Saturn Sky Forum banner

Gray flaps won't open when top raised

14K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Gleasonfan 
#1 ·
The two gray flaps behind the seats don't always open when I put the top up. I'll have to juggle the roof and the trying to open the flaps. It looks like GM just ran down to JoAnn Fabrics and bought some cheap elastic ribbons to move them. Is it easy to repair / replace them?

2008 Sky RL
Auto tranny

#5 ·
Flap cables disconnected. How about that.

I happened to look at the flap on the drive side. The cable was just lying there. I put it back into the red plastic "bearing". When I looked at the passenger side, it also was just lying there so I put it back into the bearing. Question: Should this red plastic bearing be split lengthwise? Is it wise to drop some superglue on the cable to hold it in place?

#21 · (Edited)
Excellent find Sky Pilot! If I can't pull mine out of my car I can't order it!

--Strike that. OEMcats is a referral service that'll show you a list of parts distributors who carry the part. No parts themselves. I checked each one provided and they're all showing unavailable. Well, I'll just have to go fishing for my old part!

#22 ·
Let me save you all a lot of trouble. After looking on line at auto parts stores, in amazon, on ebay, and more, I found this simple little part at NAPA locally. It was ON THE SHELF and cost $4.00 for each side and the man was nice enough to clip them on Several of the references above are wrong. Try this, I just did it ONE hour ago. NAPA part # 735-2786. Get the right number, a number of these clips are out there and they are different sizes. Once on the car, the metal part being discussed above simply pushes into it.

#24 ·
Got the problem fixed and solved. I ordered a pair of Silverado tailgate handle rod clips, one left (red??) one green (right). Use some needle nose pliers to rip out the remains of the original clips, pushed the new ones into place and then threaded to cables thru. Slick as a whistle.

#25 ·
Update. The right clip is beginning to show stress lines at the "L" angle. Any way, is there a way to adjust the length of the flap cables? The flaps will only open between 70 deg. and 80 deg. so I still have to manually open the flaps, especially the right one, so the top will close.

#28 ·
FYI - I discovered that the plastic clips are the exact same critters GM used to connect the latch rods on their pick-up trucks. So, let's see...Seats - base Covertte. Tranny - Cadillac CTS. Roof flaps - GM pick-ups. Engine - Chevy Cavalier. I'm surprised they cars still run.

#38 ·
The cable is attached to the spindle on top pivot. I put rubber or plastic between cable and this pivot point. I remover rubber that i first used (did not hold up) and switched to plastic pipe. You only need about an 1 1/4 wide, i cut it down the middle so i have 2 pieces, one for each side. I attached them with double sided tape to keep in place. Spit plastic pipe with hacksaw before cutting to length. I’ll let everyone know how it works and if it lasts. If it doesn’t i may try metal pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.