Hard Downshifts - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Some minor downshifting in mine recently. Colder weather has had this effect before in mine. I expect it to happen now. First time it did it, shocked me. I read the threads, know about the fixes, so far its normal for me and my car. Not super bad, nothing throwing me or the car around, runs like that until it does warm up. Cold is cold for some of us. AND it is cold here.

IF mine gets worse more pronounced in anyway, then I will change out the intake/ext. cam sensors. I too have not heard or read about the TCM or other things resulting in hard down shift. Does not do it on mine, so far. My car takes a bit of time to warm up, then she is all go. Tire temps, brake pads, transmission, coolant, power steering... you in the cabin, until the heat gets working right, IF you are in colder weather sections of the country. Even if your not in the cold, go easy first few miles before you cut loose. I do, that's just me. In cold weather driving, everything takes time to heat up, even you. No racing at Summit Point this past holiday. Turkey Bowl canceled because of icy conditions. I knew that...

I let my car warm up until it's not warmed up. The hard shift down to 1st or 2nd is very minor for me now. I know about it, have experienced it before in winter, or on hill decent. Still the same since I bought it. No worse no better. Right now I can deal with it as it. You may not have that same thought with your car. Object are closer in the mirror than they appear... ever car is a little different than it's sister or brother out there. This one does hard shifts, this one not so much, this one not at all. This car has been fixed, still downshifts hard. This one has been fixed, no hard shifting ever again.

You can fix it, the dealer can fix it, IF it needs fixing here? Truck transmission in our cars. Bargin basement parts bins for us, cheap... not every thing has MB quality to it, know what I mean.. it is a Saturn after all. IF the TCM or BCM needs to be checked over by the dealer, ok then, they too like us owners know this IS a problem with our cars. There is history here.. with this issue of hard downshifts with the Kappa.

LAC
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I seldom drive my RL in cold weather, but today there was a need, about 15F. Car shifted hard, both downshifts and upshifts. I'm glad it wasn't slick, or it would have been hard to control. After 5 hours parked outside at night, I drove home, and the transmission shifted normally, even though the temp. was lower. We will watch and see what develops.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Here is an update on mine this winter. Been cold here, I have driven in this type of weather many times. The upshift from 1st to 2nd is minor when first starting out. Not hard in any sense. 2nd to 3rd.. even less so.

Under 32 degrees, under 25 miles per hour, with the HPFP not under any load, with a semi cold transmission it might do it. After all shifts in the first 3 miles of use, when the HPFP is under more load, nothing. Works fine. Yes the intake/exhaust cam solenoid should be changed out IF... you are having a head snapping experience downshift.

During warm weather... first upshift minor again with a rough feel to it. Then all shifts are normal. As for downshifting hard, this only happens to my car... yours and other will vary here, when under a steep downhill grade, with slowing and no load on the HPFP, IT might downshift hard from 2nd to 1st only. Once on flat surface, the shifting is normal. I think.. imo, outside of the cam servo replacement option, cold trans fluid or an uneven balance in the trans fluid levels, without load from the HPFP, the ECM could go in to protection mode to save the trans, assisting the braking? Maybe?

Been ok this winter.. cold start, warm up trans fluid, first upshift hard, then less as the trans fluid heats up to temps. IF mine had been worse this winter, due to their age, I would have replaced both parts by now. Weather is warming here... come on 65 degree's I'm ready....

Your car will be and act differently than mine does. Hard upshifting/downshifting check the replacement options for these parts asap.

LAC
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Updating original comment. I have had the car out 4 or 5 times so far this spring no long trips but about 450 total miles. The car has not repeated the hard downshift and no traction control warnings on the DIC. I have as I usually do turn the key to the run position for 8 or 10 seconds and let the DIC light up and do it's thing before the first start, hoping the electronics get to where they need to be before starting. So far so good runs and shifts great.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in