Dissapointed in Trifecta budget tune - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Dissapointed in Trifecta budget tune

Added this to my 09 RL along with a solo HFC.

It took a month for it to arrive and I was told I needed a laptop to install the tune, of which I didn't have. I was also told there would be some info I needed to pull from the car to forward to Trifecta first before I would get the tune. I did not know that part before buying the product. I thought it would be similar to a tune for my Tacoma that came with an actual tuner that was simply plug and play after I let the tuner know what mods were on the truck. Not so on this product.

The few folks I found with a laptop where not willing to help load the tune, fearing it would damage their laptop. My contact at Trifecta suggested I simply buy a used laptop with windows 8/10. That would have been an adventure as I'm not real techy.

Took it to a shop who does tunes. He thought it somewhat difficult to follow the prompts from Trifecta and get what info they wanted and then email it to them. Not a smooth process. Lack of directions when the product arrived add to the problem as well as not having a phone number to actually speak with someone. Imo not the way to run a business.

It took a total of 4 hours at the shop (hence the suggestion to buy my own laptop I suppose, which I would never use again). Ended up costing me $132 as the shop luckily didn't charge me while we sat and waited for the tune to be sent.

Checked the hp readout on the aeroforce gauge before and after and although I'm not sure of its accuracy in exact hp, at least it gave me a before and after showing a gain of only 25hp. Ouch. Boost went from 17lbs to 23lbs max but the car doesn't really feel that much more spirited. Maybe it was the warmer temps of about 15 degrees? I guess when I get down from 7000' to Phx maybe it'll feel stronger, but so far...a little dissapointed in the whole experience.

Last edited by dbs1; 09-27-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Did u really believe u have a LS7 engine in your car? Every new car is faster than your Sky.
Pilate likes this.

Last edited by marlboromike; 09-28-2018 at 02:00 AM.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Did u really believe u have a LS7 engine in your car? Every new car is faster than your Sky.
Well that`s not true , the Redline/GXP with trifecta is quite quick. Never-the-less, this thread is comical!

Bert
Pilate likes this.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
I loaded the canned Trifecta tune last summer and the entire process took about 20 minutes. Been very happy!
Pilate and Tweetybird like this.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
MM. I'm new here, but I've seen some of your posts and your reputation of being a jackass for busting folks who post here. Not sure why you feel to do that, but some folks apparantly like the feeling it gives them.

I'm no stranger to fast cars, having had several in the 600-900hp range, and modding several including a C6 Z06 with an LS7 that was one of the slower cars I've owned. It sure doesn't make me an expert in any way, especially when it comes to the sky that I'm completely new to.

I simply posted my experience with the Trifecta tune so that anyone else considering it has some information to go on. From several other posts it seemed the tune should have showed another 15-25hp.

I don't expect the sky to ever be a rocket ship. The vettes and early camaros were better on the road course and dragstrip then this new little car will ever be, so I'm aware what the sky is and what it isn't. It doesn't mean I'm disqualified from posting my experiences with this car. Thanks.

And if reports are true that this car can run high to mid 13's, MM please do tell me all the models of every manufacturer that are quicker than that. A slight exaggeration I suppose. No doubt that in today's market there are several that are quicker/faster, but ALL new cars...you may be more knowledgeable than I thought? Or not...
marlboromike likes this.

Last edited by dbs1; 09-28-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Garage
It obviously loaded properly as your boost went up. And it gives far more than the factory GMPP tune does. Not sure what you thought it would do, but the difference is profound - verified by quite a few before and after dynos on various people's cars.

Sorry it disappointed you. It sure worked well for me!

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post

I'm no stranger to fast cars, having had several in the 600-900hp range, and modding several including a C6 Z06 with an LS7 that was one of the slower cars I've owned. It sure doesn't make me an expert in any way, especially when it comes to the sky that I'm completely new to:
Per dbs1's experience with HP noted above, he WILL have a tough time noticing a big power difference in the Kappa tunes.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
MM. I'm new here, but I've seen some of your posts and your reputation of being a jackass for busting folks who post here. Not sure why you feel to do that, but some folks apparantly like the feeling it gives them.
It's not a good day if Mike isn't busting balls!

