Trifecta installed - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Trifecta installed

Hi all,
Decided to go with the budget tune and finally got some nice weather today in western MA. The procedure went smoothly until I moved my laptop to the passenger seat at around 20% completion to light up a smoke while waiting. The usb connector moved and lost contact. What followed was a variety bells, chimes and beeps from the dash. The upload stopped, naturally. Lol. I had visions of tow trucks.
So, I started over but this time I rested the laptop on the seat and avoided the red Trifecta patch cord. Took about 15 minutes and it completed successfully.
After disconnecting the laptop, I said a short prayer and started her up. No dummy light came on so I went for a spin around the block just to see what the boost gauge would read. Pressed the cruise control to on, I floored it and boost when up to 12-13psi, like always.
Dang it, I though. It didnít take.
Then I remember reading a forum post about the cruise control being programmed to turn on the tri tune in the off position. Worth a shot, I figured.
This time the boost climbed to 21psi. Yes...
Unfortunately, I didnít have time to hit the highway today, so tomorrow is the day for that. I want to see if it throws any codes at sustained boost.
Stay tuned....
a280z likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Drove the RL at highway speeds today. Turning the tune on and off(cruise control) and what not. I noticed a very significant difference. Not only did the boost max at 21psi, the shift points happened at 6k rpm. Very nice. Kinda like a "sport mode" that some performance cars have.
So, cheers to Trifecta, happy motoring, and stay safe.
jshines likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Great to hear that everything worked fine.
I am thinking of going the same way as you did.
Did you change the intake pipes also ?
What kind of operating system did you use on your laptop?

Last edited by Kjelle69; 04-15-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
Great to hear that everything worked fine.
I am thinking of going the same way as you did.
Did you change the intake pipes also ?
What kind of operating system did you use on your laptop?
Nope. The car is completely stock. Trifecta recomends Win 8.1 or higher. I used Win 10. Just remember, while connected to the OBD, place your laptop on a steady surface and make sure the usb end of the cable doesnít get wiggled.
Have fun....
Kjelle69 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Sky View Post
Nope. The car is completely stock. Trifecta recomends Win 8.1 or higher. I used Win 10. Just remember, while connected to the OBD, place your laptop on a steady surface and make sure the usb end of the cable doesnít get wiggled.
Have fun....
Yeah, this was my biggest fear so I had it set up so I could get in and out of car without touching any wire or cable. My install went smooth. Win 10
Kjelle69 likes this.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Nice! Same here. Suggest plugging in 2amp+ charger to make sure the battery doesn't die, setting laptop not to go to sleep, and using an AC adapter to keep laptop plugged in.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a280z View Post
Nice! Same here. Suggest plugging in 2amp+ charger to make sure the battery doesn't die, setting laptop not to go to sleep, and using an AC adapter to keep laptop plugged in.
....umm... just a little overkill....

10 minutes sitting in my car with the laptop and everything was all installed and set up.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line, Midnight Blue
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
As far as PSI, the car consistently hits 23 when I enter I-95 to / from work. I know Trifecta is just a canned calibration, not a real tune, but for a simple daily driver like me, it is a nice basic addition without stressing out the other components of the car.
Kjelle69 and jshines like this.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line, Midnight Blue

Last edited by Knight; 04-17-2019 at 08:30 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
As far as PSI, the car consistently hits 23 when I enter I-95 to / from work. I know Trifecta is just a canned calibration, not a real tune, but for a simple daily driver like me, it is a nice basic addition without stressing out the other components of the car.
I've had the Trifecta canned tune on my car for five years and I've never really been want for more power. The one thing it really does is brings the torque curve down lower in the revs so that you get a fantastic shove driving around town. In the high end you're getting more power as well, but it's the low-RPM punch that really impresses...
davhamm and Kjelle69 like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Garage
How is the torque with this tune? If you are driving slow on first and just push the gas pedal down, will it spin on a dry road?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
How is the torque with this tune? If you are driving slow on first and just push the gas pedal down, will it spin on a dry road?
Yes, in first and second. Third if your tires are kinda bald or there is any moisture on the road. It can also unsettle the car in 4th on the highway at a very specific speed/rpm (don't know what it is, but can feel/anticipate it after a bit of experience).
mstrjon32, Kjelle69 and jshines like this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Outstanding. Yes, absolutely if you are driving on cold tires. If you have fresh, warmed up rubber you can make the most of the power, and get a very satisfying wiggle coming out of corners. It really makes the car supremely fun to drive at speeds under 100 km/h. As a value for money I can't recommend it enough.

I will say though, if you are out really abusing the throttle on a warm day, the car is prone to heat soak with the tune, and you can feel the power start to fade off a bit until the cars cools back down. This hasn't bothered me enough to do something about it, however.
Kjelle69 and a280z like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:43 AM

Garage
Sounds fantastic guys, I mean I am 50 now but I still like it when the vehicles are lively and dynamical
When you say 'heat soak', how do you mean? Cooling water getting to hot or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Outstanding. Yes, absolutely if you are driving on cold tires. If you have fresh, warmed up rubber you can make the most of the power, and get a very satisfying wiggle coming out of corners. It really makes the car supremely fun to drive at speeds under 100 km/h. As a value for money I can't recommend it enough.

I will say though, if you are out really abusing the throttle on a warm day, the car is prone to heat soak with the tune, and you can feel the power start to fade off a bit until the cars cools back down. This hasn't bothered me enough to do something about it, however.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
When you say 'heat soak', how do you mean? Cooling water getting to hot or ?
Coolant temperature generally stays normal, but the intake, turbo, intercooler, etc. all will start to heat up when you are continuously running 23 PSI, especially if you're not really moving too quickly, that is, driving on the Autobahn going 200+ to get air moving through. If you do this long enough then you'll notice the power fall off, but once the car cools back down it's back to normal.

I still think even when hot you're getting more power than you do on the stock tune. If that's a great thing for the engine and turbo, who is to say, really...
Kjelle69 likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
Heat soak isn't an issue if you drive like most of us - bursts of hard acceleration punctuated by longer steady cruising or off boost driving in traffic. You are unlikely to see much drop off in power unless you are driving quite hard - the example we have seen are back to back runs in solo events where there isn't time for the hot intake to recover - in that case a larger intercooler improves things.
Kjelle69 likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in