GM Stage 2 kit - Just the Facts - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
SKY-DOGY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is on the way, so I guess I'll be one of the test subjects. Even more critical will be my wife, and I'm not going to tell her to see if she notices.

2008 Sky RedLine, Yellow, single disc MonSoon, 3 pedals. GMPP tune, # 135 of 2008.

2008 Saturn Aura XE V6. Bronze Pewter.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 extended cab dually diesel.

2007 Kawasaki Mule 3010 4X4
SKY-DOGY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
GS Stage 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine is on the way as well. We did not order one for the wife's car. Both vehicles are completely stock with no upgrades and identical five speed redlines, except color. lol So I should be able to report back a pretty good comparison between the stock and upgrade.
GS Stage 1 is offline  
post #33 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
dengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: solsticeforum.com
Posts: 1,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You may want to edit the prices in the first post. I believe the dealer list price has gone up to $750.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solli4me
Would anyone like a hamster? I already asked Reed but he politely declined....
dengel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
RickyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Katy TX
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Good luck with this!

Come on people get real! You are all smarter than this.
Yes it is a great upgrade and fun to have but!!
With all the warranty issues people have had. Different stereos/ any electrical changes, ECM tunes, exhaust, etc. There has been tons of warranties canceled due to almost any change to the car. If the dealer sells it and installs it the local dealer usually will warranty it but that is a local thing the dealers do. The dealer pays for any problems not GM.

Myself, in about 2-3 weeks am pretty much wiping out my warranty as soon as I get my DDM stage II installed.

I sold auto parts for almost 15 years so I am not just blowing smoke.

We all know that GM and most dealers will try to and usually succeed in canceling your warranty.

Don't be fooled by the statement the your factory warranty is not effected. If you go ask your dealer, in most cases, you will find out other wise. Also be careful with the install. Not just anybody can do it.

See quote below.

"19212670 Performance Upgrade Kit for Solstice, GXP.SKY, HHR



Applicable: 2007, 2008, 2009 Solstice GXP/SKY RedLine

Installation labor: not included. Guideline is 1 hour installation.

Premium fuel is REQUIRED with this kit.

This performance upgrade enables no-lift shift feature.

This kit needs to be installed by a dealer and reflashed by the dealer. It does not void any warrantys. "



You can read and believe what you want but when the factory voids you're warranty don't be surprised.
RickyD is offline  
post #35 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
GS Stage 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would agree that any aftermarket ECM tune could, and most likely would, void the GM warranty, even if you had your dealership do the install. I consulted at length with my dealership about the tune (Westers I believe) sold by Saturn Motorsports, and my dealership is the local source for Saturn Motorsports. LMAO. But when official word came down about the warranty issue, I got the "Well technicality it could void the power train warranty, but we have never had any issues (from SM, and GM agreed)", my local dealership was not willing to cover.

But with the official GM produced and installed tune, all indications are that the GM warranty is not effected. If memory serves, they did the same thing with an upgrade for the original Ion Redlines. Perhaps one of the GM guys could chime in here with some official GM publication stating warranty preservation? Or refer us to someone that could provide us that documentation. It did sound like there may be some kind of literature in the kit packet addressing this issue as well.
GS Stage 1 is offline  
post #36 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As the kit says, a legitimate install will not affect your powertrain warranty.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM rep., all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

I am a proud Solstice GXP owner (Flash). My wife, A FORMER GM engineer, is a proud Solstice GXP Coupe owner (Wicked).
Flash's Owner is offline  
post #37 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
Rewritten so as to continue to be a fact based thread. I apoligize for the conjecture in the OP.




Reread that section, it makes more sense now. The advertised HP numbers are lower than those advertised by aftermarket tuners. Until two tunes are on the same car on the same dyno in the same conditions we won't have a 100% accurate comparison number.
This is exactly why I have posted my vehicle performance numbers with the kit. Dyno numbers vary considerably, with large differences over 20 rwhp claimed that simply do not measure up when you actually do get a vehicle at a track and measure its true performance. Since my data comes from a Vbox III, I do not have a 'slip' per se, but the data is accurate.

I also keep track of conditions, ambient temperature, altitude, reported local baro, and dewpoint. I try to run my tests at a 1400'-2000' density altitude.


Also, you may want to change the name of the kit. It is not a 'stage kit', it is officially a "Performance Upgrade Kit".

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM rep., all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

I am a proud Solstice GXP owner (Flash). My wife, A FORMER GM engineer, is a proud Solstice GXP Coupe owner (Wicked).

Last edited by Flash's Owner; 12-13-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Flash's Owner is offline  
post #38 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Member
 
Elff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Keebler, PA
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like I will have to call back on Monday.
There is a special number the dealerships have to call to order it.

So I will find out on Monday.
WOOT!!

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME

Last edited by Elff; 12-13-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Elff is offline  
post #39 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Sky_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Looks like I will have to call back on Monday.
There is a special number the dealerships have to call to order it.

