Spark Plugs: e3.74 ? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Spark Plugs: e3.74 ?

Has any one switch over and used the e3.74 spark plug. If so any noticeable difference? And why the .74? There's other variants from e3 such as the .56 or .66. Any info would be great. I am the second owner of this 2009 Sky Red Line and I'm told by the previous owner that the current plugs are the originals. So a change in plugs is in the very short near-term future.

Also, what replacement performance coils are recommended?

Thx so much . . .

Last edited by AndInConclusion; 10-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Garage
Our plugs r good till 100 thousand....or whenever u wish to change them
AndInConclusion likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
On the turbo cars, even though the manual says 100k, it's actually about 25-35k. Performance really falls off after about 60k on them and then the CELs follow. Don't waste your $$$ on gimicky spark plugs. A lot of the time they make the combustion chamber run hotter then what it is meant to be, and with the thin piston heads, they easily melt holes in them. The coils are also fine...don't worry about a "better" one until you're putting more air/fuel into the motor. So basically what I'm saying is that the OE stuff is just fine until your upgrades call for it. Of course what I said is for the turbo cars....but same would go for 2.4L as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

So I changed to e3.74 plugs to try them out. They look very impressive. I’ve driven about 100 miles on them and I did not feel any noticeable push or drop in performance. However, what I now have is an intermittent P2178 code that comes and goes. I’m looking at changing out the e3’s for something else. The originals have about 35,000 on them and look clean however the center electrode appears to be worn to the size of a pin head. Any recommendations on an alternative third choice to experiment?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
What problem with the stock plugs are you trying to fix?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndInConclusion View Post
So I changed to e3.74 plugs to try them out. They look very impressive. I’ve driven about 100 miles on them and I did not feel any noticeable push or drop in performance. However, what I now have is an intermittent P2178 code that comes and goes. I’m looking at changing out the e3’s for something else. The originals have about 35,000 on them and look clean however the center electrode appears to be worn to the size of a pin head. Any recommendations on an alternative third choice to experiment?
You are much like me 8 years ago when I bought my car....looking for something better then what GM gave me. Trust me, as I was told, when I was a baby owner of a Kappa, the OE stuff like headlights(Soup), plugs, coils, hoses, etc are just fine until you add a different turbo. You're getting the p2178 because you have 1 of possibly 2 things that are an issue.... #1 (and probably the reason) is that you posted here and still put the e3 plugs in your car, stick with the ACDelco plug... or #2 , you have a HPFP that's leaking into the oil. This is BAD!! That's what I had. If it still happens after you put the OE plugs back into it, this is the issue. Trust me. I spent almost a year chasing this code. Stick with ACDelco plugs...as I stated, we've all learned here the others are gimmicky and cause issues...as you've now found out. And if you were the one posting on Facebook, and I said not to do it there.....DO NOT listen to the quacks on Facebook!!! Last week on Facebook, I was told by someone that had a "GM chip installed" that they were making 300whp with no mods. First, there is no "GM chip", it's a program in your ECM(but this is a complete other story)...You need to come here and talk to us if you want real answers. On Facebook there's a lot of mis-information, and most of the guys suppling it say that about these forums...which isn't true. These forums are legit in ANYTHING you want to do or ask. And if nobody here knows, we all put our thoughts into it.

Now this being said, if you were like me 8 years ago, you aren't going to listen about putting the ACDelco plugs back in and you're going to spend another $80 on different plugs, which are going to still cause issues. Then and only then will you say, "I should have listened to them"..... But I don't blame you, trial and error is the only way to know if what I'm saying is true. Just like I didn't believe Soup about my headlights...but after our little tiff online, I respect everything Soup (and this group) now tells me. Now go out there and spend $20 on 4 new ACDelco plugs instead of $80 on gimmicks. (At least you don't have to buy 16 plugs like I do for my Charger!!). Please let us know if the plugs fix the p2178 issue. I can give you instructions on the HPFP replacement if it doesn't.

EDIT: After reading this, I may have came off a little harsh...not trying to do that. Just trying to explain that I didn't believe a lot at first when people told me here what to do and not to do...it's human nature to not trust someone...especially a complete stranger online. Hope you get this sorted out....and stick with the OE plugs!!

Last edited by The_Ghost; 11-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
What Ghost said! ^^

Plus...

Quote:
The originals have about 35,000 on them and look clean however the center electrode appears to be worn to the size of a pin head.
Well, yeah... that's what Iridium plugs are supposed to look like:

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
I usually switch to NGK plugs on all of my cars as I have found them to be excellent for both street and track over the years, but the reputation of the stock spec plugs on the LNF engines seems to be excellent, so I intend to stick with them.

Why do you (the OP) want to change to different plugs? What are you hoping to gain?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much TomatoSoup and Ghost. I’m switching to a new set of AC Delco plugs as you all suggest. Hopefully that will cure this intermittent code from appearing. BTW, I’m not a FaceBook guy, so that wasn’t me. I’m totally in love with the Sky and the LNF 2.0T engine. Any HPFP issues I’ll let you know but so far no sputtering just silky smooth acceleration and idle.

So why change the plugs? At 35k miles it seemed like a good idea and why not experiment ? Flog next, I’m whimpering back to OE stuff.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Like wives, I thought a change would be good. Unlike wives, to change back is inexpensive 😊.
The_Ghost likes this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much TomatoSoup and Ghost. I知 switching to a new set of AC Delco plugs as you all suggest. Hopefully that will cure this intermittent code from appearing. BTW, I知 not a FaceBook guy, so that wasn稚 me. I知 totally in love with the Sky and the LNF 2.0T engine. Any HPFP issues I値l let you know but so far no sputtering just silky smooth acceleration and idle.

So why change the plugs? At 35k miles it seemed like a good idea and why not experiment ? Flog next, I知 whimpering back to OE stuff.
LOL....no biggie. Just a quick note, there won't be any sputtering or unusual effects of a leaking HPFP. If you have a manual and leave in gear during coast down, you might get backfiring...if you do, its a sure sign of fuel leaking into the crankcase from the HPFP. You won't have any other symptoms....if your's fails the same way mine did.... Most have catastrophic failure and they aren't able to do anything but limp home....but this is the other way it can fail. It's a pretty common issue on the Cobalt forum....
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

So I have diligently and meticulously changed to a new set of AC Delco's. What is your opinion of the condition of the new E3.74's after only 100 miles in the Sky LNF 2.0L turbo? Numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 cylinder from left to right, there's a huge variance in condition. Plugs 1 and 2 seem OK, but plugs 3 and 4 are quite sooty and beaten up. Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	106035   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	106037  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Last time i checked AC Delco had two spark plug models suitable for us...When i asked them on Facebook they didn't point out the differences......Anyone here has tried both or just the default/stock ones?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Here is a quote right from e3's website:

A black, feathery carbon deposit on your spark plugs can be an indication of a weak spark or an overly rich fuel mixture. Causes may include a stuck choke, misadjusted or heavy carburetor float, a leaky injector or carburetor needle valve, low coil output or high resistance in your spark plug wires. A dead oxygen sensor or coolant sensor also can be a cause of carbon fouling.

So my guess is that these plugs don't live up to their hype. My guess is that the triple ground electrode does nothing more then to divide the spark in hopes of a more "even" fuel burn in the cylinder. And with the black already on it, and your p2178 code, the spark probably isn't hot enough (concentrated enough) to burn all the fuel in the cylinder.

Maybe someone can chime in here.....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Last time i checked AC Delco had two spark plug models suitable for us...When i asked them on Facebook they didn't point out the differences......Anyone here has tried both or just the default/stock ones?
One is for higher boost engines IMSMC. Just go stock unless you're pushing over 25psi of boost.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in