Is there an exhaust that really adds any hp? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By skersfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is there an exhaust that really adds any hp?

I have an 09 RL and just added a solo hfc and a budget Trifecta tune. Feels like it could use a few more ponies if there is an exhaust that does that. A LITTLE more sound is okay, but not much. Does such an exhaust exist?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
No such muffler system exists. However, a high flow cat - like Solo sells - will gain you a few ponies.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
TS is right. The Solo HFC and the tune you did is going to give you the most bang for the buck.

The stock cat is the biggest restriction in the stock post-turbo exhaust system. From the cat back, the factory exhaust system is 2.5" with no major bends (it does have a few bends but nothing close to 90*) all the way back to the exhaust. Until you get over 400 WHP, the 2.5" flows without much restriction. It's a really good factory exhaust.

Magnaflow even mentioned that the 3.0" exhaust they sell would give no further benefits over their 2.5" exhaust. I think the measured difference between the stock system and their systems were 5 hp or less on a stock Redline. Even on the 2.4 their 2.5" exhaust only produced about a 7 whp gain.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm not a fan of obnoxious exhaust noise or spending $ for something that shows no gains. I appreciate the input.
That 620hp Z06 has spoiled me a bit...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Garage
It should be noted that the Magnaflow necks down at the front joint and isn't a full 3" throughout, but that doesn't change the statements that other than the HFC, and exhaust changes are just for sound.

If you want more power you would need to go for a change in turbo and a subsequent retune (Trifecta offers that service.)

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
Yea then you will know what real disappointment feels like!!! 9 months and waiting for the 4K improvement.

I suggest you get rid of your car and go back to the Vette. You are not going to be satisifed with this car, no matter what you do to it.

Leave the car stock, put the budget tune, on correctly and then leave it alone. Or you need to develop a lot of patience and huge pocketbook and be ready to tweak the thing continously.

I have been both ways now. 650WHP Mallett, 400 whp Bigger Turbo Sky. Would rather have and drive the stock Redline with the Trifecta tune. It is dependable, the same every time you step on the gas.

Fix the susupension and leave the rest alone. Life will be easier and happier.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Skersfan, I have to respectively disagree.

The vette has been sent with the son who has the budget to road race it, and truthfully I like driving this car more than the vette. Like a go kart I can stay dry in when it rains. I like this little sky and I'm not looking to have something that will beat all comers. The stock suspension with the new oem shocks now installed is just fine. Getting the car to reliably hit 23lbs of boost and the accompanying power that should be there with that will be plenty.

I am not trying to get to where some of you have gotten to. If I can get 330bhp out of this I'll be just fine. The question on the catback was a desire to gain another few ponies as typically with my V8 experiences that's possible, but you guys have way more knowledge on this car then I do so I thought I'd ask.

The rep from solo tells me their Mach exhaust is slightly louder than stock and would give me 10-12 rwhp. I see many comments that none of the other catbacks really do anything, but it seems the solo products are one of the few that might. Can anyone verify if that is the case? I like the slightly better sound than stock but curious if their product does or doesn't give any hp gains?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
I did the budget tune with DDM charge tubes and GMPP CAI. I also had the Magna flow exhaust. Added the Solo HF cat. had it retuned for that addition and be perfectly honest never noticed any seat of the pants difference. I think a claimed 30HP gain.

Something is wrong with your tune. You are not going to do anything that will give the base tune performance for the price. It is very very noticable. Really more so than just about anything you can do percentage wise.

If you like the handling the way it is, you may not be able to tell the improvement from the braces. I never really noticed a great change in the car until I put the cross engine brace in. But that made a huge difference for me.

I would put the tunnel brace in the car. The car needs it. Convertibles are weak in the door sill areas. The tunnel brace strengthens that area. As to it making it drive better to each their own. But once it is on you can feel the car when you drive thru a gas station entrance. The twist that is normal, becomes more of a go kart feel. With the half inch brace the tires will actually leave the ground.

I have been on here for four years, and have never heard anyone say they could not feel the budget tune upgrade. Most rave about it.

My experience in older hot rods, 427 Fords, 427 Chevy's and Hemi's, you never got that type of performance gain for 200.00 bucks, possibly 2000.00 back in the early 70's.

I would have erased and reinstalled. Something is wrong IMHO.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks skersfan, the 2 suspension braces you mentioned were all I've considered doing for the suspension. Best brand and price?

I'm going to throw some new plugs in today and see if that helps.

I should clarify that immediately after the tune and when the dic showed 23lbs max I could feel a slight improvement. After all the raves on here I was expecting to rave as well and as you said, getting 50+ ponies for $200 would be a bargain.

With it now not wanting to go past 20lbs I am thinking something isn't right, whether it's old plugs or a pipe connection leak I'm not sure.

I sure appreciate everyone's feedback and insight on this car that I'm not familiar with!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
DDM tunnel brace for sure. if you change the exhaust or put on a high flow cat, your going to need to get another tune.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Actually I already have the solo HFC and Trifecta told me that if all I do is the hfc and a cat back exhaust the budget tune will accommodate those with no additional tuning required.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in