Red Line Performance Suspension Kit - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Red Line Performance Suspension Kit

While using the Saturn SKY Red Line build-your-own site I noticed an option called "Performance Suspension Kit" for $1,584 described as follows: "The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks." Now since the Red Line is due to have an upgraded suspension including "four-wheel independent SLA suspension with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks" just what does the Performance Suspension Kit option achieve? I placed my order last week but was not aware of that option and would like some information before spending $1,600! I plan on having fun with my R/L and will drive aggressively at times but don't intend on racing or competitive events. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's a misprint. The Redline comes with the upgrade suspension.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK
While using the Saturn SKY Red Line build-your-own site I noticed an option called "Performance Suspension Kit" for $1,584 described as follows: "The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks." Now since the Red Line is due to have an upgraded suspension including "four-wheel independent SLA suspension with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks" just what does the Performance Suspension Kit option achieve? I placed my order last week but was not aware of that option and would like some information before spending $1,600! I plan on having fun with my R/L and will drive aggressively at times but don't intend on racing or competitive events. Any help would be appreciated.
My UNDERSTANDING was that the Redline performance suspension is not the same as the Dealer Installed Performance Suspension. The $1500.00 one is stiffer than the one that comes on the Redline.

MACH SKY
RL Auto(Stomp 'n Go),Tan/Tan 6 CD,XM,Chrome
Home 11/05/06
http://cafepress.com/wholesky
http://cafepress.com/RichDesign
http://richmcclelland.imagekind.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 04:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

It does come with an upgraded suspension, not as heavy as the dealer add on. The R/L suspension is between the stock & heavy. I love the heavy suspension on Serenity.

ERNEST

'04 Torch Red Corvette Coupe

'07 Corvette Z06 "Scarlett"
Victory Red
555.6 rwhp / 485.5 rwt N/A - No Spray

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM

it's possible that it just has slightly more aggressive anti-roll bars and higher rated springs then the RL's suspension...

I could definitely see going for such an upgrade on the base sky since the stock suspension was engineered for the cruiser and not the enthusiast. However, it would seem like a waste of money to purchase this on a RL. I wouldn't make that decision unless you're able to test drive a base sky with sport supension and a RL back to back.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
it's possible that it just has slightly more aggressive anti-roll bars and higher rated springs then the RL's suspension...

I could definitely see going for such an upgrade on the base sky since the stock suspension was engineered for the cruiser and not the enthusiast. However, it would seem like a waste of money to purchase this on a RL. I wouldn't make that decision unless you're able to test drive a base sky with sport supension and a RL back to back.
I can and will do that, as I have the upgrade on Serenity, it will be part of Mark & myself's evaluation.

ERNEST

Victory Red

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:28 PM

From solsticeforum.com, Q&A from an engineer that was at the Kansas City National Solstice Meet.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...0&postcount=25

According to this, the bars you can buy for the performance suspension are the same as the "FE3" suspension level.

The springs are stiffer than the Redline suspension, which is stiffer than the naturally aspirated SKY suspension.

Hope that helps
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

"According to this, the bars you can buy for the performance suspension are the same as the "FE3" suspension level.

The springs are stiffer than the Redline suspension, which is stiffer than the naturally aspirated SKY suspension."

So basically the $1584 gets you stiffer springs? If this is true... will R/L handle THAT much better with upgrade?? Curious as to what your testing will show.

Deposit 7/4/06
Delivery 2/10/07
Black Onyx REDLINE
Black Leather/Red Trim
Spoiler, Chrome Wheels
Three Pedals

Last edited by BLUERIDGE SKY; 08-13-2006 at 10:53 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUERIDGE SKY
"According to this, the bars you can buy for the performance suspension are the same as the "FE3" suspension level.

The springs are stiffer than the Redline suspension, which is stiffer than the naturally aspirated SKY suspension."

So basically the $1584 gets you stiffer springs? If this is true... will R/L handle THAT much better with upgrade?? Curious as to what your testing will show.
Okay, let's see if I can get this cleared up a bit.
1) Buy a standard Sky and you can opt for the FE2 sport suspension as a factory installed option. This is the BASE suspension on the Redline and GXP. I believe that the FE2 has firm shocks, springs, heavier sway bars, and firmer suspension bushings.
2) Buy a Redline and, as I said above, the FE2 suspension is standard equipment.
3) Buy a base Sky with the base suspension and you can spend the $1584 for the DEALER installed upgrade suspension. Copied from the Redline "built your car page;

Performance Suspension Kit
The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks.

This is available for the base or Redline, and it is the same package. It is NOT the FE2, it is the FE3, and the FE3 is ONLY available factory installed on the Z0K Solstice.

Confused yet? NO? Well, read on - the dealer installed suspension package (bars, shocks, springs, bushings) IS DEALER INSTALLED and there will be a labor charge for that. And it probably will NOT be a cheap install. I have done control arm bushings on two cars in the past and it is a real experience. Others have commented on either this, or the Solstice, forum and said that the FE3 IS firmer than the FE2. It boils down to some decisions - what do you want out your car? The FE2 is the only way to stay in stock class in SCCA Solo ll, but the FE3 would throw you into tougher classes. If you want to bomb around and have fun, I would strongly suggest either the stock Redline setup or opt for the FE2 on the base Sky. Then, in a year or so, the aftermarket will have externally adjustable shocks that can easily be installed and you can dial in and out the firmness level you want.