So I will find out on Monday.
WOOT!!
Coool, 'cuz my dealers waiting to order mine, but it doesn't yet appear in his system.
Sky_Pilot is offline  
post #40 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
G8TR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Looks like I will have to call back on Monday.
There is a special number the dealerships have to call to order it.

So I will find out on Monday.
WOOT!!
Can somebody post the number that the dealerships have to call? Would be nice for everyone to have it to give to their dealer. Mine keeps saying that since they are not a GM Performance dealer that they probably won't be able to get it.

Riding High In My Sky
G8TR is offline  
post #41 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
T1T2GRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well here it goes...

I got mine from crateenginedepot.com. It's in the shop as we speak. The head service tech told me that mine is the first one . I have faith in them. They haven't wronged me yet.

"I ain't never seen a hearse with a luggage rack."- George Strait
T1T2GRE is offline  
post #42 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
fr0stb1t3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Highland Park, Texas
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fr0stb1t3
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8TR View Post
Can somebody post the number that the dealerships have to call? Would be nice for everyone to have it to give to their dealer. Mine keeps saying that since they are not a GM Performance dealer that they probably won't be able to get it.
There is no special number they have to call, I talked to my dealership already. They can not use their systems to lookup the information on the parts, but they can submit the order with the part number without ever looking it up and it will go through.
fr0stb1t3 is offline  
post #43 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 4,147
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Come on people get real! You are all smarter than this.
Yes it is a great upgrade and fun to have but!!
With all the warranty issues people have had. Different stereos/ any electrical changes, ECM tunes, exhaust, etc. There has been tons of warranties canceled due to almost any change to the car. If the dealer sells it and installs it the local dealer usually will warranty it but that is a local thing the dealers do. The dealer pays for any problems not GM.

Myself, in about 2-3 weeks am pretty much wiping out my warranty as soon as I get my DDM stage II installed.

I sold auto parts for almost 15 years so I am not just blowing smoke.

We all know that GM and most dealers will try to and usually succeed in canceling your warranty.

Don't be fooled by the statement the your factory warranty is not effected. If you go ask your dealer, in most cases, you will find out other wise. Also be careful with the install. Not just anybody can do it.

See quote below.

"19212670 Performance Upgrade Kit for Solstice, GXP.SKY, HHR



Applicable: 2007, 2008, 2009 Solstice GXP/SKY RedLine

Installation labor: not included. Guideline is 1 hour installation.

Premium fuel is REQUIRED with this kit.

This performance upgrade enables no-lift shift feature.

This kit needs to be installed by a dealer and reflashed by the dealer. It does not void any warrantys. "



You can read and believe what you want but when the factory voids you're warranty don't be surprised.
I am resisting the urge to comment on your style and the idiocy in your post but am taking the high road.

The dealers love to do warranty work. They get PAID by GM for doing the work. It is profit to them. Also, they have an opportunity to upsell you with more service and build a relationship so you are more likely to bring them the car and your business in the future.

The warranty is made by GM not the dealer. GM decides and GM pays.

If the General states in writing that the Performance Upgrade is fully warrantied, then that means that they will pay to repair the kit components and will NOT void your warranty just and only because it has the kit installed.
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #44 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
snaponbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lee's Summit, Mo.
Posts: 2,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
I am resisting the urge to comment on your style and the idiocy in your post but am taking the high road.

The dealers love to do warranty work. They get PAID by GM for doing the work. It is profit to them. Also, they have an opportunity to upsell you with more service and build a relationship so you are more likely to bring them the car and your business in the future.

The warranty is made by GM not the dealer. GM decides and GM pays.

If the General states in writing that the Performance Upgrade is fully warrantied, then that means that they will pay to repair the kit components and will NOT void your warranty just and only because it has the kit installed.
Rob, RickyD's post is not really very far off. But, your "non-comment" WAS a comment. The "high road" would have been NO comment at all.

Having been IN and around the automotive trade since 1976, I can tell you that much of what he says is (at varying levels) correct. Having been on this and the Sol forums for over two years, it is clear that warranty STARTS at the dealer level - if they won't do it, it may not get done. Example: I installed a trailer hitch. GM has sent letters to Pontiac and Saturn dealers stating that the Kappa platform is NOT rated to tow ANYTHING, and thus towing can void the powertrain warranty. I have seen the letter. My store's Service Manager and I have shaken hands on the understanding that the hitch is for a bicycle rack!!! MANY threads on both forums have been started with a post about warranty compliance problems. I have seen all sorts of auto warranties voided, or claims denied, for the damnedest reasons by Ford, GM, Chrysler, and many import brands as well. Want another example? Subaru was looking at SCCA results to see who was racing WRX's and voiding their warranties. They were also voiding warranties if Subies were showing up at service departments WITH AFTERMARKET WHEELS !!!!!! And it stuck, too. There's more, too, but hopefully you see where I am going with this. That said, I do NOT agree with Rick's statement that most manufacturers TRY to void warranties. I just don't buy it.

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red,
complete option list except auto,
owner installed lock buttons,
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
snaponbob is offline  
post #45 of 212 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Elff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Keebler, PA
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting

After shipping Crates is cheaper by $5 even tho it's price is significantly higher for the part.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome