Traction control off=Competition Mode? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Traction control off=Competition Mode?

When I press the Competition Mode button does it do more than turn off traction control?... is that all "competition mode" is? That's my understanding, if I'm wrong please enlighten me. In another thread someone said something about pressing the Competition Mode button twice in order to be in competition mode... is that right?... and what's the difference?

Redline
Black/Black Leather
Manual Transmission
Delivered/Picked up 12/19/06
4200 Shipped 12/5/06
4b00 Bayed 12/4/06
4000 Availavle to ship 12/1/06
3800 nProduced 12/1/06
$1000 deposit 6/26
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm assuming this works the same as my Corvette. If you turn the traction control button off, it also turns off the electronic stability control. In competition mode the stability control remains on for safety but turns off the traction control for more "spirited" driving (hence "competition mode").
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Antonio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsYellowRL View Post
I'm assuming this works the same as my Corvette. If you turn the traction control button off, it also turns off the electronic stability control. In competition mode the stability control remains on for safety but turns off the traction control for more "spirited" driving (hence "competition mode").
That is correct. Push the button once.....all systems off (except ABS of course)

Push button a second time within 5 seconds of the first push, car is in Competitive Mode. Electronic Stability Control is still on, but Traction Control is off.

The DIC in your dash will show you which mode you're in as you push the button. Also a small yellow icon of a triangle and a car with wiggly lines will show on the dash when either Traction Off or Competitive Mode. It will disappear when you push it later to turn all systems back on.

HAD - '07 Redline -292 whp & 327 wtq - SOLD :(
HAVE - '02 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Fully built top end w/ bolt ons - 500+whp ALL MOTOR :)
http://youtube.com/profile?user=talkaboutblue
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
That is correct. Push the button once.....all systems off (except ABS of course)

Push button a second time within 5 seconds of the first push, car is in Competitive Mode. Electronic Stability Control is still on, but Traction Control is off.

The DIC in your dash will show you which mode you're in as you push the button. Also a small yellow icon of a triangle and a car with wiggly lines will show on the dash when either Traction Off or Competitive Mode. It will disappear when you push it later to turn all systems back on.
I'll check the owner's manual again, but I don't recall seeing anything about pushing the button twice for competition mode... now, it may seem like a silly question to some, but why would I NOT want Electronic Stability Control to be turned on. I mean, if "Competition Mode" has Electronic Stability Control engaged, then why would I ever want it turned off to begin with?.. that just doesn't make sense to me.

Redline
Black/Black Leather
Manual Transmission
4200 Shipped 12/5/06
4b00 Bayed 12/4/06
3800 nProduced 12/1/06
$1000 deposit 6/26
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Push once = tracton control off, ESC and ABS engaged

Push 2nd time (within 5 seconds) = Comp mode = traction control off, ESC and ABS engaged at a performance enhanced level.

Push and hold for 10 seconds = Traction control off, ESC off and I am still up in the air on whether ABS is on in this mode. (Confirmed by snaponbob that ABS is still enabled)

Once you are in any mode (traction off, competitive, or ESC off) hitting the button once will turn everything back on. If you shut off your car and turn it back on, everything will be turned back on.

<clarifications added by admin>

Midnight BlueRedline
Delivered 2/17/07

Last edited by KappaMan; 03-22-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: clarification
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinmb View Post
I'll check the owner's manual again, but I don't recall seeing anything about pushing the button twice for competition mode... now, it may seem like a silly question to some, but why would I NOT want Electronic Stability Control to be turned on. I mean, if "Competition Mode" has Electronic Stability Control engaged, then why would I ever want it turned off to begin with?.. that just doesn't make sense to me.
In a true performance setting, a good driver can outperform the Default and Comp mode.

Midnight BlueRedline
Delivered 2/17/07

Last edited by Daywalker; 03-21-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 PM

no offense. But I'm 100% sure. The easiest way to see I'm right is to go outside in your redline, start the engine, and try it out.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Okay, Daywalker has the sequence correct. The only thing that will kill the ABS is removing the fuse.

I have autocrossed my RL twice. The first time I ran it in Comp mode. The second time was with everything off. MUCH better. Even in Comp mode, the car tries to take over at very inopportune times. The ABS is very effective, even autocrossing. I was pushing the envelope in threshold braking and ABS took over. Yeah!! No flatspots on my Hoosiers. The other thing I have discovered is that running all the way to the 6200 redline is a waste in competition. Shifting between 5700-6000 rpm means you will not hit the rev limiter, and there is plenty of torque to pull the car in 2nd or 3rd. A little busier in the cockpit, but quicker, so far.

HTH.

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red,
complete option list except auto,
owner installed lock buttons,
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
no offense. But I'm 100% sure. The easiest way to see I'm right is to go outside in your redline, start the engine, and try it out.
I dont know if you are directing this to what I said, but to clarify see below.

Page 199 of the manual.

Traction Control System - ON
This system limits wheel spin. The system only operates if it senses the rear wheels are spinning to much or are beginning to loose traction. When this happens, the system works the rear brakes and reduces engine power to limit wheel spin.

OFF- The system will not limit wheel spin.

Page 201
Electronic Stability Control

The ESC system combines, anti-lock brake, traction control and stability control systems and helps the driver maintain DIRECTIONAL control of the vehicle in most driving conditions.

Page 203
Competetive Driving Mode
This mode allows the driver to have FULL control of the rear wheels while the ESC system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. When Competetive mode is selected the traction control system will not be operating.

The manual does not clearly cover full off, but if you look at your DIC while holding the button for approx 10 seconds you will see it indicate traction off first then it will indicate ESC off next. Now your in full manual mode. As you said, go turn the car on and check it out. The all off mode is by far, IMHO, the best option for performance driving.

Midnight BlueRedline
Delivered 2/17/07
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Thanks for the clarification on the ABS Bob. I thought I have detected a little lockup, but I was on loose gravel in the all off mode and more than likely the ABS was working properly, I just did not detect it back through the pedal.

Midnight BlueRedline
Delivered 2/17/07
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 AM

no it wasn't in reference to you daywalker.

I agree with what you said.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Perfect timing for this thread.
This morning I was making a rather quick start and suddenly I heard a warning ding. Readout said ESC OFF then flashed SERVICE ESC. I was in normal mode (not competition). Do I need to take it in for service or can I simply hit the reset button?

Also, any idea why this happened?

Bluestone
Black leather & top
Deposit Feb. '06
Ordered May '06
Built 1/26/07
In my hands 2/19/07

Last edited by CRACKTHESKY; 03-22-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add question
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM

I had a similar situation. I was in some "spirited driving" and heard the same ding and ESC OFF followed by SERVICE ESC. I immediately pulled over and tried the traction control button.......nothing. I turned the car off, and then turned it on again, and everything was fine. About 2 weeks ago, my car was in service for something completely unrelated, and when they gave me a small update during the week, they said they were also waiting for a new Body Control Module. I didn't question it since it's no charge to me, but I was kinda surprised to hear them say that since none of the reasons I brought it in for would suggest changing that.........other than that little SERVICE ESC moment. Well, in any case, I'd suggest just taking it to the dealer and tell them what happened. It's an easy fix if it's the same Body Control Module that I had.

Did your warning remain on after turning off your car and turning it back on? If it remains on, then I'd suggest you take it to the dealer asap.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKTHESKY View Post
Perfect timing for this thread.
This morning I was making a rather quick start and suddenly I heard a warning ding. Readout said ESC OFF then flashed SERVICE ESC. I was in normal mode (not competition). Do I need to take it in for service or can I simply hit the reset button?

Also, any idea why this happened?
When my RedLine had like 25 miles, I got the "SERVICE ESC" light; I just turned the car off and back on again... I have not seen it since...

Thanks to Daywalker for "learning me up" on the FULL OFF procedure!!! i will try it and enjoy it to the fullest...

I had tried to do a power slide coming off my work's entrance and everytime, even though I was in Competitive Mode, it "shut me down" and I saw the ESC Active on the DIC and I was puzzled since I thought ESC would be OFF in that mode... Oh well... I know now!!!

Regards,

BA...

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

wow.....thanks for all the info and clarifying any misconceptions I had. It really is appreciated.

Redline
Black/Black Leather
Manual Transmission
4200 Shipped 12/5/06
4b00 Bayed 12/4/06
3800 nProduced 12/1/06
$1000 deposit 6/26

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in