Bert
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 PM

Case in point! Today is a good day!

Bert

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ml#post1285683
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Checked the hp readout on the aeroforce gauge before and after and although I'm not sure of its accuracy in exact hp, at least it gave me a before and after showing a gain of only 25hp. Ouch. Boost went from 17lbs to 23lbs max but the car doesn't really feel that much more spirited. Maybe it was the warmer temps of about 15 degrees? I guess when I get down from 7000' to Phx maybe it'll feel stronger, but so far...a little dissapointed in the whole experience.
If you're at 7,000' seeing 23 psi and saw the 17 psi in Phoenix...that's not the tune making that change, its the ECM allowing more boost to compensate for the thinner air in order to make the target torque level it's trying to hit. Same with the HP reading...if your base reading was in Phoenix, a 25 hp increase at 7,000 feet is substantial.

All that said, the Trifecta base tune has the ability to turn the tune on and off. It's something fairly unique from what I've experienced. No other car I know of or aftermarket tune does this (of course my experience across car model/brands when it comes to tuning is VERY limited sooooooo). I believe you can choose when you order the tune what you use to turn the tune on and off.

It almost sounds like your tune is turned off as 25 whp is what one would expect from the downpipe change (15-30 is usually the general consensus for that one). This would definitely feel underwhelming.

Of course, considering your background I'm not sure even the normal experience most talk about is going to be the same reaction you'll have. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Garage
If he has the switchable tune and it was turned off, I doubt he'd see boost pressures that high even at altitude......

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
If he has the switchable tune and it was turned off, I doubt he'd see boost pressures that high even at altitude......
Agreed, he would never see the 23psi reported if the tune was disabled. I also have the budget tune and been very satisfied with it. I went from 18psi to 24psi and got the kick in the pants I expected. I chose to control my tune via cruise control on/off but I know other buttons can be assigned.

Was it made clear if the tune was applied to an auto or a stick? I have a stick and my understanding is that the performance gain is a little better in a stick.

I have to say that the lack of understanding in what it would take to apply the tune is a little alarming, which demonstrates a lack of research before purchasing/performing the tune.

It used to be that you had to rent or buy the USB cable that is used to connect the OBDII port to a portable/luggable computer, but now I think the cable is included which in itself is a $150 saving. I found it very easy to install the supplied software and to perform the update to my Redline.

The very fact that dbs1 does not own a computer (which is his right and kudos for not owning one in this day and age) should have paused him for thought before investing in this tune, or at least finding someone who is confident enough to install the software and hook up a USB cable without fear that the computer will experience a meltdown. This installation is no more complex than installing a printer driver in my opinion.

My cost was $200 for the tune and for that price I had to accept the responsibility for getting the tune installed myself, regardless of outcome, and most people have reported great success with installing and using this tune.

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
There is years of information on the trifecta tune, [and all tunes for the Kappa] and how it needs to be loaded from a laptop.
Same goes for the expected HP gains from it, exhausts and a high flow cat.

Should have spent more time researching tunes vs M.M.

a little bit of research, or simply asking a question about it on this forum could have saved a lot of time.

Never AssUme anything.

For the Budget tune 25HP is about right.
Compare that to the GMPP tune.
260HP stock to 290HP with the GMPP tune. The bigger increase was in torque

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Way to destroy our dreams mike...Every new car is faster than our Sky?
You should change your nickname to Oppenheimer :P

PS: Actually most new cars up to 2 liters are slower. The only new car that i am a bit "jealous" is the Mercedes A-Class 45 AMG which has 366hp from a 2 liter engine....But it's not convertible so you win some and you lose some....
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Garage
The GMPP was worth 30 bhp and the basic Trifecta was in the 70 bhp range, i.e. around 330 bhp, according to dynos done by members after changing the tune.

Here is a 9 page thread on the Trifecta tune.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...amazing-67724/

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in