Havent got the seat switch fixed yet - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I was fortunate my working mat failed after the recall went into effect but before I had gone in for the fix.
Did you have to jump up and down on it, or was just standing on it sufficient.....

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My dealer makes sure that they have the tape ready for when they make the initial appointment, apparently since they know that they are going to need it in any case, and there is not a supply limitation for it. I assume that GM ordered enough for every car, plus some overage for errors.

If the sensor is working, they pull the seat, apply the tape, reassemble everything and you are done. 45 minutes sounds about right.

If the sensor is not working they order the new one and make a second appointment when they have it in hand. That change can also take about 45 minutes.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
When I started the thread, it was not about how long it takes, it was about the collateral damage and the wisdom of fixing something that wasnt broken.

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If it isn't broken they won't be fixing anything. What they will be doing is installing protection to make it less likely to break in the future.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Did you have to jump up and down on it, or was just standing on it sufficient.....
I can neither confirm nor deny that any such activity or activities took place...

Well, actually, I had swapped seats because I was getting my stock seats recovered in the orange/black covers. The temporary seats had a bad sensor so I took it in with those seats. When I was getting my seats back, I had them wait on assembling the passenger lower cushion until I was there and we swapped the new lower cushion in the loaner seat into the new seat cover that had been made using my old seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
When I started the thread, it was not about how long it takes, it was about the collateral damage and the wisdom of fixing something that wasnt broken.
Technically, you may have a damaged but functional sensor mat. If it is still working, the tape application will lengthen its life. However, my thinking is that if the mat has already started to tear, it will eventually fail tape or no tape. Unfortunately you cannot have them replace a working mat, only a failed one.

Looking through the documents on the recall last night I noticed that earlier remedies mentioned a "damaged or non-functioning" sensor mat while revised remedies now say a "non-functioning" sensor mat. Looks like GM figured out a mat could be damaged but functioning and the only way to inspect that would be to take the mat apart and check the 3D matrix itself for tears at which time the mat would not be able to be reassembled properly at a dealership. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in