Dual Problem - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I would throw up a theory here... a poor ground strap contact. You started the engine and the starter moved a bit, caused the ground point to fail briefly, which effectively turned the car off. Needles moved as they would when turning car on/off.

If it starts happening again, go round checking all the engine/bay ground point contacts.

The above is just a theory - could also be the battery
Will do but that doesn't explain the first issue....If i'm lucky and its a battery / ground issue good but i am worried because of the first thing.....
In any case the car didn't record any codes and the engine light is not turned on so that's good i guess.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Will do but that doesn't explain the first issue....If i'm lucky and its a battery / ground issue good but i am worried because of the first thing.....
In any case the car didn't record any codes and the engine light is not turned on so that's good i guess.
Ohhh, my bad. I read the two things as happening at the same time

The second one then points more to the battery.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "misfire" issue. Neither of these things is the symptom of a misfire.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Ohhh, my bad. I read the two things as happening at the same time

The second one then points more to the battery.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "misfire" issue. Neither of these things is the symptom of a misfire.
Well never had a missfire with the car so i don't even know what it does when that happens so since i turned the key and the engine didn't start i thought this could be it.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
When you encountered it the first time, you mentioned it lurched forward. It was in neutral (and/or clutch was depressed)? Am I understanding that right? I would be much more concerned about the clutch engaging while it shouldn't have.

Second instance seems clear. I'd still say battery connection or ground wire, as others pointed out. If the car lurched forward, it could have unsettled the battery or knocked something loose.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Quote:
Well never had a missfire with the car so i don't even know what it does when that happens so since i turned the key and the engine didn't start i thought this could be it.
Symptoms of misfire is usually rough running of the engine, especially on acceleration. Not failure/problems with starting.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...sis-and-repair

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
When you encountered it the first time, you mentioned it lurched forward. It was in neutral (and/or clutch was depressed)? Am I understanding that right? I would be much more concerned about the clutch engaging while it shouldn't have.

Second instance seems clear. I'd still say battery connection or ground wire, as others pointed out. If the car lurched forward, it could have unsettled the battery or knocked something loose.
Like i said i came back, parked the car, put it on neutral (natural), left it running for a couple of minutes and when i turned the key to the off possition the car made a sudden movement for like a split second similar to that movement it would do if i turned it on with a gear in the shifter.

As for the 2nd if it ever does it again i will take it to the dealership.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Like i said i came back, parked the car, put it on neutral (natural), left it running for a couple of minutes and when i turned the key to the off possition the car made a sudden movement for like a split second similar to that movement it would do if i turned it on with a gear in the shifter.

As for the 2nd if it ever does it again i will take it to the dealership.
Thank you - just trying to make sure I understand. Did it jump forward (like if you suddenly let out the clutch in gear and stalled it) or sort of quickly but violently die?

Reason I'm asking is because if it was a forward motion, that's a driveline issue and probably unrelated. A weird shutdown would be electrical and could be related. If it happened when you're turning the key it could be an ignition switch issue, or still I would not count out a bad ground or connection somewhere as our cars are so sensitive to electrical changes.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
Thank you - just trying to make sure I understand. Did it jump forward (like if you suddenly let out the clutch in gear and stalled it) or sort of quickly but violently die?

Reason I'm asking is because if it was a forward motion, that's a driveline issue and probably unrelated. A weird shutdown would be electrical and could be related. If it happened when you're turning the key it could be an ignition switch issue, or still I would not count out a bad ground or connection somewhere as our cars are so sensitive to electrical changes.
It just felt like the engine shut down hard so it made a weird movement but no it didn't try to move forward or backwards.
Kinda reminded me of the trucks we had in the army which when you turned the ignition to turn them off their engines would make sudden movements.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
A bad motor mount? (I would expect symptoms should be consistent, though)
Does the engine noticeably rock when unloading it?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
A bad motor mount? (I would expect symptoms should be consistent, though)
Does the engine noticeably rock when unloading it?
Nah, only happened once so far and only when i turned it off.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it seems it was a problem with the battery after all, or better yet with the poles.

The car wouldn't start yesterday so i pushed the cables attached to the poles and voila.....Don't know why that hapened however.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you found it Nikk. Our cars do strange things when they have battery related issues.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in