Dash lights - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dash lights

Dash lights dim and disappear then for no reason they come back on . Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have not seen it for "no reason", but the reason sometimes isn't obvious. Can you be more descriptive about what is going on?
Are you moving or sitting still? Are they set to very bright or very dim? Is is fully night, or at dawn and dusk?
Any additional information should help.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
The obvious answer is the dimmer switch. People hit that with their knee all the time and accidentally change the brightness of the lights.

Now, if that isn't what's happening here, then what JohnWR said. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The obvious answer is the dimmer switch. People hit that with their knee all the time and accidentally change the brightness of the lights.
I thought I was the only dork doing this.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line, Midnight Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I thought I was the only dork doing this.
LOL...Nope, do it all the time and in the early days we would get this question often. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I notice that when the auto lights come on the brightness of the displays goes down, it is especially difficult if the sun is for behind. Shut off the auto lights seems to work or I turn up the brightness all the way then back down when it is dark. i do get the feeling that they are dimmer but it may be just the lights going on automatically.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I think there may be more to it. My sky was off the road for a year but I never had that hard of a time reading the DIC, or whatever its called. Flash forward a year and everything is dim on max setting. In my old mercs the dimmer pot was always a wear failure...wondering if it is the same here? Before this summer i literally NEVER turned the auto lights off to see the gauges. Maybe a reset or switch wear failure. No "solution" but to test in this case.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg2009 View Post
I notice that when the auto lights come on the brightness of the displays goes down, it is especially difficult if the sun is for behind. Shut off the auto lights seems to work or I turn up the brightness all the way then back down when it is dark. i do get the feeling that they are dimmer but it may be just the lights going on automatically.
The brightest setting for the DIC and radio when the headlights are on is not as bright as when the headlights are off, so what you are seeing is pretty normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
I think there may be more to it. My sky was off the road for a year but I never had that hard of a time reading the DIC, or whatever its called. Flash forward a year and everything is dim on max setting. In my old mercs the dimmer pot was always a wear failure...wondering if it is the same here? Before this summer i literally NEVER turned the auto lights off to see the gauges. Maybe a reset or switch wear failure. No "solution" but to test in this case.
The dimmer switch does not directly dim the lights, so there is a lot less stress on it and it is unlikely to fail the same way that the old ones did. Possible, but unlikely.

Are the gauge lights dimmer than they used to be? They are controlled by the dimmer just as the displays are. If they are not getting as bright you could have a dimmer problem, but if they still get bright, you probably don't.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's usually when the car is moving and bright sunlight is present. Lights go dim and return as fast as they leave I'm not hitting the switch with knee. Does this have anything to do with the light sensor mounted in the dash?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
When u turn on the engine...shut your running lights....everything will stay bright. You do not need running lights in the daytime. It was such a stupid law they passed.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaptiste22 View Post
It's usually when the car is moving and bright sunlight is present. Lights go dim and return as fast as they leave I'm not hitting the switch with knee. Does this have anything to do with the light sensor mounted in the dash?
It could be, but mine do not react that quickly. Also, are you referring to the lights in the gauges, or the digital displays in the radio and the DIC in the instrument cluster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
When u turn on the engine...shut your running lights....everything will stay bright. You do not need running lights in the daytime. It was such a stupid law they passed.
I disagree, since I find cars with DRLs to be much easier to see in many lighting conditions. Two of those are sunny days on the roads with intermittent tree cover that we have a lot of here, and misty, dim, gray days.

They are really a benefit when driving around those idiots that don't recognize that it is dark or that visibility is otherwise bad. Sometimes lights are more important for being seen than they are for seeing, and there is no downside to having them on all of the time.
Rusty Boltz likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
It could be, but mine do not react that quickly. Also, are you referring to the lights in the gauges, or the digital displays in the radio and the DIC in the instrument cluster?

I disagree, since I find cars with DRLs to be much easier to see in many lighting conditions. Two of those are sunny days on the roads with intermittent tree cover that we have a lot of here, and misty, dim, gray days.

They are really a benefit when driving around those idiots that don't recognize that it is dark or that visibility is otherwise bad. Sometimes lights are more important for being seen than they are for seeing, and there is no downside to having them on all of the time.
I rather not have the lights on during the day...just me. And when the lights are off...u can see the radio much better...

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in