to another option now. As for the BOv flange on the charge tube, we do that pretty often on our charge tubes, it is not an option on our website, but if you give a call or send an email to - [email protected], we can do that for you.

Let us know if there is anything else we can answer or help you with.
Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I know these cars are difficult to use with many BOV but like DDM said the synapse has shown to work well with the car. I also dont mind using a different re-circ one since thats where issues, if present, show themselves. My 3000GT had a similar setup with the BOV on the MAF side.

My inner ricer also wants the sound, so theres that. I wasnt planning on doing the BOV right away, but id rather buy charge tubes that have a flange already so it can be an option later if i wanted. I will see how the intake, tubes, DP sound together and then go from there. Ill send you a PM Dave, thanks.

2008 Sky Redline - Charge Pipes, Intake, Trifecta, DDM Short shifter, Solo Exhaust, Solo HF Downpipe, DDM braces, Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk pads and PAW SS lines.
2011 Ninja 1000
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Garage
We were going to go Synapse on my GF's Veloster Turbo but like Dave mentioned, it seems like production on them has come almost to a halt. Last I checked, vendors on the Veloster side hadn't been receiving them for about 4 months and the promised "delivery date" kept getting pushed back every month. It's really a nice BOV setup. We wound up going HKS on her setup. She likes it, all that matters. She calls the BOV sound and her exhaust tone her "joy". LOL No sound, no joy, and if she has no joy, I have no joy...LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Concerning issues with how it runs. Any recirculating BOV should be fine right? I know the HKS SSQ has a recirculating kit you can buy with it, and turbosmart, tial, ect all have types that can recirculate. It seems thats what hinders most people here from trying.

2011 Ninja 1000

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in