Havent got the seat switch fixed yet - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Moderator
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
But your comment was "according to NHTSA they do" (implying.. expire you never even used the word) ... which is not true.

You did not choose a wrong word, you were replying to someone else and specifically inferred that NHTSA says they expire. WHICH IS FALSE.

Are you sure the 10 yr rule applies to recalls that happen after the 10yrs? I would assume GM and NHTSA have made an agreement about how long GM has to continue to support replacement of parts under the recall, but I have not heard what the timeline is.

And I don't know maybe Robo has seen how many of these new parts GM has made, and how long have they have agreed to keep them available, Does the 10yr clock restart? I have no clue.
Take that comment in the context of the conversation. It was a response to a response to the first comment I made. If you can't follow back that far I am sorry.

Am I sure about what happens? No. I can only relate my personal experience as it pertains to what we do here.

I will throw out this quote from an NBC news article:
Quote:
The statute of limitations, according to NHTSA, for all no-charge recall repairs is 10 years from the original sale date of the vehicle. However, one exception is tires. Tire recall repairs must be completed within 60 days of receiving a recall notice.
I have not checked out NHTSA's site myself, but that looks pretty definitive, unless NBC is lying.

But there is no resetting of the clock. 10 years from the date of sale of the vehicle is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
and to pile on ... I don't believe there is any requirement for warehousing all parts for all cars for 10yrs.

Here is an article from automotive news, they infer manufactures may try to have inventory for 6 -10 yrs but even that is getting to be not true.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...-car-good-luck

Here is a good breakdown of what is probably the only Law that applies and that is for a "warranty" https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...arts-for-a-set

"Parts"
A consequence is that vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide parts during the term of a warranty (if any) made at the time of sale. They need not make or stock these parts themselves.

Vehicle makers could choose not to do so, but then they would be required to provide a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the vehicle cost. In practice it is usually more cost effective for makers to procure replacement parts to effect a warranty repair.

A further consequence is therefore that replacement parts are also available to people who do not have a warranty claim.


So with most cars having 3yr bumper to bumper "most" parts only need to be available for 3 yrs. Powertrain and emission part warranties are longer.
Pile on all you want. It doesn't really affect me.

My facility fabricates automotive glazing, which is classified as a safety component. I do not have universal knowledge of the industry, and have assumed (dangerous I know) that other safety components are handled the same as ours.

We are required by our contracts to retain tooling for, and therefore the ability to make, parts for ten years after the end of production of any specific part. After that we are free to scrap whatever dedicated tooling that we have. In the cases where specific production lines have been built for a unique part we have elected to fabricate what we hope is a 10-year supply of that part so that the line can be dismantled. If we are approached for a larger quantity of the part than we have, or cannot otherwise supply it, we are responsible for whatever costs the OEM incurs because of that failure.

I really don't understand what the point of this discussion is. I made the comments that I did originally to warn people that parts may not always be available to satisfy this recall. If I am wrong then there is no harm to anyone, and they will be happy some years from now when they want to finally get their car fixed. But if I am right then there are going to be some seriously unhappy people, and there won't be anything that they can do about it.

What will you do when you demand satisfaction for a repair that cannot be made? You will be offered the book value for your car so that it can then be taken and crushed. Not very satisfactory in my mind.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-08-2019 at 04:48 PM.
JohnWR is online now  
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
wspohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
My understanding is the same as John's - they need to maintain parts inventory during warranty periods OR they would have to admit defaulting on the warranty and would buy back the car at then current value, which is unlikely to satisfy anyone.

In fact we are aware of one instance of a coupe being bought back and crushed because it was under warranty and an electronic module went out. GM had no inventory of the module and no prospect of having any in a reasonable time - the part in question came from a Japanese factory affected by the tsunami and ensuing radioactive spill in 2011 at Fukushima.

The recall we are talking about may well use up available parts to fix the sensors. Fix it or don't - everyone can make up their own mind, but no bitching about it if you later decide to do something once stocks run out and you are SOL. I am not aware of any law that would require GM to remanufacture new parts if they ran out.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline  
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,616
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
I really have no idea how this will work out when the current supply of parts is exhausted. I don't think IEE is making these mats anymore and don't know if anyone is making the replacement parts for them anymore. Since the last MY was 2009 and this recall came out before the 2009s were 10 years old perhaps GM did have a production base for the mats. How many they made or will they continue to make them? I have no idea.

Personally, if the mat is broken currently and you have the error, get it fixed. If you don't...I don't know what to say as i don't believe the simple tape the existing mat fix is going to cut it. We're already hearing of folks that got that fix done having the mat fail. Some are out of the 1 year recall warranty too and now are in the same boat they were before the recall...pay to replace it or leave it busted.

