Differential Parts Problems: '08 Redline - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yogi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Differential Parts Problems: '08 Redline

My 2008 Redline was making clanking, rattling noises, so I took it to my local independent shop. He said that they do not work on Kappa driveline problems and to take it to a GM dealer.

Service writer at the dealer called me back this afternoon and said that the problem is in the differential, but GM no longer carries parts 'cause the car is 10 years old.

What is the name of that online parts supplier that everyone uses? is it gmpartsdirect.com? I'm looking for suggestions to give to the service writer to find the necessary parts.

Thanks,

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
gmpartsdirect is nothing more than a dealership that is willing to sell parts for rather cheap. It looks like you can still buy the entire differential for ~1600 plus shipping, but it sounds like you are trying to rebuild it.

I know with Gen 2 CTS-Vs they rear differential is a "non service" part, meaning that GM does not carry parts to rebuild them and never has.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
This site has some individual parts:

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...rimLevel=25919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
This subject just came up on the Solstice forum, as far as I know new differentials from GM are no longer available. However that doesn't mean that some dealer doesn't have a new old stock differential sitting on their shelf. Problem is there were several different differentials available depending on the options on the car.

I found this online awhile ago (can't remember where) that you can use as a reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Hey it was one of my own posts. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ential-155981/

GM Getrag Differential Buyer’s Guide
Must use 2005+ diffs, 03-04 have a smaller flange bolt pattern. All ratios are printed on a label on the
differential carrier.
***We are not responsible for any incorrect information on this chart, nor are we
responsible if you purchase the incorrect differential for your project. ***
G80 series limited slip GM part numbers:
3:23 – 25978162
3:42 – 25873500
3:73 – 25873497
3:91 –25968531

Per gmpartsdirect.com:
3.23: 25978162
Available in the following vehicles, RWD only
2005-2007 CTS Base 3.6L
2008-2009 SRX base 3.6L and 4.6L
2009 STS Base and Platinum 3.6L

3.42: 25873500
Available in the following vehicles, RWD only
2006-2007 CTS Base 2.8L and 3.6L
2005-2006 STS Base 3.6L

*3.73: 25873497
Available in the following vehicles:
RWD manual transmission
2006-2007 CTS Base 2.8L or CTS-V
2006-2007 CTS-V 6.0L
RWD manual or automatic transmission
2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007-2010 Saturn Sky RL

*3.91 25968531
Available in the following vehicles:
2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice, Base with G80 RPO Code
2007-2010 Saturn Sky Base with G80 RPO Code
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Garage
Also depending on where you live check out car-part.com. It's a junkyard finder of parts so to speak. Limited coverage but that is one other source of spare parts.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, Amorget, Chop Top and Robo!

I have an extended warranty with "Endurance" and their inspector was supposed to look at it today, but he had not reported his results as of 4 PM today. I hope to find out on Monday.

They had better search all of these alternatives before they look in any junk yards!

Yogi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Latest Update:
The "Independent Inspector" hired by my warranty co. (Endurance) took a look at my car last week but he did not get his report back to Endurance for approval until Monday. He had put a stethoscope to it and told the dealer that the driveshaft was the problem, NOT the differential!

So, the search began for a new DS. I kept bugging the Service Writer every day, and yesterday, Fri morning (2/1), he said that it had been 72 hours with no response from the GM Parts Network, so they were going to get one from LKQ! I told him that it had better be Rebuilt b/c I DID NOT want a "Salvage" DS.

Later yesterday afternoon, I was checking my email and I had a response from "wholesalegmpartsonline.com" (recommended above by Amorget) and they said that they had a new GM DS in stock!

It was 4:30 PM and I tried to contact the Service Writer but my call just went to his voicemail. Since it was so late, I called the dealer's Parts Dept and asked to talk to whomever was working to find a DS for a Saturn Sky. A guy named "Buck" picks up the phone and I give him the info where to find a DS. Buck says he has never heard of that wholesalegm...etc. and he will call me back.

Well whadduknow? Ol' Buck calls me back and says that he has "FOUND" a DS in a GM warehouse in Lansing, MI! What a coincidence!! It only took him 3 (or was it 4) days to find it! Such GREAT service! The only reason that I took my car to this dealer is that they used to be a Pontiac dealer, and I "THOUGHT" that they MIGHT still have some leftover Kappa service and parts expertise. Apparently not!

Anyway, Buck ordered the new DS from Lansing and said that it will arrive next week, between Mon and Wed, "But you know that they are having a lot of cold weather problems up there!" Yeah, right, Buck! Now go back to sleep, or whatever you were doing!

Thanks again, Amorget!

Yogi
Amorget likes this.

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels

Last edited by Yogi; 02-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in