See, NOTHING is easy. It's like . So, DavidK, based on what you want to do, the standard Redline setup, or an FE2 option on the base Sky will "get 'r done". So ignore my first response on 8-11.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:57 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I think for the kind of driving I'll be doing (some aggressive - mostly cruising) the standard R/L setup will do just fine. This is basically the same kind of driving I do with Harley. Don't have to be "all out" to get a rush.. especially at age 62..... Sometimes just feeling the wind blow gets me off...

Deposit 7/4/06
Delivery 2/10/07
Black Onyx REDLINE
Black Leather/Red Trim
Spoiler, Chrome Wheels
Three Pedals
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 AM

Its like buying all my SUVs in the last 10 years. Some were 4x4s, some were all wheel drive. Some had mudder tires, others were built for speed. The only time they went off road was if I was forced off the road by some misbegotten soul who lost control of their car.
I think my SKy REDLINE will be great for the driving I plan to do. No raceway in my future. I would rather cruise up the Northeast coast and see the changing of the leaves, then race around a track. But that is just me.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:09 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheytx
Its like buying all my SUVs in the last 10 years. Some were 4x4s, some were all wheel drive. Some had mudder tires, others were built for speed. The only time they went off road was if I was forced off the road by some misbegotten soul who lost control of their car.
I think my SKy REDLINE will be great for the driving I plan to do. No raceway in my future. I would rather cruise up the Northeast coast and see the changing of the leaves, then race around a track. But that is just me.
I might just tag along with you

ERNEST

Victory Red

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob
Okay, let's see if I can get this cleared up a bit.
1) Buy a standard Sky and you can opt for the FE2 sport suspension as a factory installed option. This is the BASE suspension on the Redline and GXP. I believe that the FE2 has firm shocks, springs, heavier sway bars, and firmer suspension bushings.
2) Buy a Redline and, as I said above, the FE2 suspension is standard equipment.
3) Buy a base Sky with the base suspension and you can spend the $1584 for the DEALER installed upgrade suspension. Copied from the Redline "built your car page;

Performance Suspension Kit
The performance suspension kit allows the SKY to carve tighter corners with even more precision. Includes front and rear stabilizer bars, bushings and sport-tuned, coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks.

This is available for the base or Redline, and it is the same package. It is NOT the FE2, it is the FE3, and the FE3 is ONLY available factory installed on the Z0K Solstice.

Confused yet? NO? Well, read on - the dealer installed suspension package (bars, shocks, springs, bushings) IS DEALER INSTALLED and there will be a labor charge for that. And it probably will NOT be a cheap install. I have done control arm bushings on two cars in the past and it is a real experience. Others have commented on either this, or the Solstice, forum and said that the FE3 IS firmer than the FE2. It boils down to some decisions - what do you want out your car? The FE2 is the only way to stay in stock class in SCCA Solo ll, but the FE3 would throw you into tougher classes. If you want to bomb around and have fun, I would strongly suggest either the stock Redline setup or opt for the FE2 on the base Sky. Then, in a year or so, the aftermarket will have externally adjustable shocks that can easily be installed and you can dial in and out the firmness level you want.

See, NOTHING is easy. It's like . So, DavidK, based on what you want to do, the standard Redline setup, or an FE2 option on the base Sky will "get 'r done". So ignore my first response on 8-11.
bob, I think if I read the engineer's answer I think it's simpler than that.

1) FE2 suspension standard on the base Solstice and SKY. The SKY has a slight difference in shocks but same springs and bars.

2) FE3 suspension is standard on the Redline and GXP, and available as a stripped-down car on Solstice only as the Z0K. Stiffer springs, different shock tuning, and a larger set of stabilizer bars.

For what you can buy from the factory, that's your choices. You can't buy a naturally-aspirated SKY with the FE3 suspension.

Now the performance suspension available "dealer installed" consists (if I'm reading it right) of the FE3 stabilizer bars and stiffer-than-FE3 springs and retuned shocks. So, for GM-available aftermarket upgrades, you can start with a naturally aspirated FE2 and put stiffer springs/shocks/bars on.

OR

you can start with a redline, and just install the springs/shocks and save the few hundred because the stabilzer bars are already on the car.

The thing not mentioned is the bushings - I think the FE3 packages have stiffer lower control arm bushings (trying to confirm, but looking at P/N's it appears so). So, at some point, if you have a naturally-aspirated SKY, and you upgrade, you SHOULD be able to buy the lower control arms or even the bushings only, and retrofit them for some improvement without having to go to polyurethane (which can be noisy and squeaky).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

________ And with that I am ____________ for work!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:10 AM

What we need is the exact specifications and difference between the base suspension, FE2, and FE3.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in