For those reading, if you ARE one of those folks who didn't have an active air bag error and got the tape put on your existing mat only to have that mat fail later...I STRONGLY urge you to file a complaint on the NHTSA website and be sure to describe what the circumstances were on your car.
marlboromike and JohnWR like this.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
I got the error a few months back, still that recall doesn't seem to be issued on this side of the Atlantic for the Opel GT.......
NikK is offline  
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,616
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
I got the error a few months back, still that recall doesn't seem to be issued on this side of the Atlantic for the Opel GT.......
I have no idea why the EU isn't issuing a recall on this. Would love to know why.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I have no idea why the EU isn't issuing a recall on this. Would love to know why.
Well Opel got bought by PSA (Citroen / Peugeot) a couple of years back so perhaps they know not what is happening on GM's part.

Of course that is no "legal" excuse so i contacted Opel on my end to see what the heck is happening.
NikK is offline  
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Moderator
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Someone in Europe mentioned on one of the forums that he went to GM Europe and got the recall done.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is online now  
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Someone in Europe mentioned on one of the forums that he went to GM Europe and got the recall done.
Europe is quite huge, not everything works as it should everywhere.

Plus how do you go to GM when Opel has been bought by PSA since 2017?

Anyways i contacted Opel Greece and Opel Germany, if they tell me go to GM that i shall do.
NikK is offline  
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Talked for quite a bit with Opel Greece today, it seems that since PSA bought Opel they no longer share the same system as GM so the recall is not in the system.

I was expecting more from a multi-billion corporation like PSA. What are they thinking, they should have kept access to GM systems for cases like this one.

Anyone remember who that guy was who claims that Opel accepted his car as part of the recall?
NikK is offline  
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM
Moderator
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Talked for quite a bit with Opel Greece today, it seems that since PSA bought Opel they no longer share the same system as GM so the recall is not in the system.

I was expecting more from a multi-billion corporation like PSA. What are they thinking, they should have kept access to GM systems for cases like this one.

Anyone remember who that guy was who claims that Opel accepted his car as part of the recall?
What I had read, and posted above, was that he contacted GM Europe, not Opel.

Here is a guy in Switzerland that is getting it fixed: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...9/#post1303581

Are you on the Solstice forum as 9ky ? His name is Nik also. Probably not if you are in Greece, as he is in Denmark!

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is online now  
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What I had read, and posted above, was that he contacted GM Europe, not Opel.

Here is a guy in Switzerland that is getting it fixed: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...9/#post1303581

Are you on the Solstice forum as 9ky ? His name is Nik also. Probably not if you are in Greece, as he is in Denmark!
Seems that this recall/fix has nothing to do with the seat switch however (it says drive axle).
NikK is offline  
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:57 AM
Moderator
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Seems that this recall/fix has nothing to do with the seat switch however (it says drive axle).
Rats. Sorry about that.
You are correct. I went back through every post I could find looking for the one about the seat sensor, and got blinded by "recall".
Still, a recall is a recall, and the process should be the same. Actually as this is a safety problem it should be easier.....

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
JohnWR is online now  
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Seat Sensor was recalled before the sale op Opel to PSA. Even when GM still owned Opel there was no recall for the Opel GT Seat Sensor, not in the US and not in Europe. Not in the US because the car was never sold in the US and not in Europe because it is possibly not regarded as a safety issue (there is a warning light).

Below what I did for my Pontiac Solstice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 at www.SolsticeForum.com
. . . When I imported my Solstice to Europe I contacted the National GM Head Quarters and asked them which dealer they recommended for service. They had two suggestions for my country.

The one I picked is Opel dealer (so he knows the GT) but also imports and services US cars like Cadillac , GMC and Corvette. So he knows where to get the information about the Solstice and also knows what to do, and not do, to my ride. For instance: They updated the TCM software and did the PPS recall for free. . . .
RedOne07 is offline  
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Seat Sensor was recalled before the sale op Opel to PSA. Even when GM still owned Opel there was no recall for the Opel GT Seat Sensor, not in the US and not in Europe. Not in the US because the car was never sold in the US and not in Europe because it is possibly not regarded as a safety issue (there is a warning light).

Below what I did for my Pontiac Solstice:
Trying to understand what you are saying, you say one thing on one part of your sentence and the exact opposite on the other.

Also the seat sensor not a safety issue in the EU? We have much tighter "regulations" than the US when it comes to car safety. This recall file should be on every Opel desk with LARGE URGENT LETTERS on it.
NikK is offline  
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,616
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Seat Sensor was recalled before the sale op Opel to PSA. Even when GM still owned Opel there was no recall for the Opel GT Seat Sensor, not in the US and not in Europe. Not in the US because the car was never sold in the US and not in Europe because it is possibly not regarded as a safety issue (there is a warning light).
Well keep in mind that it is a matter of semantics. The Sky Redline is the Opel GT in the states. While the Opel brand is not sold here, it doesn't realistically mean the car was not sold here, it just wasn't technically sold under THAT name.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome